Trailer in Idaho, needing eyes - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-16-2017, 02:08 AM   #1

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Utah
Trailer in Idaho, needing eyes

Hey everyone!

I found a trailer in northern Idaho of one that I am about ready to jump on the ownership bandwagon with. The downside is it is 9 hours one way from where I live. My question is: is there anyone that lives in or around northern Idaho that could help me by taking a look at the trailer? I'll pay for your time via paypal.

Yes, I know I should probably do the 'down payment and hope' method, but unfortunately I end up in situations where I am taken advantage of... A lot. I just want to see if someone could get eyes on said trailer as well as find the vin # so I can run it through any police database to make sure it isn't stolen either. Guy seems somewhat trustworthy, but then again, I have a hopelessly romantic view that just about anyone that sounds nice is a good person.

I've been around long enough here on the forum that I trust you guys as well I trust to help me out. If any of you by chance find a trailer in Utah, I'll do the favor of getting eyes on it for you.

Thanks for your time and help. Have a good one!
Patdeesky

Old 10-16-2017, 03:55 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Patrick, there are 3rd party people in most every town you can hire to do an unbiased inspection. Learned that the hard way after spending 6K on a 66 Mustang years ago with only pictures & some talk with the "truthful" owner. But you live and learn. A TT is different than a car but a 3rd party is still better than going in blind. Hope a FGRV member is close to step in for you, good luck to you.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:20 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
patrick patrick

Patrick have you talked to the man yet personally? I buy many things sight unseen. maybe I have a knack for this I don't know I will admit I got took once but everything worked out ok.

so what if you drive 9 hours the last 2 campers I bought was 9 hours away that is the way it works for some reason. in your plan figure in a motel bill of some if things don't work out no biggee in the long term of things.

I say give it a shot you can p/m me if you want

bob
Old 10-16-2017, 11:46 AM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: Uhaul
Tennessee
If you are unwilling (I am sure you are not unable) to spend the time to go look at a trailer that is 9 hours away you should not be shopping for trailers that are 9 hours away.

Harsh statement? Yes!

Reality? Yes!

Time to get in the truck and go "LOOK before you Leap"!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:12 PM   #5

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Try this - I did

Find a trailer sales/repair firm in Northern Idaho, hire them to look/inspect....worked for me.
Good luck.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:12 PM   #6

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
I have had someone do that for me and I would certainly help a forum member out if I could. It might help if you narrowed down the location for members who live close by. Is it the one near Coeur d'Alene by chance?
Unfortunately I have no plans to go that way in the near future, it's a couple of hours from me.
Good luck,
Old 10-16-2017, 08:48 PM   #7

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
If you are unwilling (I am sure you are not unable) to spend the time to go look at a trailer that is 9 hours away you should not be shopping for trailers that are 9 hours away.

Harsh statement? Yes!

Reality? Yes!

Time to get in the truck and go "LOOK before you Leap"!
Hey, so I guess things needs explaining, after all this is the Internet and comments can come across as insulting. As well, this is for everyone reading this thread too.

I work two jobs, one being a grocery job that sucks. I don't get weekends. No Saturday or Sunday like normal people. When I get two days off in a row it is a pleasant surprise as it happens once every two months. Yes, I have been keeping track. Additionally, I don't get fixed days off either as they are rotating. As in, I might have a Monday and Wednesday off one week, then next week I get Monday then Thursday off. It's a shake up. Oh, and the schedule is written two weeks out. So when I have a chance on a trailer I'm going to take it.
So that means I don't have the luxury of jumping in my truck whenever I want. "Take time off the jobs then." Problem is, even though I got money for a trailer in a do not touch account, I am paying my mothers rent and helping my sister get another car. Should I probably not get a trailer? Maybe? But this is my life, my choice, my curcumstances.
I want to get a trailer to get away from my life. I wasted 11 years so far on video games, and I want out. When I get that proverbial two days off in a row I want to go somewhere that can take my frail body and have fun.
Trying not to take offense to your comments, but it was insensitive of you to say stuff like that. I wouldn't be asking for help if I truly didn't need it.

PS
To try to convey that I have no hard feelings, I just want to say thank you for being a trucker, retired or otherwise. You guys are my heroes, well, at least the honest ones.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:19 PM   #8

Missouri
pat pat

pat I managed a grocery store once I was sympathetic to any employees honest request. I bet if you talked to him you could get 2 days in a row off maybe the eve. before but you have to ask and ask nicely.

I know how stressful things are in a grocery store and now so many unreliable workers.

My opinion I would not rely on anyones word but mine the rest of you can do what you want not to insult anyone.

You have to have things lined up before all these requests truck or car ready with hitch, money lined up schedules made check the internet for cheap motels in case the deal blows up you don't want to drive back the same day. Now if you buy the trailer you can boondock at Walmarts on the way back home.

give this a shot

bob
Old 10-16-2017, 10:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Pat, we get it. I've been following this thread just to see if you got any offers. I'm six+ hours away but will be in the area this weekend. As suggested, a little more info on approximate location and type ofvtrailer might entice someone nearby to take a look for you.

I might be willing to at least take a look if it is close to my route. I would not charge, but neither would I offer any warranty. If you just want to get eyes on it to confirm what the seller has told you, it could save you a trip.

If you don't want to post the details, send me a PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:37 AM   #10

Utah
Sorry if I came across as rough. You guys don't deserve it.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:34 AM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patdeesky View Post
Everything is cool Pat. Back when I was 18-19 I worked the other employees time off, days, swings and mids and it changed every week so I understand where you're coming from. Interesting, after reading your post I thought back....I never even thought about asking for time off. Oh to be that young again, what's a vacation .
Just going to toss this out to you. You never know where you may find an egg. You may take some time and drive around neighborhoods in your area and keep an eye out for what may be parked in front or back yards. There have been a few members that found their prize a few blocks away. Good luck in your search.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:33 AM   #12

Missouri
admiration

pat take my word for it as a former employer I would jump on getting someone on my staff like you! I always looked at how a potential employee dressed, cared for themselves, how motivated they were!

It seems today we are in such turmoil did you know 1/2 of potential employees cant pass a drug test now? What is up with that? But with so many failures so many chances for the decent ones!

My advice get to know your managers as well as you can do things to impress them. Let them know you need a fulltime job with benefits. Continue to study your jobs to become a valued employee.

I certainly took no offense at your comments but be careful with your bosses things like this can really hurt you! We are judged every day at work whether we know it or not!

Maybe you were pipe-dreaming a tad we all do it. In your hunt for a tt be patient I have had wishful things pop up many times. have your cash intact and be prepared to pounce when the opportunitiy comes.

Good luck to you and bless you

bob
Old 10-17-2017, 08:08 AM   #13

Missouri
dave I am not real educated but I have experiences I learned in my you life that no one can take away. Did I have abusive bosses yes i did but they were shortly gone I was still there.

With growing up in a house no indoor plumbing, that means no water we learned how to make do. My folks had no education at all my dad was thrown out of his house at 14 a family of 12 kids. Everyone and everything was hard-scrabble in his day. He went as far as he could as he got older things got better for him!

I will never forget of course even in the 40s and later there were always the bums they would point their finger and say we are not allowing you to be like that! They instilled a drive in me to do better in life! I think I did I may have far more than they but wow the heart they had!

At 75 I still miss my parents and their wisdom everything came hard for them but they won out in the end. Life is a hard battle better be prepared for it!

bob
Old 10-17-2017, 09:37 AM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patdeesky View Post
Pat,

I thought that what you said and how you said it was very measured and not at all out of line.

Like Dave, it took me back to when I had to "really" work, and that for perhaps not even much of a living.

Today I take on projects primarily because I enjoy them, not necessarily because I have to.

It's a natural thing to think that other people's lives are just some slightly different version of the life that we lead. But, that's often not true at all.