Travel Trailer Licencing Fees - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-26-2016, 04:37 AM   #41
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

Obviously you get no sales tax credit because there is no sales tax in NH.
NH charges a yearly registration permit fee which is based on a percentage of the value of the vehicle. Just like a sale tax except you pay it in installments. If a person moves from MA to VT, DMV deducts the MA sales tax from the tax bill but because NH calls it a fee the newcomer gets nailed a second time. Taxes, fees, surcharges, licenses, registrations are names for the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
try looking here MassDOT RMV
Salem NH not MA. No witches
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:49 AM   #42

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Obviously you get no sales tax credit because there is no sales tax in NH. NH has a thriving business selling to all the border states. Buying anything significant provides a significant savings when bought in NH.

But NH supplements its "no sales/no income tax" situation with all sorts of hidden fees and like other states in the northeast, a hefty property tax, which I understands is now inflated if your property has any kind of a "view." Lower property tax if you can see a landfill or a wastewater plant than a mountain or a river. I moved from NH 30 years ago, but that is what friends and relatives still living there tell me.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-26-2016, 05:29 AM   #43

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
But NH supplements its "no sales/no income tax" situation with all sorts of hidden fees and like other states in the northeast, a hefty property tax, which I understands is now inflated if your property has any kind of a "view." Lower property tax if you can see a landfill or a wastewater plant than a mountain or a river. I moved from NH 30 years ago, but that is what friends and relatives still living there tell me.

People that live in NH pay about half the yearly tax bill of neighboring states including fees. It's not to encourage people to move there but NH has a growing population, unusual in New England, in part because of it's tax situation.

Another benefit is that NH historically has had the lowest unemployment and highest SAT scores in New England. typically only Utah has higher scores.

I close with we no longer live in NH but do appreciate there different approach to state government.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:32 AM   #44

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
People that live in NH pay about half the yearly tax bill of neighboring states including fees.

Norm, I have friends in Hooksett, NH, who have a home appraised at $450K. Their property tax bill is in excess of $8,000/year. I was told by a cousin that they are now trying to make people pay to register a canoe or a rowboat. I haven't confirmed that but I can state I think the property tax rate in many localities is absolutely ridiculous. And the tax on stock gains if the company issuing the stock is not based in NH us really an income tax, but the state claims it has neither a sales or income tax. All in all, there are places where the cost of living is lower.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:52 AM   #45
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
People that live in NH pay about half the yearly tax bill of neighboring states including fees.
Gosh Norm, that's just silly. NH has a county based government which is certainly more efficient than VTs town based structure. But more central locations mean bigger bureaucracy, longer wait times, larger schools, and greater travel times. Schools cost money, teachers in NH don't work for free. The roads and bridges cost the same to repair. The fairies don't fill the pot holes over night. Government has to find the money to pay for it all. In NH they just find it in different places.

I looked at moving. What I found was that in my case the much higher property taxes offset any savings in not paying income tax. The high registration fees for vehicles is no different than Vermont's purchase and use tax. And most of the stuff we buy is food which isn't taxed in either state. It was a wash. Everyone's tax situation is different. But I doubt many would see a savings by moving to NH especially if you include the costs; the moving expenses, the fees and taxes associated with buying a new home.

In general New England is expensive. Housing is expensive, taxes are high, and we all have the high cost of winter. We've travelled to some pretty nice places but we have yet to find somewhere we'd rather live. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:56 PM   #46

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
The fairies don't fill the pot holes over night.

. Raz
NH would be the last place you would expect such discrimination!

Heck, they could fly in from Colorado where they could buy 8000 pounds of the stuff per year each without penalty!

I know,I know..." Gosh Floyd, That's just silly!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:53 AM   #47

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Taxes per person by state

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Gosh Norm, that's just silly. NH has a county based government which is certainly more efficient than VTs town based structure. But more central locations mean bigger bureaucracy, longer wait times, larger schools, and greater travel times. Schools cost money, teachers in NH don't work for free. The roads and bridges cost the same to repair. The fairies don't fill the pot holes over night. Government has to find the money to pay for it all. In NH they just find it in different places.

I looked at moving. What I found was that in my case the much higher property taxes offset any savings in not paying income tax. The high registration fees for vehicles is no different than Vermont's purchase and use tax. And most of the stuff we buy is food which isn't taxed in either state. It was a wash. Everyone's tax situation is different. But I doubt many would see a savings by moving to NH especially if you include the costs; the moving expenses, the fees and taxes associated with buying a new home.

In general New England is expensive. Housing is expensive, taxes are high, and we all have the high cost of winter. We've travelled to some pretty nice places but we have yet to find somewhere we'd rather live. Raz
It's not the whole story but part of the story.

Note total taxes per person. NH ranks 49th in the USA. the neighboring states of VT, ME, rank 12th, 2nd,

http://blog.prepscholar.com/average-...te-most-recent

Note SAT scores, NH has the highest SAT scores.
http://blog.prepscholar.com/average-...te-most-recent

Also NH has the second lowest unemployment rate in the nation..

NH is the only state in the Northeast without an inheritance tax or an estate tax.

There is some message in these numbers.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote