U.S citizens traveling to and from Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Okay, I know I will need a passport to get back as I don't plan on going really soon and I think the new law goes into effect in June, but....

I have a dog, she has all her shots including rabies, will there be ANY problems regarding her going OR coming back into the U.S.?

What documents do I need to get a passport?

Firearms, if you own one, what do you do with it? I know you can't take it into Canada, do they have a place at the border where you can secure it? Will you get it back if they do? How does all that work?

What documents do you need to get into Canada?

What will I need besides a passport to get back into the U.S.?

Is there ANYTHING else I need to know about traveling to and FROM Canada? I am a bit nervous, never been to another country before, please let me know what you know, thanks all in advance.

The last thing I need is to NOT be able to get back home, or have my firearm or dog confiscated.
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #2

Oh, and one more question, what paperwork do I need to have handy regarding my vehicles? Do I need just registration, trailer weight, anything?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:14 AM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
All I can answer is the Passport and the Dog.

You need either a Passport, Passport card, Nexus card, or state-issued enhanced driver's license (not available in California) to drive into Canada.

Your dog needs a rabies certificate.

You need a birth certificate and photo ID (such as Driver's license) to get a passport. You can fill out the application online and then print it and take it to your post office (some take appointments.) I applied about April 8 for a passport card and it is supposed to arrive Wed (five weeks later- I just checked the status online yesterday.)

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #4

Quote:
All I can answer is the Passport and the Dog.

You need either a Passport, Passport card, Nexus card, or state-issued enhanced driver's license (not available in California) to drive into Canada.

Your dog needs a rabies certificate.

You need a birth certificate and photo ID (such as Driver's license) to get a passport. You can fill out the application online and then print it and take it to your post office (some take appointments.) I applied about April 8 for a passport card and it is supposed to arrive Wed (five weeks later- I just checked the status online yesterday.)

Bobbie
Thanks for the info, on the dog, they didn't give me a certificate, just the tag and the receipt that lists all her shots, is that sufficient?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:45 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Those are all great questions, and I would have the same ones, since I'm in a similar situation (firearms, dog, never been outside US).

As far as the firearms issue, for some reason I doubt that they'd take on the liability of storing them for you at the border. Have you researched the firearms laws in Canada as far as having them stored in your vehicle? Did you talk TO someone in Canada regarding firearms laws, vehicle carry, etc? If you could simply store it in a locked "safe" inside the vehicle that would be a solution, assuming firearms can travel into Canada at all, and you could bring it back into the US without question.... Hmmmm....

Also, if you're traveling between States inside the US, be sure you know all the firearms laws for each State, as every State can have different laws. For example, an Open Carried (i.e. not concealed) firearm in Delaware is perfectly lawful, even inside a vehicle, and no license is required (but if you want to conceal it, you need a DE CCDW License). But in Pennsylvania you would need a license to carry it in any way (open or concealed) whether you're a PA resident or not.

I guess I'm just saying be sure you do your homework BEFORE you get into trouble, because weapons violations are a HUGE issue and can affect your ability to even own one in the future....

Be careful, and stay safe!

David Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:50 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Okay, I know I will need a passport to get back as I don't plan on going really soon and I think the new law goes into effect in June, but....

I have a dog, she has all her shots including rabies, will there be ANY problems regarding her going OR coming back into the U.S.?

What documents do I need to get a passport?

Firearms, if you own one, what do you do with it? I know you can't take it into Canada, do they have a place at the border where you can secure it? Will you get it back if they do? How does all that work?

What documents do you need to get into Canada?

What will I need besides a passport to get back into the U.S.?

Is there ANYTHING else I need to know about traveling to and FROM Canada? I am a bit nervous, never been to another country before, please let me know what you know, thanks all in advance.

