Trailer Insurance - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2008, 06:09 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi everyone,
I have just learned from my insurance agent that they will not give me insurance on the Oliver until it is registered in Canada!
Can anyone give me some info on what they did when they imported a trailer to Canada, did you have insurance on the trailer when you towed it home, or did you just take a chance and go without.
If you had insurance I would appreciate some info on, who you were able to get it with.
Thanks,
Rob
Rob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Quote:
Hi everyone,
I have just learned from my insurance agent that they will not give me insurance on the Oliver until it is registered in Canada!
Can anyone give me some info on what they did when they imported a trailer to Canada, did you have insurance on the trailer when you towed it home, or did you just take a chance and go without.
If you had insurance I would appreciate some info on, who you were able to get it with.
Thanks,
Rob
Hi Rob,
We imported our Burro last summer and we arranged insurance with our local agent. All auto insurance here in B.C. is government run, so it may be different in Ont. The policy we got covered the vehicle from where we picked it up to where we were taking it (i.e. home) [b]only. After we had it home, we had to wait until we got documentation from the Registrar of Imported Vehicles before we could get the trailer inspected to make sure it met Canadian standards.
Then, to get the trailer to the government inspection agency (Canadian Tire) we had to arrange temporary transit permits which include insurance here. Then once it was OK'd, we were free to take it to the nearest insurance agency to get plates, registration and insurance.
It is also required that you get transit permits from each of the states through which you will be passing from where you collect it to the border.
It's a lot of red tape, but it sounds harder than it really is. Anywhere that deals with auto insurance regularly should be able to walk you through it. E-mail me if you have any further questions.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:49 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1984
There is an article in todays paper re buying a used car in theStates and bringing it back to Canada. As Ian-Vicki said the place to start is Registrar Canada. You can get a list of rules at
http://www.riv.ca.
Ifanyone is importing a car, you can find out which Can. dealerships will do warranty work at http://www.apa.ca
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:56 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet

It's not looking good so far, my auto insurance will cover any vehicle for 14 days, starting from when it is paid in full, so I should be able to get it home and have it inspected and register it here and then get TT insurance. Now the problem begins, they will not cover a Oliver TT, according to my agent they are not on the list that they will cover that is out of Canada, so I am getting in contact with the underwriter today to get more clarification on everything.
Rob M is offline   Reply With Quote