US to Canadian $ Exchange - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-30-2018, 05:34 PM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbingel View Post
we Are buying a used trillium from a seller in Colorado. Question. This trillium is from Maine where the owner originally bought it. the owner states that in Maine, you don’t need titles for over 10 year old trailers. He has a registration from there however. With his registration and a bill of sales, can we transport the vehicle from Colorado to New Mexico, then go to the dmv here to title and register it? How does this work? Can’t get very good info on the NM dmv website. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Karen
Strongly suggest you start a new thread with a descriptive title (including the words DMV and Maine, New Mexico).

Requirements will be set by where you register / title it. I dont know about other states but here in NC, no title means no license plate. There are ways to get a title but it might not apply to your case.

As far as traveling through other states.. it might be less than legal but if you have proof of purchase, preferably notarized, and it is recent, there are very few law enforcement officers who would give it a second look. Some states issue temporary tags, often through dealers. But a simple and direct transport is not likely to be a problem. YMMV however.

The fact that he has a Maine registration but is in Colorado raises a red flag with me.

EDIT.. oh I see you did start a new thread 2 minutes later.. further replies on this topic should go to: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ico-87384.html
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:34 AM   #22

Name: Allen
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Minnesota
I've traveled all over the world. I just use my ATM card whenever I need some pocket money. Most of time though I use a credit card that has no foreign transaction fee.
Alben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:00 PM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I've found it pays to call your bank branch and make sure they have enough of the currency you need, in the denominations you want.

Or, you can get on the internet and complain.
I have to agree with Glenn !! . When I need Canadian money , I call my local bank well ahead of time and order the amount of Canadian currency I need .
It usually takes my local bank about 3 to 4 business days to get the Canadian money and the cost is based on the rate the day I pickup the funds .
Failing to plan on my part does not constitute an emergency on the part of others
Canada is different than America and we should enjoy the difference

We don’t have an ATM card , never have , in fact I don’t even know what one is .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:59 PM   #24

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post

We don’t have an ATM card , never have , in fact I don’t even know what one is .
Now I have to ask.. if you don't know what it is, how do you know you don't have one?

I would not be without my ATM card. When you need cash, ATMs are available all over the place, 24/7. There are still plenty of places that don't take credit cards, don't take the one you might have, or charge more for CC use (or give a discount for cash).

On the other hand, I will not, and do not have a Debit card. No protection against fraud, unlike a Credit Card.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:18 PM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Now I have to ask.. if you don't know what it is, how do you know you don't have one?

I would not be without my ATM card. When you need cash, ATMs are available all over the place, 24/7. There are still plenty of places that don't take credit cards, don't take the one you might have, or charge more for CC use (or give a discount for cash).

On the other hand, I will not, and do not have a Debit card. No protection against fraud, unlike a Credit Card.
When I need cash I drive to my local bank and get cash
We’re just not into electronic banking , using credit cards
or internet shopping . I’m old school and at my age see no use in changing
We live in a rural area and many of the local businesses don’t take credit cards , they would rather deal in cash .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:40 PM   #26

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
When I need cash I drive to my local bank and get cash
OIC.. I was thinking more about when traveling, when the local branch is 600 miles away. I avoid using ATMs that are not at my bank, but my bank is not everywhere and its good to have the option at an estimated three million locations.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:49 PM   #27

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
We just returned from NS, NB, PEI and Newfoundland, and changed US $ (cash) for Canadian twice, both times at banks where we do not have an account. Once in Halifax and once in Channel-Port aux Basques. Go figure. Although both times was a day after wash day, and I had shaved.
Bruce
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:52 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Olive View Post
We just returned from NS, NB, PEI and Newfoundland, and changed US $ (cash) for Canadian twice, both times at banks where we do not have an account. Once in Halifax and once in Channel-Port aux Basques. Go figure. Although both times was a day after wash day, and I had shaved.
Bruce

Sounds like you were exchanging cash for cash. Not asking a bank that you had no relationship with to give you cash on an account that may not exist, or a card that may be stolen.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:56 PM   #29

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Olive View Post
... Although both times was a day after wash day, and I had shaved.
Bruce

Thanks for the laugh.. I can't say that you made my day, but it was pretty close!
Old 11-03-2018, 07:01 PM   #30

North Carolina
Quote:
Sounds like you were exchanging cash for cash. Not asking a bank that you had no relationship with to give you cash on an account that may not exist, or a card that may be stolen.
OP was not crystal clear on this, but it sure sounds like they were trying to exchange cash. Lets try to stick to the facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod D View Post
So when we entered Canada we stopped at the first Visitor Center in New Brunswick and they directed us to a nearby bank to exchange some US dollars. ...

... but we accidentally found that WalMart, being a US company, will take your US currency and give you change back in Canadian, so that was our method there. We did the same in Nova Scotia as well.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:40 PM   #31

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post

Hmmm you got me here. What's the difference between an ATM card and a Debit card?
The card I have is issued by my bank, its called a "debit card" and is linked to my bank account, but I can use it in just about any ATM out there.

But for travel I almost only use a credit card, since like you mentioned the credit card has fraud protection the debit card doesn't have, and this is a very important difference.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 07:51 PM   #32

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl V View Post
Hmmm you got me here. What's the difference between an ATM card and a Debit card?...
Good question.. As I understand it my ATM card will not function as a debit card. But since you asked I had to look into further. Turns out its a little complicated. For now I offer these results from Google:

1. https://www.thebalance.com/can-you-u...payment-315264
Which says:
For most [debit] cards, a Visa or MasterCard logo appears at the bottom-right corner of the card. Discover and American Express cards might show a logo somewhere else on the card. If there is no logo, you have an ATM card that’s only good for use at an ATM.

Also see
https://www.cardrates.com/advice/atm...s-credit-card/

My objective is not to expose myself to the problems associated with debit cards.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:06 PM   #33

Wow, a little complicated as you said.
I may be wrong but I don't think we have what is described as "ATM Cards" here in Canada. My card is a Debit card. The only logo on my card is my bank's logo (and logos of affiliated ATM networks like Cirrus that allows me to withdraw money in just about any ATM worldwide.)
I have no idea if I can buy anything online with my debit card, I never tried and probably never will. I feel safer using my credit card for this, or better yet Paypal.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:22 PM   #34

One thing that strikes me when I travel to the States (at least in the north east), is most card readers are still using the card's magnetic strip. Almost no chip cards readers.
Over here (meaning eastern half of canada at least) chip cards have been pretty much universal for many years, for both credit and debit cards. No more sliding the cards. With the chip, you insert the card, then punch in your NIP. Now most card readers have Paypass (contactless payment) where you don't even need to insert the card, just place it on top of the reader, that's it, no PIN to type.
Two months ago I was in NH, I was surprised to see many businesses had PayPass-enabled card readers. But most of the time the cashier still asked me to slide my card. Seeing the PayPass icon on the reader I ignored them and just put my card on top of it. "Beep" and that was it, 'transaction approved', and then it was funny to look at the cashier's face: most of the time they looked totally surprised, like they didn't know what just happened, they looked like they never saw anything like that. ???

I wonder how they would react with a customer paying with their Apple watch!
Over here we get annoyed with the occasional reader that doesn't have PayPass and forces us punch in our PIN!
Old 11-03-2018, 08:27 PM   #35

North Carolina
Old habits die hard.. thats all that is.
Signing for a Credit Card purchase has been pretty much meaningless for some time. Finally in 2018 the Credit Card companies came to understand the pointlessness and stopped requiring a signature. Yet most places still ask you to sign.

Its fun to scribble all sorts of things.. I've been doing that for some time and never been questioned or had a problem.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:43 PM   #36

You mean I have to pay for my purchase?
I thought the U.S. was the land of the "free".
Old 11-03-2018, 11:05 PM   #37

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
You mean I have to pay for my purchase?
I thought the U.S. was the land of the "free".
You only have to pay a very small fraction, but then you do that many, many times until the total becomes a multiple greater than one! And, you earn valuable rebates all the while!

I used to feel sort of ridiculous when I first started using a credit card to buy groceries. But, as the card is always paid off in full each month, all with no annual fee or monthly interest charges, not doing so would have made our groceries more expensive.

Over time it's just become the norm. Sadly, whoever pays cash actually subsidizes my rebates...

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:35 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Sadly, whoever pays cash actually subsidizes my rebates...

Sadly, that's me. I have this problem with putting consumables on my credit card. I always put electronics, and the the like, on the card for the extended warranty. I refuse to pay a fee for a credit card, but somehow my card now awards points.
So, I'm paying more for a product so the card company can manage the points, pay a CEO and a board of directors and advertise their card.

I'm not going to use their damn self checkout either. I'll stand in line forever.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:31 AM   #39

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Carefree
British Columbia
Didn't have time to read the whole thread, but did see mention of "no fee" ATMs and similar.

ATMs and credit cards are the WORST way to exchange money - period! You will pay the highest exchange rates using them. Credit cards are the worst followed by ATMs.

I did see someone mention exchanging funds at your own bank before you travel - that is almost the best way - a currency exchange back home should still have a better rate. That said....your bank or a currency exchange would be your best bets.

I own a Canadian business and sell in the US in US funds - I know my exchange options!

Cheers
CarefreeLad is offline   Reply With Quote