The last thing I need is to NOT be able to get back home, or have my firearm or dog confiscated.
I just talked to the UPS guy In Ketchikan and they told me I can address a package to myself c/o the ups address here. They will hold it five days. So as I drive to Alaska and just before I enter BC I will ups a box with unknown contents there. When I return to BC out of Skagway I will ups a box of unknown contents home.

As for entering with or without a passport it was not required five years ago when I first went but I have since got one. It gets you in and gets you out so I cant think of anything else you may need. What I love is the greeting in French, "bonjour, hello, what brings you to Vancouver?"

ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
When Dh and I owned the resort, we kept a lot of guns for guest. You didn't want to open a closet around our house cause you never knew what we were holding for someone. I guess if you trusted leaving your hand gun with someone, that would be the best solution. Only problem being with holding them for our guests was they had to return to pick up, and weren't able to return to the US thru another border. It was worth it for them I guess cause we sure held on to a lot of them. Some we had the whole season, cause our guest would spend months up there.

As for your dog, It is my understanding you need a certificate of good health as well as well as the rabies certificate, hopefully someone can clarify that.

There are some food items you can't carry across or are limited on the amount, such as booze. But I would suggest visiting a Canadian Welcome Center often in tourist areas hundreds of miles from the border so you have time to prepare and they can help you with all of that. I can't tell you how many bags of potatos and bottles of booze guest gave me. I was over the potato thing, and found out that you can carry more potatos across as long as their cooked. So I started telling people to boil them and make hashbrowns and freeze them or make potato salad. Of course the food and booze issue was more of an issue for our guest cause they had big rigs and carried more food and booze than our little eggs could ever carry. But as I said, check out the Welcome Center, they are very knowledgeable to help you prepare to cross. Of course thinking ahead is the best way but you will find that there are things you miss so the Welcome Center is great for that last minute prep.

Ok, all I can say about coming or going at the border. LISTEN! Answer with a yes or no, the border agents don't have time to chit chat (unless they want to) If its during a high alert time. Just follow their lead. They get cranky if you don't. I use to tell guest after 9-11, you don't know who went thru before you, they could have P'ed the agent off. So just be nice, If your a smart "_ _ _" that puts them into a really bad mood. They are just doing their job. Of course I have heard the horror stories about both directions, but honestly, the people who got their rigs gone thru with a fine tooth comb are the ones who always have a comment, thinking their funny, which probably P'ed the agent off and they think hmmm, lets show them. Of course during high alert something might trigger a search, but you can't help that. Just be yourself and do as they ask and you shouldn't have any problems. Enjoy! Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Trillium
Guns + Canada = Quagmire

Seek expert advice, it's a big RED BUTTON topic. A start, of course, would be the Google thing.

Here is a probable starting point: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/F-11.6/

Good Luck!
David Swinnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Guns + Canada = Quagmire

Seek expert advice, it's a big RED BUTTON topic. A start, of course, would be the Google thing.

Here is a probable starting point: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/F-11.6/

Good Luck!
Yeah, I don't want to take it, really no need to, but what I need to know is, if you have no other home besides your trailer, what do you do with them? I don't want to take it with me, just to clarify.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Monica:
I am headed to Alaska soon and had some of the same questions. Here is an interesting site about the laws:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/travel_1744.html

About the firearm, you cannot take a handgun into Canada but you can take a long gun-shotgun or rifle, but you must declare it at border, fill out paperwork, pay $25 and if asked, say it is for protection against wildlife for your camping in wilderness areas.

The legal way to ship a handgun from US to yourself in Alaska is from an FFL (Federal Firearms License) holder in US, like a gun shop, to an FFL holder in Alaska, like another gun shop, paying shipping fee and about $25 to each FFL holder. It is a pain. I can remember a time when one could just ship about any firearm regular mail without this hassle but the Dems removed that freedom from us a few years ago. Now us law-abiding suffer. And, it really wasn't that long ago that one could take a handgun through Canada, until they made it illegal for their own citizens to have them (without massive bureaucratic paperwork)and us in the process while there.

I have often wondered if one innovative thinker might break down the handgun into three separate parts and send each part in a box to oneself from US to Alaska to two separate post offices, care of general delivery, hold for pick up, much the same as hikers do along the AT, CDT or PCT. One would need all three boxes to make a hand gun and would have to obtain them at two separate post offices. It is a lot of trouble, to be sure, but then so is finding two FFL holders in 2 separate states..Quite likely, this must somehow be illegal too. What a pain this whole mess has become for the law-abiding.I wonder if the lawless give much thought to it, or even care?
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #11

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Monica,

I obtained a passport prior to my Alaska trip several years ago. I knew I'd be in and out of Canada on that trip plus it would come in handy for future trips to Canada alone.

All that is required for a dog is the rabies certificate. I simply kept it inside my passport so the minute they looked at my passport they'd see the rabies certificate. I decided I'd just keep the two together, always.

I have crossed into Canada several times since Alaska, no problems.

As far as hand guns. No no no!!!!

I left mine home when I knew I'd be pulling the trailer into Canada. Last summer, I had the handgun with me but left it in my trailer when I was did a day trip in and out of the same entry point.

I've wondered if I fulltime what I'd do with my handgun when I decide to go into Canada. I know I really wouldn't want to come back through the same entry point but I'd do it if I had to. I've thought that leaving it in a locked compartment somewhere would be good. Airport, bus depot ???? Where would it be.

As far as state to state, I don't worry about it because I hope I'll never have to use it. I carry it in the trailer and of course it's loaded. Doesn't do any good unloaded.

Don't worry it's easy crossing over and back.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:56 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
As far as taking firearms into Canada, my advice is don't. Everytime I cross the border I get questioned over and over about having a handgun. Must be the Texas plates. They can and will take your firearm. If you lie about it and they find one, you can land in jail. I have friends and family in Eastern Canada so I am fairly familar with the drill. I would suggest that you store your firearm in a safe deposit box at the bank you use if it is small enough.

I found out years ago that having a Passport really speeds things up any time you need an ID. I just renewed mine and even with the terrible picture, I had my new one back in a bit over 2 weeks.

I would suggest you have a complete rabies certificate with you not just a tag and an up to date health certificate no more than 6 months old. Most people don't know it but you can be asked for that information when you are traveling here in the US. Talk to your Vet.

There used to be a requirement for an insurance card stating you have car insurance that will cover you in Canada. Lately, I just take my policy with me. Talk to your insurance agent.

Check some of the websites that folks have posted or find a Canadian tourist bureau or check AAA for additional information.

Most of all relax and enjoy your trip. Canadians are great folks and it is fantastic country.
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #13

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Thanks for the info, on the dog, they didn't give me a certificate, just the tag and the receipt that lists all her shots, is that sufficient?

The rabies tag is not acceptable. You must have a rabies certificate from the veterinarian, that indicates the rabies shot was provided within the past three months. A photo. of the animal, which must originate from the vet's office and appear on their document, is also a requirment. Gun's for personal use/protection are absolutely banned. If it's for a recognized sporting event, that is scheduled and you can PROVE your involvement, then you can apply for a permit to carry the weapon into Canada. The border crossing agents will not store a gun for you. I have attached the Canadian crossing web site for your convenience. www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/fpa-apa/law-loi-eng.html
Larry Lecuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:38 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
As far as taking firearms into Canada, my advice is don't. Everytime I cross the border I get questioned over and over about having a handgun. Must be the Texas plates. They can and will take your firearm. If you lie about it and they find one, you can land in jail. I have friends and family in Eastern Canada so I am fairly familar with the drill. I would suggest that you store your firearm in a safe deposit box at the bank you use if it is small enough.

I found out years ago that having a Passport really speeds things up any time you need an ID. I just renewed mine and even with the terrible picture, I had my new one back in a bit over 2 weeks.

I would suggest you have a complete rabies certificate with you not just a tag and an up to date health certificate no more than 6 months old. Most people don't know it but you can be asked for that information when you are traveling here in the US. Talk to your Vet.

There used to be a requirement for an insurance card stating you have car insurance that will cover you in Canada. Lately, I just take my policy with me. Talk to your insurance agent.

Check some of the websites that folks have posted or find a Canadian tourist bureau or check AAA for additional information.

Most of all relax and enjoy your trip. Canadians are great folks and it is fantastic country.
Auto insurance carriers will issue a Canadian Province Certificate, indicating your policy coverages. This is required by the Canadian Customs agents. The insurance carrier does not charge for this certificate. My carrier issues a Canadian certificate, valid for a thirty day period. Call you auto carrier a few weeks before you need the Canadian certificate and this will allow plenty of time for receiving one by mail. I also carry a photocopy of my vehicle and trailer title's to prove I am the legal owner of the vehicle. Not required, but good insurance to avoid any problems.
Larry Lecuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #15

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
We travel back and forth to dog events.

You need a rabies certificate. It must state the vet that gave the shot, when it was given, the brand used and whether it was a one year or three year vaccine. It also must identify you as the owner and the vet must sign it. It must have been given more than 30 days prior to your arrival or if less, then proof that the previous one had not expired (no gap in coverage) The tag and the bill are not good enough if they ask. (sometimes they don't)

You cannot bring open dog food into the US. The food must be in it's original packaging and sealed. The good news is that most foods are equally available on both sides.
The food cannot be made of Canadian lamb, sheep or goat meat. (that one changes regularly -- last year chicken and beef were on the list too) Here's link on dog food: Border patrol regs for dog food It's worth checking as they post the updates as they happen.
and here is the link for rabies vaccines.
Both are for entry to the US.

The US regulations are more strict than the Canadian ones. Follow the US regs and you'll be okay.

Any chance you'll be at Emily?

Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:02 PM   #16

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I would advise you to try n get in touch with Ron N in our community. He lives in Oregon, owns a beautiful 'soul mate' and fits all the criteria you manifest here. Good Luck....
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:19 PM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Quote:
Yeah, I don't want to take it, really no need to, but what I need to know is, if you have no other home besides your trailer, what do you do with them? I don't want to take it with me, just to clarify.
Monica, I'm assuming it's a hand gun and not a long gun. Put a trigger lock on it, store the ammunition separately and leave it with friends...it's not needed and not worth the hassle..IMO
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:49 PM   #18

Trailer: Boler 1984
No worries when crossing the border. The people on either side look the same, talk the same, and are friendly....just the same.
After all, most of us have relatives on both sides of the border.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:03 PM   #19

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
We go back and forth to Canada at least twice a year (hubby is a Canadian).

Food - basically no fresh foods, veggies, meats, milk, no plants. You are also limited in the amount of alcohol (beer) and/or cigarettes that you bring in.

Passport - don't need one to get back into the US until June 1. You can get a passport, passport card (only good for driving into the US), NEXUS card (have to be interviewed by the border officers prior to issuance. You will a certified copy of your birth certificate and photo ID (drivers license).

Dog or other animals - need a certficate from the vet that the pet is in good health and has all its shots and dates of shots.

Guns - well we only took a shotgun into Canada, years ago, when we were going to Alaska and they "sealed" it. We never needed it anyway. A good ice pick or hatchet works wonders and really never had any problems
Jan Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:20 PM   #20

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
Monica, Canadians are great folks, some in rural areas are virtually no different than us. I have been 20 times north of the border with rifle and shotguns, no problems. No desire to go any more. But if you do decide to go, and come through North West Wyoming, you can leave your handgun with me, not a problem, go north and when you return pick it up. It will have plenty of company! In fact, my wife said you are more than welcome to stay a night camped in the driveway or back yard.. We are about 130 miles from Yellowstone.
Randya is offline   Reply With Quote