Triple A insurance - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-30-2011, 08:47 PM   #1

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Triple A insurance

Hi, All!

Just a heads up for those of you with (or without) AAA roadside assistance:
I found out the hard way the importance of spending the extra few bucks for AAA RV-
I've always had AAA for vehicles, since I prefer not to use my regular auto policy coverage for small expenses. No point in adding "incidents" to my insurance profile, right? Stupidly, I didn't extend it to the trailer UNTIL- I was out in the wilds of Oregon and threw my timing belt. The tow for the car was covered, of course, but it cost me over $200.00 for the trailer to go as well. (65 miles to Portland)
Naturally, having learned a hard lesson, I bumped uo to AAA RV after that.
The following summer I was 30 miles North of Winthrop, WA. when I had not just one, but TWO TV flat tires in two days. The tow (car and trailer) was over 50 miles to Twisp, and that time I paid nothing. This would have been a $400.00 tow, according to the driver.
Point is if you have AAA, make sure to add the trailer coverage, and if you don't have AAA, you might consider buying it, especially if you camp in remote locations. Both times I had problems, there was no safe place to leave the trailer, so it had to go too. Plus, I think I've gotten my money back just about every year, since even a single lock-the-keys-in-the-car call charge these days is more than the annual premium.
NOT that I've ever locked my keys in the car. Or was it the trunk?.....

That's my two cents on the subject!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:10 PM   #2

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Have had AAA Road Service since my parents put me on as a teen back in the...ahem...60's. Haven't been without it since. Each of kids gets theirs renewed on their birthdays.

Back in a 1984 cross country trip, lost the tranny on our 1984 GMC Jimmy half way between Butte and Billings Montana. Tow driver was a doll...towed the Jimmy and the Starcraft Pop-up we owned to a campground that just happened to be off the next exit and then towed the Jimmy 75 miles into town....no extra charge because we had AAA.

Every time I think about cutting expenses and giving up the AAA along comes a challenge that makes me more than grateful I didn't. AAA isn't the only Travel Club out there, do some homework and pick the one that works the best for you.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote