Travel Trailer Insurance ??? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2014, 08:49 PM   #61

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen L. View Post
I have asked my agent repeated over the years, & he has reassured me it's for everything
Never mind what the agents says. What does your policy say?
Old 12-28-2014, 07:30 AM   #62

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen L. View Post
Donna!! What is NADA?
North American Dealer Association, they provide estimated vehicle and RV prices at New Car Prices and Used Car Book Values - NADAguides
Old 12-28-2014, 10:20 AM   #63

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Your major concern should be liability coverage. Two friends, a judge and an attorney , both strongly suggested I carry a million dollar Umbrella Policy as part of my insurance package. This type of insurance kicks in when all your standard policies have been exhausted in a legal action.the only way to obtain this type of coverage is to insure your home, auto and anything else such as travel trailer RV or second home etc. through the same insurance company...then and only then will that company issue you an Umbrella Policy. A million might seem high but court judgements can even exceed that amount.

Good news is these policies are very low in cost. Having one protects your estate from being consumed in a liability lawsuit leaving you bankrupt.

You can always replace your RV but rebuilding a lifetime of estate building and your life's savings is another matter.
If you have an insurance agent and he has never mentioned an Umbrella Policy you might look for another agent who has your best interests in mind.

Happy Camping !
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:30 AM   #64

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I'd get one of those umbrella policies, if I had an estate to protect... LOL. Those who have little, have little to lose. Not that I'm arguing against the umbrella policies, they're a good thing.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:54 PM   #65

Name: Steve
Trailer: Trillium 1300 (1980)
Ontario
Registry
strange insurance rule

Other members have used this broker and had good service:

Wayfarer Insurance Brokers Ltd.
308 Bay Street, Box 160
Beaverton, Ontario, L0K 1A0

So I called today to get insurance on my 1980 Trillium. I spoke with Amy. The first question she asked was:

"Does it have a bathroom."

Me: "Ummm...no...but it has a porta potty..."

Her: "We can't insure it."

Me: "Come again?"

Her: Unless your trailer has a bathroom built by the manufacturer, we will not write a policy."

Me: "Thanks for your time."

I leave this to wiser heads than mine. It seems like utter nonsense, but honest, this is exactly the conversation.
pogophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:34 PM   #66

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burtim View Post
Do most of the travel trailer owners purchase a separate policy on the trailer? Do some wing it and purchase none?

I'm primarily interested in covering liability but I would cover replacement of our 2007 Casita 17 SD if it isn't too costly to do so. My insurance company says they will add a travel trailer endorsement to my auto insurance for about $10 a month. It covers "replacement cost" of the trailer. They say "we agree to pay actual cash value". Should I be telling them to put a fixed value in there like $14,000 in the event of total loss (or something like that)? I understand insurance companies don't seem to know how to handle FG's.

How do you guys handle insurance?
Co-Operator's charges $97 to add the extra not already in the car insurance for year.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:54 PM   #67

Name: Perry
Trailer: Scamp 19
Texas
Progressive writes a stated value policy on odd vehicles through one of their companies. Other insurance will buy you a common year and type at fair market value.
Perry P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:00 AM   #68

Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 ft (My Burrito!)
Hi Pogophile...Several people have questioned my insurance on my 1982 13ft Burro! Like yours, I don't have a bathroom, but a Porta potty!! I pay State Farm $28.00 a year & have had them for coverage since 1989 or 90, ever since I've owned my "Burrito"! I've asked many times over the years & they have reassured me it's full coverage.. I've even askedabout replacement cost & they told me it's based on my Vin #! I've read EVERY post & have questioned enough that I'm comfortable with them... Hadn't thought about the MILLION DOLLAR settlement & the safety of my Estate!! Will do some more questioning before Camping season!!
Karen L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:14 AM   #69

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
$28 is about what it costs to buy four packs of cigarettes.
I think you should discuss your coverage with another insurance agent and ask a lot of questions.
My insurance for my trailer and tag is about $300 a year.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:47 PM   #70

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
My 2001 Travel Trailer cost me $5,000 plus about $1,000 in minor upgrades...replacing it with insurance is not a major concern...however...It only tales one mistake and a multimillion dollar law suit to consume your entire life's savings. Liability claims can destroy you future. I do not care one bit about replacing my travel trailer in an accident but I do care about protection from liability law suits. Accidents happen...replacing or repairing a camper is small stuff indeed compared to the major loss from a liability lawsuit.
Million dollar umbrella insurance is a bargain and starts when your primary insurance coverage is exhausted from a nasty liability law suit....how deep is your wallet?
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:02 PM   #71

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Well I suspect the difference between what Glenn pays for insurance vs others here, is that here in BC you have to (its not a choose) carry separate insurance on the trailer for a minimum amount of $200,000 3rd party liability insurance (although most people I know pay more to pump that number up), $150,000 in medical insurance, Underinsured Motorist Protection for 1 million per person hurt, $200,000 in Hit and Run protection and Inverse liability protection covers you in parts of Canada or the U.S. where local laws don't let you claim against the person who caused your crash.

Also most home insurance policy in these parts will also not cover the trailer if it is stolen while parked at your home or should it roll down the hill and kill someone.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:18 AM   #72

Name: Steve
Trailer: Trillium 1300 (1980)
Ontario
Registry
Wayfarer Insurance

After talking to other carriers, I called Wayfarer back. It seems there must have been a misunderstanding and the first person had assumed this was an RV. (I'm sure I made it clear it was a trailer...but oh well).

In any case they are actually happy to insure it.
pogophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:20 AM   #73

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
My opinion - Insurance is well worth it. Why you might ask? My answer to that is because you never know what is going to happen. I have my little Cloud now because I insured my last camper which was a 32' travel trailer (stick built) which I kept at a campground as sort of a summer retreat. Mother nature decided I was to happy and comfortable in my beautiful little spot and sent a tornado our way which leveled pretty much everything standing all around us, except for 2 of the campers in the campground. Mine and my neighbors. My neighbors camper did not even get scratch on it but mine had a nice tree branch sticking out of it straight up from the roof, looked like it came falling out of the sky and impaled my poor camper like a spear. Called my insurance company, they sent someone out to look at it, told me that it was totalled (apparently in the insurance world if a camper gets a hole in it, it is as good as totalled at that point they explained to me), and several days later I got an email on the value and what they were going to pay me for it and I got to keep the camper besides. That money I got from that one incident was enough to finance my little camper and all the upgrades I have done to it, plus fix the hole in my old camper which I am still using to this day as my summer retreat.

Some advice however from my above experiance. If you ever find yourself in a similar situation and Campytime mentioned this in an earlier post, do not just settle for what he insurance company says your camper is worth if it does end up being totalled out. Take some time and find other campers out there like yours, print up the sheets that state what they are selling for and what people are buying them for and bring those to your insurer. I did this and it made a several thousand dollar difference in the amount I got from my insurer, it was well worth the extra half hour or hour of work and research.

To answer some of the questions about costs and such. I pay $34 every six months for comprensive and liability. In Wisconsin the camper is covered by my auto insurance while towing but I like the piece of mind of knowing for sure my camper is completly covered by its own insurance. Plus that $34 covers her when she is parked, theft, and also roadside assistance if I get a flat or something like that. I use Gieco and I love them, always been there when I have needed them and very little hassle. Plus I have Good Sam Roadside for my RV and tow, and my fiance has AAA so yeah we kind of overdue it but we have used all of the above at some time or another and to me $88 a year for roadside assistance used just once to not have to change a darn flat tire on the side of a busy highway in the rain is way worth the money to me. Someday when I am on a fixed income and have a set budget I may change my ways but for now I can always work an extra shift at work and cover those extra costs and it bothers me not to do so just to have that extra security blanket and convenience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Fiberglass RV mobile app
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:23 AM   #74

Registry
[QUOTE=pogophile;499528 It seems there must have been a misunderstanding and the first person had assumed this was an RV. (I'm sure I made it clear it was a trailer...but oh well).
.[/QUOTE]

Not sure this would make any difference at all, as most insurance companies these days do consider a towable trailer an RV (Recreational Vehicle).

RVs can be either motor homes or tow-able trailers - main feature is that they are used for leisure activities such as vacations and camping.

An RV is distinguished from a towable utility trailer (which will have cheaper insurance) as it has living quarters, including a kitchen & sleeping facilities.

I know that some here don't like to think of our little camping trailers as RV's but I suspect most modern dictionaries & insurance companies would suggested otherwise.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:27 AM   #75

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
They say they insure Trailers at this classic car insurance company.
Grundy Insurance
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:04 AM   #76

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
They say they insure Trailers at this classic car insurance company.
Grundy Insurance
Yes most do, some will also described them as towable trailers or camping trailers in their general publications etc.

My point was when it comes to actual general classification of travel trailers they will fall into what many insurance companies will describe as a Recreational Vehicle (RV) once you start reading all the fine print of the policy or receive your actual insurance documents.

Having said that they do not charge the same rate for every RV they cover - the cost of insurance is based on make, age, size and if it has or does not have a motor & options found on it, as well as the value of coverage the owner wants for items such liability and theft etc. Most insurance companies use NADA in determining what value they will cover it for - which is a whole different issue for those of us with older fiberglass trailers.

So at the end of the day it really does not matter what they call it in their general classification/description. They can call it an RV, Travel Trailer, Towable Trailer or a Camping Trailer none of which should impact what they charge to cover it.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:00 AM   #77

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
But, They say they can come to an agreed value of your trailer. It is not a cookie cutter approach.

The only way to find out is for someone to approach them and discuss the issue.

I don't need to because I have GoodSamand like it.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:05 PM   #78

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
But, They say they can come to an agreed value of your trailer. It is not a cookie cutter approach.
Yes they do as do most insurance companies (I have agreed value insurance on my own trailer) if you talk to them but coming to the agreed value is not always that easy and will take some work on the part of the trailer owner. You will to prove the value is not what they believe it to be using the basic cookie cutter approach of looking at NADA. What they require as proof varies by insurance company. You should expect to also pay more for the agreed value policy than you would with the cookie cutter approach one.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:11 AM   #79

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hi all,

I just called geico and they won't offer me replacement cost insurance in my 2012 13er. Only actual cash value.

What's anybody's experiences with good Sam rv insurance? I was a little wary as I may have read a few bad reviews online. They do offer replacement cost and a decreased rate when trailer is in storage.

I appreciate your thoughts as options seem pretty slim.

Regards,

Wendy

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:24 AM   #80

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I guess I should review my insurance a bit closer, as I have no idea what it covers. We have it with our auto policy as a separate insured "vehicle."

Last year we were gung ho and based on advice from my brother got Good Sam Roadside assistance. Basically what I got out of that was a zillion spam email messages looking for me to buy more stuff. I can change a flat in the rain if I have to (I carry a spare). Actually I carry a remote heat sensing gun to check hub temps, and do at most every stop, a "jack-in-a-box" and a small air tank I fill to capacity before I leave home. There's not a whole lot I need to worry about traveling than tires and bearings, and being a maintenance nut, it is very rare I ever have a bearing problem, if ever.

What haven't I thought of?

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote