Travel Trailer Insurance ??? - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-06-2016, 11:12 AM   #113

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
May I ask who the carrier of your insurance is Jim? Thank you!

Wendy

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 01-06-2016, 11:27 AM   #114

Name: Linda
Trailer: In the market
Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Vacation liability means that if during a camping trip or vacation, along the way if your trip is interrupted or cancelled due to break down or what have you, you will be reimbursed costs associated with the trip. In our case, this might mean reservation fees. It does not mean something comes up in your life, necessitating a cancellation of the trip, and the insurance company will refund you.

Thanks! I had seen that term but was confused as to its meaning.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:32 AM   #115

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
May I ask who the carrier of your insurance is Jim? Thank you!

Wendy

Aviva.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:42 AM   #116

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
RE: "Originally Posted by CampyTime,
Vacation liability means that if during a camping trip or vacation, along the way if your trip is interrupted or cancelled due to break down or what have you, you will be reimbursed costs associated with the trip"

Quote:
Originally Posted by llfalcon View Post
Thanks! I had seen that term but was confused as to its meaning.
Hmm.. I would have guessed that it mean liability coverage for people injured or the like.

I have Erie insurance for my home and auto, and also an umbrella catastrophic liability policy in the amount of one million dollars. It kicks in if my other policies are exhausted and will pay out up to that amount (and/or defend against the claims if I am sued). It does require a little more than the minimal coverage on the auto, and it cost about $100 a year. It protects my long term investments, retirement savings, etc. It is a very good idea if your net worth is a good deal more than the limits of your insurance.

My Erie agent actually suggested Progressive for covering the trailer, so I went with their full replacement, disappearing deductibles plan. Once I had that, the umbrella policy covered the trailer also for another $25 a year.

So if you come to see my trailer (anywhere it happens to be) and it blows up while you are inside, I am covered for $1,000,000. But don't get any ideas, they will aggressively defend any claims
Old 05-14-2016, 11:30 PM   #117

Name: D & M
Trailer: Boler
Florida
We just insured with Progressive. Policy cost under $200 for the year and they have coverages I didn't expect, like camp coverage in case that little kid next door trips while visiting your campsite. ☺
Old 05-17-2016, 08:49 PM   #118

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Well, I just finished reading through this whole interminable thread, and must say I haven't learned much, except what I already knew: TANSTAAFL ("There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"—Robert A. Heinlein).

We just bought a 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe. A rep at our insurance agent says a rider on our automobile policy (with Safety Insurance, based here in Massachusetts) will only cover the trailer when it's hitched to the truck, and would cost $200. She offers instead a policy with Foremost, which will cover the Casita no matter where it is, for $379/year. This includes:

- "Other than collision" (which I assume means fire, theft, etc.): ACV less $500 deductible.

- Collision: ACV less $500 deductible

- Vacation liability (not sure how this is defined; cancellations?): $50,000 (do we really need this? adds only $15 to policy, though)

- Traveline towing/roadside assistance: $100 (adds $26—we already have AAA, so probably can kill)

- Emergency expense (whatever the heck that is): $500 (adds $3)

- Scheduled medical benefits (have to ask what those are; adds $5)

- Personal property: ACV less deductible of $500—not clear, as also $1,000 is checked; adds $14)

No replacement cost listed, but the application form asks if we are the original owners (no), so my guess is that it's not an option.

No liability listed. She writes, "To increase liability on the Foremost Travel Trailer Policy to $100,000 would increase the premium by $55, to increase liability to $300,000 would increase the premium by $69 and to increase liability to $500,000 (maximum) would increase the premium by $79." She doesn't explain how we can 'increase' liability if none were originally offered.

'ACV' = 'actual cash value'

One thing I did learn from this thread is that an Umbrella Policy might back up liability if you have your RV insured. The rep says that "Umbrella policies do not cover Travel Trailer policies," but she is not super-competent (originally tried to register our Casita as a 'utility trailer'). So I'll have to ask her about that.

Comments welcome. $379 a year plus add-ons for liability ain't hay, but this 'little house' cost us a pretty penny (we could have gotten a new Starcraft for similar money), so we ought to cover it.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"

Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass

Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern • WHRB-FM, 95.3 FM, Cambridge, MA • Streaming at WHRB.org
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:59 PM   #119

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
You could try Good Sam Insurance, and they broker several companies so you'll get a couple quotes. You may want to consider Good Sam Roadside Assistance if you plan on going off the beaten path; I've heard AAA has a lot of 'exclusions' in their coverage. Also check to see if your particular AAA plan includes your trailer; I think they've got two plans for RVs.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:22 AM   #120

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
I just purchased a 1972 Trails West Campster. Not worth a lot right now since it is a fixer so I only put liability on it for the moment. I have Allstate Insurance and the trailer coverage was added on as part of my auto policy for the vehicle I am towing it with. It added $5.00 a month to my bill.

Once it is all fixed up and I am doing extended traveling then I will see about getting contents coverage.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:30 AM   #121

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker View Post
You could try Good Sam Insurance, and they broker several companies so you'll get a couple quotes. You may want to consider Good Sam Roadside Assistance if you plan on going off the beaten path; I've heard AAA has a lot of 'exclusions' in their coverage. Also check to see if your particular AAA plan includes your trailer; I think they've got two plans for RVs.
I went to the Good Sam Insurance website, and put in my Zip Code (01701). That took me to a page which said,

Quote:
Thank You for Considering National General Insurance

National General is not able to provide you a quote at this time. To assist you in your search for an auto insurer, we have provided results from a popular industry search page below.
So I clicked on the 'Quote' button, and that took me to Progressive. I don't like Progressive (because I can't stand their annoying 'Flo' ads, and their former CEO's history of funding leftwing organizations), but I put in my Zip Code again and then learned that they don't offer RV/Trailer insurance in Massachusetts.

Guess I'll do a search to see who else does, besides Foremost.

Good tip about AAA. I'll have to ask them if my membership includes my trailer.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"

Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern • WHRB-FM, 95.3 FM, Cambridge, MA • Streaming at WHRB.org
Old 05-18-2016, 06:11 AM   #122

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Good Sam called me one day, asked if I still had my motorhome (never had one). Told them no, we have a trailer. They asked what year, told them 1996. The person said OK, have a nice day, bye. I take that as they only want to insure new or almost new big dollar rigs. My homeowner / vehicle insurance company won't insure our Casita either, other than we are covered for liability at no extra cost. We figure if anything happened where the trailer is a total loss it would cost near $10,000 to replace it. Not a huge amount, but not exactly pocket change for us. As for road service, AAA added the RV option for about $20 to our Premier policy. We also have the Good Sam roadside policy. GS usually will offer a deal for the first year, at renewal it goes up. MR Lynn, I understand your wanting some kind of insurance for loss or damage, hope you are successful. Did you try State Farm ?
Old 05-18-2016, 06:22 AM   #123

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
One thing I did learn from this thread is that an Umbrella Policy might back up liability if you have your RV insured. The rep says that "Umbrella policies do not cover Travel Trailer policies," but she is not super-competent (originally tried to register our Casita as a 'utility trailer'). So I'll have to ask her about that.
100% the opposite of what I was told... I have Eire for home, auto and umbrella liability. I have a Progressive policy for the camper. There is a small increase in my Erie Umbrella policy cost to include the camper. Of course, in the case of a huge liability claim related to the camper, the Progressive policy has to be exhausted first, but then the Erie policy kicks in to a limit of one million dollars.

I think it is important to know and trust your insurance agent. Thats why I changed Erie agents about a year ago. The original guy had moved further away from me so I could not just drop in to see him, and he missed a cost savings for me. I found an Erie agent locally that really seems to look out for my best interests.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:01 AM   #124

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
I got a State Farm Travel Trailer policy for $78/year. Covers replacement cost up to original purchase price for theft, fire, natural disaster, etc. Liability is covered by tow vehicle policy while hooked to the tow vehicle. I asked about liability when the trailer is not hooked to the tow vehicle and gave the example of someone falling if a step failed when entering or exiting. The agent could not answer, said they had never been asked that, and had been insuring a fair number of trailers for years. They did contact State Farm and were assured that my homeowners policy liability extends to the trailer when camping.

I must say, I was never sure about State Farm as a company, until last year, about this time. I hit a deer at highway speed in my Ranger Pickup. The damage was estimated to be $7800, which was slightly above the limit for my truck. They suggested and encouraged "totaling" the truck, but gave me the option to take the $7800 settlement and keep the truck. They would not, however, cover any additional cost in repairs if it went beyond the estimate.

Since it was an older truck, with moderately higher mileage, I did agree to "total" it. They gave me the option to remove the cap from the bed, which I sold later.

When I received the final check for the Ranger I was quite shocked. $10,600. They explained that this included the $7800 payout, $2000 for what they expected to get from salvage for parts from the Ranger, plus tax and transfer fees I would spend when getting a new, replacement truck. I was quite happy with the settlement, as the blue-book value for the Ranger was between $6400 and $7000, depending on options (mine was VERY basic). I was expecting a payout of about $6500 - $6800.

This was my only experience with a vehicle insurance claim, and I was pleasantly surprised after all the horror stories I had heard.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:09 AM   #125

Massachusetts
I looked up State Farm on the Web. Here's what I found:

"State Farm does not actively market new business in this state at this time."

Massachusetts is a desert in more ways than one.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"

Old 05-18-2016, 08:09 AM   #126

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Insurance gives me a headache and most policies seem to protect the insurance company more than the RV owner.

AAA offers a RV upgrade (we have that). Our Travelers insurance (home and Auto) has an additional one million dollar liability insurance rider that covers everything we own in the event our coverages are consumed in a law suit. This is something everyone should have as it is cost effective back-up protection.

The folks at Good Sam send me insurance offers by mail every week...they sure know how to spend money on direct advertising! I have never read any of them.
I'm thinking of saving them and using the massive pile of paper to heat my home by burning them in my wood stove! I figure there must be a lot of surplus profit dollars in the insurance game to afford all that direct mail expense!

If all this insurance info makes you crazy you are normal.