Travel Trailer Insurance ??? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-11-2015, 09:48 AM   #81

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Go to the GoodSam web site, log on and they'll them to stop sending you emails.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:37 AM   #82

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Hi all,

I just called geico and they won't offer me replacement cost insurance in my 2012 13er. Only actual cash value.

What's anybody's experiences with good Sam rv insurance? I was a little wary as I may have read a few bad reviews online. They do offer replacement cost and a decreased rate when trailer is in storage.

I appreciate your thoughts as options seem pretty slim.

Regards,

Wendy

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Wendy something is not correct, as your trailer is less than 4 years old, this is what the Geico website states:

"Total Loss Replacement – provides you with a new, comparably-equipped RV if your RV is totaled within its first four model years. When the RV is in the fifth through seventh model years, the settlement is the higher of the actual cash value at the time of loss or the original documented purchase price. After the seventh model year, the settlement is on an actual cash value basis."

The question you may wish to ask them is how is the "actual cash Value Basis" is determined. Is it all by NADA? or are you able to provide recent sale info and have your trailers value determined by an independent appraiser?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:36 PM   #83

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Thanks Carol. I'm going to call them again now.

CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:55 PM   #84

New York
Registry
What a joke! Just called geico. The stipulations you typed for me only go for a 2016, 15 or 14 model year trailer. He also wanted to pull up a nada and I told him not to bother, etc. we all know why. He told me the claims adjusters won't compare my scamp to a jayco. So I asked him to share with me the database they would use to get their information and he couldn't. So I asked to speak with a claims adjuster and he said they only talk with you if you have a policy and a loss.

So then I wondered...are these people going to look on FGRV or fiberglass rv.com to see what my trailer us worth and pour through pages of sales histories which aren't always reported by individuals, only asking price?

I thanked him for his time. Back to the drawing board. So good Sam says they'll give me replacement cost and decreased rate while in storage. Too good to be true?

Old 05-11-2015, 05:52 PM   #85

New York
Registry
Ok. Just got off phone with good Sam. $206 a year with full replacement and other stuff till 2017. After that I can carry full replacement but they'll only give me what I paid for it. They also offer a $12 a month reduction for time in storage as insurance goes to just comprehensive. I grilled the guy. Got a bit testy at times but I was tough. Whatcha think? He even knew about package, 13 or 16 or bath package.

Too good to be true?

Old 05-11-2015, 06:11 PM   #86

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Good Sam will give you only a small amount off for storage because most of your insurance is not the kind for storage. Our insurance on a trailer worth about $25000-27000 during the years they insured it until now was about $450 per year at first and decreased every year down to about $380. That is full replacement insurance that is only available in the first five years out of the factory, so costs much less if your trailer is older.

Full replacement means that if your trailer is stolen or totaled and it is a 2013 trailer, for instance, they will replace it with a new one made in the present year with the options it had coming out of the factory. That kind of insurance is common among RV insurers but I do not believe it is available among auto insurers that tack on an RV.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:26 AM   #87

New York
Registry
Thanks Cathi for your reply. I told the good Sam rep I'd think about it and get back to him on Friday. Wanted to see what you all thought.

So if I carry full replacement beyond 2017 (end of my first five model years) you're saying it will be less than the $206 he quoted me because then they'll only give me what I paid for it?

I plan to call progressive today too. I'll let everyone know what I learn.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #88

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
Not sure why everyone is having so much trouble with Geico. I have been insuring my camper with them for 3 years now for the towing season. Each year I call them, they ask a few questions, I always have to explain to them what my camper is since they never can find it in thier database (Clouds have not been made since the 70'), and once that is done they send me an email, I send them back pictures of my camper inside and outside, and then I get my quote. $35 every 6 months. It did not seem to be much of a hassle to me at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Fiberglass RV mobile app
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:23 PM   #89

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You may have insurance, but $35 every six months isn't going to get you a lot.
Without detailing what your coverage is for that amount, the fact that you have some insurance isn't all that helpful to others.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:07 PM   #90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You may have insurance, but $35 every six months isn't going to get you a lot.
Without detailing what your coverage is for that amount, the fact that you have some insurance isn't all that helpful to others.
Having just received my renewal notice on my trailers insurance I have to agree with Glenn.

The cost for just covering my trailer for loss due to fire, accident or theft (which is not covered under my home owners insurance even if it was in the homes garage when it happened) for a Cash Value of $9000 which I would still have to prove it is/was worth before they would pay me that amount, is $149 a year. I pay another yearly bill for my mandatory liability & medical cost insurance of $200,000.00 that is required by our Provincial Government on the trailer (even though the cars insurance will cover those items if an incident happens when the trailer is attached to the tug) is another $65 per year. If I only had the min $65 insurance & I was in an accident it would not cover the repair or replacement of the trailer itself. Total cost of a years insurance for the trailer $214.

I should point out that the mandatory insurance required by the Province for both the trailer and car, includes something called Under Insured Motorist protection! Guess why they think we all have to have that if they require every car to have what some might think is more than adequate basic insurance coverage!

Hint BC has a lot of tourists visiting each year!
Old 05-13-2015, 04:50 PM   #91

New York
Registry
I just wish I could find another company to compare the good Sam rate I shared with all of you. I would be happy with an actual cash value policy as opposed to replacement cost. Trying to get these companies to understand the value of our eggs, thus far for me has been talking to deaf ears.

If my trailer was totaled I couldn't afford another without a decent insurance payout. That's where the actual cash value comes in.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:24 PM   #92

Quote:
Thanks Cathi for your reply. I told the good Sam rep I'd think about it and get back to him on Friday. Wanted to see what you all thought.

So if I carry full replacement beyond 2017 (end of my first five model years) you're saying it will be less than the $206 he quoted me because then they'll only give me what I paid for it?

I plan to call progressive today too. I'll let everyone know what I learn.

You cannot get full replacement coverage after the first five years out of the factory as far as I know. It is optional insurance that costs more. So you can simply ask for quotes with and without it.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:43 AM   #93

New York
Registry
I would like to pose a question if all of you would be so kind to answer. The $206 per year I was quoted from good Sam is for full replacement comprehensive and collision with a $500 deductible.

But the collision is NOT no fault. They'll only give me replacement or repair if I cause the collision. If it's the other guy, then his insurance would cover and pay what his policy pays. Whatever that may be!

Is this the normal way policies for rvs are written? Should I dump this idea? After I thought to ask rep about the no fault or other driver collision thing, I started to wonder if this insurance was worth it. Of course I could be at fault in an accident, no doubt. But I am worried about the other guy more!

Thoughts and opinions very much appreciated!

Old 05-19-2015, 08:10 AM   #94

Registry
Wendy you may want to ask if they also offer what we call here Under insured Motorist protection. Basically what that means is if someone hits you that does not have adequate insurance you are covered.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:28 PM   #95

New York
Registry
Ok I'll ask them that. Basically I've called tons of insurance companies and they all offer just actual cash value. I'm thinking I'll go with good Sam it's just that they are offering way more than everybody else and it seemed kinda too good to be true. Don't worry as much about my driving as I am defensive to the max.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:46 PM   #96

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post

I should point out that the mandatory insurance required by the Province for both the trailer and car, includes something called Under Insured Motorist protection! Guess why they think we all have to have that if they require every car to have what some might think is more than adequate basic insurance coverage!

Hint BC has a lot of tourists visiting each year!
Well, Carol, it's not just the "tourists" driving up the insurance costs here. We also have "Under Insured Motorist" clauses in our policies in the states as well that cost us extra. The "rationale," if any, lies in the fact that even though you are insured, there are quite a number of irresponsible people on the roads that do not carry any insurance...liability or otherwise. These are the same irresponsible low-lifes that will probably run into you either drunk or high, and then when the judge says they must make restitution for the havoc they've caused, well all I can say is good luck collecting a nickle from those deadbeats. They have neither insurance, nor do they have anything else of any value you could attach. Heck, most of these bums don't even have a steady job so you can't even garnish their wages.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:36 PM   #97

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Well, Carol, it's not just the "tourists" driving up the insurance costs here. We also have "Under Insured Motorist" clauses in our policies in the states as well that cost us extra. The "rationale," if any, lies in the fact that even though you are insured, there are quite a number of irresponsible people on the roads that do not carry any insurance...liability or otherwise. These are the same irresponsible low-lifes that will probably run into you either drunk or high, and then when the judge says they must make restitution for the havoc they've caused, well all I can say is good luck collecting a nickle from those deadbeats. They have neither insurance, nor do they have anything else of any value you could attach. Heck, most of these bums don't even have a steady job so you can't even garnish their wages.
Greg I hear you have many friends who reside in the US and they tell me their horror stories of being hit by someone who has little to know insurance. One friend it happened to twice in less than a year.

As much as some hate the mandatory min. insurance requirements we all have to have here, there are clearly some big benefits to it. If you are hit by someone with current BC plates you know they have some insurance. Which is why we basically call the "under insured clause", the "tourist clause".
Old 05-19-2015, 03:41 PM   #98

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Insurance is a for profit business. That means on average insurance companies are always in profit and you, as their customer, are always in loss.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:01 PM   #99

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If they weren't "for profit" they wouldn't exist.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:10 PM   #100

Quote:
Ok I'll ask them that. Basically I've called tons of insurance companies and they all offer just actual cash value. I'm thinking I'll go with good Sam it's just that they are offering way more than everybody else and it seemed kinda too good to be true. Don't worry as much about my driving as I am defensive to the max.

You are no doubt talking to primarily auto insurers. If you look up RV insurers, you will find the ones with full replacement coverage.