Travel Trailer Insurance ??? - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2017, 04:02 PM   #141

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
Since every state is a little different -- does anyone know what IL requirements are?
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:10 PM   #142

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Talk to your agent. Ask your agent what coverage they offer and how much it costs in your state. Asking people here is useless because many don't know what coverage they have, just that they have insurance ( of sorts ).
Ask for full replacement insurance. Otherwise, you'll get maybe half of what it costs to replace your RV.
What you pay can depend on where you live, where you store the trailer and even your credit rating.
Attached Thumbnails
Insurance.jpg  
Old 09-09-2017, 02:49 AM   #143

Name: del
Trailer: 1980 13' Burro
Utah
A trailer that becomes disattatched from the tow vehicle may no longer be covered by tow vehicles insurance, this may vary from one insurance companies to another.

My daughter is now a agent for a major insurance company so I've been shopping with her for all my many vehicles.

Just today I was quoted by her on a class A motorhome. ... $1600 a year.

My usual independent agent was able to quote me same coverage. .... $400 a year.

He told me he specializes in vintage, special purpose vehicles and rv's so he understands limited usage ect. She beat his rates on our Ford Escape and home owners.

I have filed claims with both companies and they were very good to work with.
papas34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:46 PM   #144

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by papas34 View Post
My daughter is now a agent for a major insurance company so I've been shopping with her for all my many vehicles.

Just today I was quoted by her on a class A motorhome. ... $1600 a year.

My usual independent agent was able to quote me same coverage. .... $400 a year.

Your daughter must be a "Captive" agent representing a major insurer.
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:16 PM   #145

Name: del
Trailer: 1980 13' Burro
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Your daughter must be a "Captive" agent representing a major insurer.
She is just out of high school, she got a fantastic offer with 5 year salary plus commission.

It was at a new branch with new broker. She has been working her way from the bottom making cold calls to office manager plus she writes a ton of policies.

She is held to major company so far.

I couldn't be more proud and grateful she got such a chance at a young age. Plus she makes pay check to pay check with ease.....no bailouts needed.
papas34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:24 PM   #146

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricAllyn View Post
Since every state is a little different -- does anyone know what IL requirements are?
In IllAnnoy, there is no requirement for insurance on any trailer. Liability attaches to the TVs insurance when towing. If you want comprehensive and collision you can choose to buy it from several sources including your car insurance company.
This generally true across the U.S.
I have yet to hear of an exception...Left Coast maybe??
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:18 PM   #147

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
She is just out of high school, she got a fantastic offer with 5 year salary plus commission.

It was at a new branch with new broker. She has been working her way from the bottom making cold calls to office manager plus she writes a ton of policies.

She is held to major company so far.

I couldn't be more proud and grateful she got such a chance at a young age. Plus she makes pay check to pay check with ease.....no bailouts needed.
That's GREAT!

You are one proud Papa!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:02 PM   #148

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
In IllAnnoy, there is no requirement for insurance on any trailer. Liability attaches to the TVs insurance when towing. If you want comprehensive and collision you can choose to buy it from several sources including your car insurance company.
Massachusetts is an exception. AFAIK there is only one company writing insurance on travel trailers: Foremost.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #149

Registry
Quote:
A trailer that becomes disattatched from the tow vehicle may no longer be covered by tow vehicles insurance, this may vary from one insurance companies to another.
Sounds down right silly! A trailer which becomes detached while towing would be no different than a TVs hood which came off while driving.
The trailer is covered while towing for liability as part of the overall vehicle.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:39 PM   #150

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
It's silly to argue about it. Who is correct depends on who they are insured with and in what province or state. My trailer, here in BC, has separate liability insurance from my vehicle. It also carries its own collision and comprehensive.
That means nothing to somebody in Maine.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:00 PM   #151

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
It's silly to argue about it. Who is correct depends on who they are insured with and in what province or state. My trailer, here in BC, has separate liability insurance from my vehicle. It also carries its own collision and comprehensive.
That means nothing to somebody in Maine.
You're right on one level... Its whether its a province or a state.
Can you name one state in which the liability does not go with the TV?
Canadian law will remain irrelevant on this side of the border.

BTW; The silly part had to do with detachment while in motion as it relates to liability, not whether a separate policy is required.

Here is a quote which I got off the internet so it must be true!... ( i'm sure it applies only to the U.S.)

"Towable RVs include fifth wheels, pop-ups, and travel trailers. Liability insurance is generally extended from your car insurance policy to your RV when you are towing it. For instance, if your camper somehow comes unhitched from your truck and damages some property, your auto insurance liability will cover the costs. Because liability is covered under your car insurance, the state does not require insurance on towable RVs."
Old 09-11-2017, 07:16 PM   #152

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
That's Washington's approach; trailers don't kill people, tow vehicles do.

I paid $125 a year for a $250 deductible Physical Damage policy on the Casita, which included Comprehensive. I don't know that it was a full replacement cost policy but my agent does send me a Dairy Queen card good for a Blizzard every year on my birthday.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:38 AM   #153

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I suspect the confusion arose because someone was told "your vehicle liability only covers you when you're hitched," meaning when towing. You are still covered if the trailer becomes detached while towing, whether due to an accident, mechanical failure, or even operator error. That seems to be generally true in the US.

It's my understanding, however, your tow vehicle's liability does not cover the trailer when (intentionally) unhitched and not towing, as in storage or in a campground. Let's say your trailer somehow escapes its chocks in a wind gust and rolls into another vehicle. Does a separate trailer policy typically cover your liability there? Does that depend on the policy?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:11 AM   #154

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I suspect the confusion arose because someone was told "your vehicle liability only covers you when you're hitched," meaning when towing. You are still covered if the trailer becomes detached while towing, whether due to an accident, mechanical failure, or even operator error. That seems to be generally true in the US.

It's my understanding, however, your tow vehicle's liability does not cover the trailer when (intentionally) unhitched and not towing, as in storage or in a campground. Let's say your trailer somehow escapes its chocks in a wind gust and rolls into another vehicle. Does a separate trailer policy typically cover your liability there? Does that depend on the policy?
That's only a problem if your travel trailer is an "ESCAPE"!
Its gone now of course, but we always had that concern with our Ford Escape ...
Attached Thumbnails
Escape.gif  
Old 09-12-2017, 11:08 AM   #155

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
That's only a problem if your travel trailer is an "ESCAPE"!
Its gone now of course, but we always had that concern with our Ford Escape ...
Okay, I concede that a liability claim when the trailer is not being towed is unlikely.

I'm still curious what kind of policy covers that situation.

I have seen large RVs set up with slides protruding close to, or even into, the roadway where kids are riding bicycles.

Would that fall under some kind of "umbrella" liability policy?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:23 PM   #156

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Okay, I concede that a liability claim when the trailer is not being towed is unlikely.

I'm still curious what kind of policy covers that situation.

I have seen large RVs set up with slides protruding close to, or even into, the roadway where kids are riding bicycles.

Would that fall under some kind of "umbrella" liability policy?
Exactly (for liability, not comp or collision).

I have a umbrella policy and when I got my Scamp and insured it through my Erie agent with a policy through Progressive. I also had it added to the Erie umbrella. Now Progressive covers up to (if I recall right), $300k, and if the claim is more than that, the Erie umbrella kicks in and covers to one mill. I am pretty well covered regardless of who gets hurt by/in my camper, and however bad they are hurt.

I did have to pay just a little more for the umbrella once it extended another policy but its cheap insurance so the increase is minimal.

On the question of the trailer becoming unhitched.. I know for a fact that in this state, if the trailer becomes detached and it collides with something, that is one accident report. If the trailer comes to rest, even for a microsecond, and is then hit, then that requires a separate accident report. I don't know if insurance works the same way, that is to say that the collision after the trailer comes to rest (and is reported on a separate report) would (or would not) be covered by the tug's policy.

All this is why I say find an insurance agent you trust (and who is not just trying to sell), and then ask him or her what coverage is appropriate for your situation.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote