U.S citizens traveling to and from Canada - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-11-2009, 05:15 PM   #15

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
We travel back and forth to dog events.

You need a rabies certificate. It must state the vet that gave the shot, when it was given, the brand used and whether it was a one year or three year vaccine. It also must identify you as the owner and the vet must sign it. It must have been given more than 30 days prior to your arrival or if less, then proof that the previous one had not expired (no gap in coverage) The tag and the bill are not good enough if they ask. (sometimes they don't)

You cannot bring open dog food into the US. The food must be in it's original packaging and sealed. The good news is that most foods are equally available on both sides.
The food cannot be made of Canadian lamb, sheep or goat meat. (that one changes regularly -- last year chicken and beef were on the list too) Here's link on dog food: Border patrol regs for dog food It's worth checking as they post the updates as they happen.
and here is the link for rabies vaccines.
Both are for entry to the US.

The US regulations are more strict than the Canadian ones. Follow the US regs and you'll be okay.

Any chance you'll be at Emily?

Old 05-11-2009, 06:02 PM   #16

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I would advise you to try n get in touch with Ron N in our community. He lives in Oregon, owns a beautiful 'soul mate' and fits all the criteria you manifest here. Good Luck....

Old 05-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Quote:
Yeah, I don't want to take it, really no need to, but what I need to know is, if you have no other home besides your trailer, what do you do with them? I don't want to take it with me, just to clarify.
Monica, I'm assuming it's a hand gun and not a long gun. Put a trigger lock on it, store the ammunition separately and leave it with friends...it's not needed and not worth the hassle..IMO
Old 05-11-2009, 07:49 PM   #18

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
No worries when crossing the border. The people on either side look the same, talk the same, and are friendly....just the same.
After all, most of us have relatives on both sides of the border.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:03 PM   #19

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
We go back and forth to Canada at least twice a year (hubby is a Canadian).

Food - basically no fresh foods, veggies, meats, milk, no plants. You are also limited in the amount of alcohol (beer) and/or cigarettes that you bring in.

Passport - don't need one to get back into the US until June 1. You can get a passport, passport card (only good for driving into the US), NEXUS card (have to be interviewed by the border officers prior to issuance. You will a certified copy of your birth certificate and photo ID (drivers license).

Dog or other animals - need a certficate from the vet that the pet is in good health and has all its shots and dates of shots.

Guns - well we only took a shotgun into Canada, years ago, when we were going to Alaska and they "sealed" it. We never needed it anyway. A good ice pick or hatchet works wonders and really never had any problems
Old 05-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #20

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
Monica, Canadians are great folks, some in rural areas are virtually no different than us. I have been 20 times north of the border with rifle and shotguns, no problems. No desire to go any more. But if you do decide to go, and come through North West Wyoming, you can leave your handgun with me, not a problem, go north and when you return pick it up. It will have plenty of company! In fact, my wife said you are more than welcome to stay a night camped in the driveway or back yard.. We are about 130 miles from Yellowstone.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:33 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Guns into Canada -- Absolutely NO on handguns -- They used to store long guns at the border, but no longer do that -- If you want to take a long gun into CA, you need a firearms license, declare it at the border, declare it every 60 days or so if you stay that long -- Do not carry ammo that might appear to be handgun ammo, as they will presume you have the handgun and will strip your rig looking for it.

Do not state that the firearm is for protection against humans!, just against wildlife, which makes some crossings open to question.

Likewise, the ONLY pepper sprays allowed are the ones clearly marked as Anti-Bear sprays.

I'd do some serious Googling on all this because it changes often as some provinces are apparently getting fed up with the registry laws for citizens and it has hurt the provinces depending on US hunters entering the country.

I consider Canada to be a relatively non-violent nation and was surprised to find this quote on this site:

http://panda.com/canadaguns/

Positive impacts from the Firearms Act have proven elusive. In 2003 (the most recent year for which I have figures), Canada's reported violent crime rate was a whopping 963 per 100,000, a rate of about twice the US rate (475 per 100,000).
END QUOTE

BTW, the laws vary, but the part of the firearm with the serial number on it, usually the receiver, may be construed to be a firearm, even though it is not capable of actually firing.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:01 AM   #22

Trailer: 13 ft Lil Bigfoot
Quote:
Okay, I know I will need a passport to get back as I don't plan on going really soon and I think the new law goes into effect in June, but....
You can enter with the following after June 1st:
Passport
Passport Card
Nexus Card
Ehanced Drivers License

I have a dog, she has all her shots including rabies, will there be ANY problems regarding her going OR coming back into the U.S.?
To enter the US with your dog, you only need the shot record.
As long as the dog appears to be in good health, there shouldn't be a problem.

What documents do I need to get a passport?
A passport application and birth certificate.
If you do not plan on traveling to any coutry other than Canada or Mexico
the passport card would be the better document.
http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt...card_3926.html

Firearms, if you own one, what do you do with it? I know you can't take it into Canada, do they have a place at the border where you can secure it? Will you get it back if they do? How does all that work?
Leave it at home. There's no place to store it and Canada doesn't like firearms.

What documents do you need to get into Canada?
Proof of citizenship such as a Passport, NEXUS Card, Birth Cert w/gov issued photo ID.

What will I need besides a passport to get back into the U.S.?
No

Is there ANYTHING else I need to know about traveling to and FROM Canada? I am a bit nervous, never been to another country before, please let me know what you know, thanks all in advance.
Have fun!!! 1000's cross the border to and from Canada each day.

The last thing I need is to NOT be able to get back home, or have my firearm or dog confiscated.
Some hints:

The Peace Arch Crossing is under construction right now. Avoid it.
Due to the Peace Arch construction, the Pacific Hwy Crossing is really busy.
Lynden/Aldergrove is a great crossing.
The border will be very busy late July/early Aug due to the Fire/Police Games in Vancouver.
Gas full up just before you cross into Canada. Gas is about $4.00 a gallon there.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:58 AM   #23

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
Monica, Canadians are great folks, some in rural areas are virtually no different than us.

Randya -- What about us urban ones? You know, the ones with two heads??
Old 05-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #24

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Some hints:

The Peace Arch Crossing is under construction right now. Avoid it.
Due to the Peace Arch construction, the Pacific Hwy Crossing is really busy.
Lynden/Aldergrove is a great crossing.
The border will be very busy late July/early Aug due to the Fire/Police Games in Vancouver.
Gas full up just before you cross into Canada. Gas is about $4.00 a gallon there.

I presume you are quoting "Canadian" money at $4.00 a gallon. Here is a money conversion site that will give the current exchange rate of any currency. http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/rates/exchform.html
Old 05-12-2009, 09:03 AM   #25

Trailer: 13 ft Lil Bigfoot
Quote:
I presume you are quoting "Canadian" money at $4.00 a gallon. Here is a money conversion site that will give the current exchange rate of any currency. http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/rates/exchform.html

Gas is the lower mainland right now is $1.03 Canadian per liter
That's roughly $3.60 per gallon in US Dollars
The last gas station in Lynden before you cross the border is $2.39 a gallon.
Hence the admonition to fill up before you cross.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #26

Trailer: Casita
From the RCMP website and a voice conversation with an Officer who is assigned to weapons import.

The main RCMP page
Fact Sheet, "I am a gun user entering Canada"
From the publication http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pu...4-eng.html#P002
"Non-restricted firearms include:

* semi-automatic rifles and shotguns with barrels that are at least 470 mm (18.5 inches) long, and do not otherwise fall into a restricted or prohibited category; and
* single-shot or manual repeating rifles and shotguns of any length, as long as they are not designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm (26 inches) by folding, telescoping or other means.

Restricted firearms include:

* most handguns;
* semi-automatic rifles and shotguns that are capable of discharging centre-fire ammunition, have barrels between 105 mm (4.14 inches) and 470 mm (18.5 inches) long, and are not otherwise prohibited;
* firearms designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm (26 inches) by folding, telescoping or other means; and
* firearms restricted by regulations.

Prohibited firearms include:

* handguns with barrels less than or equal to 105 mm (4.14 inches) long;
* handguns designed or adapted to discharge a 25 or 32-calibre cartridge;
* firearms adapted from rifles or shotguns by sawing, cutting or any other alteration, that, when adapted in this way, are less than 660 mm (26 inches) long or have a barrel that is less than 457 mm (18.5 inches) long;
* automatic firearms, whether or not altered to fire in the manner of a semi-automatic firearm; and
* firearms prohibited by regulations."

My 12 gauge is OK. When I talked to the RCMP she wanted to know which Provence I was going through with the shotgun and I said BC and she said download and fill out this forum and declare with it at the border.

So it MAY be different for different Provinces... all I know is I am clear through BC on my Alaska trip and wont carry a hand gun.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #27

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Thanks for all the advice (and invite!), I just called the vet where my dog got her shots and I am going to pick up the records later today.

I have gotten some good advice on storing my handgun on the US side of the border, I am considering either getting a safety deposit box or seeing if there is a gun shop that will hold it for me on the US side, thanks for the ideas!
Old 05-12-2009, 06:48 PM   #28

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
Quote:
Randya -- What about us urban ones? You know, the ones with two heads??

Never met any urban ones! I spent all my time in Northern BC, Yukon Territory, Northern Alberta, and Northwest Territories! Driving pretty much straight through.