Travel Trailer Insurance ??? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-14-2014, 05:19 PM   #41

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
Does anyone here carry personal life insurance? If so, you've already decided what you believe your life to be worth. Maybe THAT amount should be what a court should award.
Death is a foregone conclusion, Life Insurance covers assets and debts in the event of a premature death. That way you are not leaving your loved ones in dire straits.

A permanent disability can cost much more to maintain a life than actually dying. There are lots of other types of insurance one can buy. Critical Illness, specified perils, disability. Ongoing business coverage. The sky is the limit and those should not be used as guages in the courts as to the vaue of an individual or an award.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:24 PM   #42

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

Carol, Don't want to extend this but no state has declared bankruptcy......yet....

My error I guess I was thinking about some of the large districts that have... who if I am not mistaken would be paying/looking after supplying fire services.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:07 PM   #43

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Well, that answers the question I was going to post... not... maybe... confused...!

Just finally registered my trailer in Washington. (Do you know Washington state wants 9% sales tax on a "luxury item" like a travel trailer even if it was purchased in 1970 new and you've already paid tax on it? Luckily my original bill of sale had a low amount on it.) Anyway, I'm checking into changing my insurance to here but then wondered what just liability would be, and the agent told me it is covered by the car's policy. (I didn't ask her if that included when it was not attached to the car- but they don't put liability on the trailer itself anyway. So if a neighbor kid breaks in to the trailer and blows himself up with the propane there is no coverage- unless homeowners covers that.)

I was only paying $43 a year in California but probably that was $2500 in insurance and if I do it now I'll go for $4000 if I can (prices have gone up.) Still likely to be about $25 a year here, with a $500 deductible.

So... worth it? I suppose so if it turns out to be that cheap.. I'll ask her if I have to go ahead and prove value in a more detailed way (I sent her comps but they were asking prices- hard to get proof of selling prices other than eBay) if I have a claim.

Anything else to consider?

I would definitely insure a more expensive trailer- just not sure it is worth it for one I can afford to replace.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:38 PM   #44

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Insurance

There is a guy who advertises on local TV touting liability insurance only. You are covered driving any car. However, what he doesn't say is that the car is not covered.

Vern Fonk Insurance -

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:30 PM   #45

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
My trailer is fully insured year round at a cost of 120.00 per year.

In winter it is left parked in a trailer park that had a rash of break ins this past March.
Very little was taken but the window lock broken the screen cut open, the blinds were torn out and the window was left open.
The water damage seems to be the big issue as the inside wall is soft now.

Finally just got the quote and the insurance adjuster was in to check it out.
Somewhere between 1600-1700 in damage and should get the go ahead from ICBC the insurance company here in BC this week.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:38 PM   #46

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You know the risks, you take your chances. It's really pretty simple. Are you willing to risk all your permanent assets?

I'm a hot rodder. You don't even want to know what I pay in comprensive premiums (theft). But then again, I own a (couple) of 50-60 year old vehicles where the manufacturer only built < 10,000 of the models.

BUT STILL.. what is YOUR comfort level? There is no perfect answer. It's really between YOU and your insurance company, PLUS where you travel.

Don't we all wish this was simple?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:58 PM   #47

Registry
Smile Fire Department run charges.

For you who are shocked by the FD daring to charge:

Fire department to charge $100 for medical calls not requiring transport | Fire Chief

I found that with a little search on DuckDuckGo.

Here is another:

http://www.thelancasternews.com/cont...ge-wreck-calls

Old 08-01-2014, 07:25 AM   #48

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
My trailer insurance was added to my home insurance policy for an additional $240/yr and covers full replacement value of the trailer. This insurance policy specifically mentions the $35k purchase price of the trailer.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:18 AM   #49
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
My Boler is covered by my car insurance when I am towing plus I have a separate policy that covers it when in storage or not being towed. The policies would only cover the value of the Boler that I originally paid for it ($4,000), the only way they would insure for more is with an appraisal. I recently found a Vintage Vehicle Appraiser who did appraise the Boler, I had to do a lot of the research to help find comparators pus I had very complete documentation of all my expenses. The insured value of my Boler is now considerably higher, the insurance company increased the coverage without question and without raising my premiums.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:05 AM   #50

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I got a quote- it's about 1% of the value with a $500 deductible. I asked a couple of questions about it- a) what if someone rear ends the trailer (un or underinsured or hit and run? and b) what if it is stolen while unlocked (hitch lock?) No answer yet. Keeping in mind that liability is covered by the auto policy- I'm still undecided.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:56 AM   #51

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I think I pay 50 bucks a year for my scamp 13 insurance. Pretty sure if something happens to it they'll depreciate it's value like a stickie trailer. Then I'll just come on here and print out pages of classifieds to show how they maintain and even appreciate in value.

TT insurance is not required in NY, but I got it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #52

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Getting a Scamp
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarscamp13 View Post
I added my 85' scamp onto my auto insurance policy with progressive. It's covered to $6000 with a $50 deductible. My premium only went up $38 per year, that's $3.16 per month. Well worth it in my opinion.
Solarscamp13 I'm looking to get coverage with progressive as well. I'd live my premium to only go up 38 bucks. What coverage did you exactly get? Thanks
makaio333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #53

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
The company we are with charges $78 a year co-op for ours liability ect.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:44 PM   #54

I sell RVs for Camping World of Fayetteville, NC. You can call Good Sam Insurance to get a quote. They are very competitive and offer specialized insurance for RVs. I get quotes for all of my customers and approximately 7 out of 10 times, GSI is less expensive than their current company and offer more coverage.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Fiberglass RV mobile app
jknight00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:52 PM   #55

Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 ft (My Burrito!)
I have had State Farm Insurance on my 82 13ft. Burro (Burrito!) since I bought it in 98 or 99.. I pay $28.00 A YEAR!!! I once contacted other insurers & they wanted a fortune! I use to have home & car insurance with them also, but all I have now is Burrito! Check with them! They list it as 8ft., & I questioned them... they said no problem as long as they have the vin#....
Karen L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:15 PM   #56

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen L. View Post
I pay $28.00 A YEAR!!!
That's not useful information without knowing what you are insured for. I pay $220, but that is for full replacement insurance. If my trailer were to be stolen, they would replace it with a brand new one. My deductible is low and I have coverage for contents etc. etc.
I think you should read your policy and see just what you are getting for $28.
I don't know of any insurance company that runs as a charity.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:25 PM   #57

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm with Glenn, it's not what you pay each month/year for insurance... it's what the insurance company PAYS OUT! Check the fine print. If your insurance company mentions NADA... RUN, RUN FAST!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:51 AM   #58

Registry
Cool Insurance

There are two types of insurance, liability and comprehensive.

I am confused by some posts about which type they are talking about.

Of course you should never go without liability.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:40 PM   #59

I have asked my agent repeated over the years, & he has reassured me it's for everything, including replacement if wrecked or stolen!! That's reassurance for me!!I've been with them from the minute I bought my trailer!! (1989 or 90!)
Old 12-27-2014, 08:42 PM   #60

Donna!! What is NADA?