NE Oklahoma
Government running the printing presses non stop
has to also be a factor.

carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:19 PM   #16
Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
It seems to me that the price is to some extent geographical. The further north you go the higher the price or value. See for your self on

J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:33 PM   #17
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
But, on a more positive note, used FGRV's are a supply and demand item. The supply is very limited and relative few are being adding in each year and, as mentioned, with smaller vehicles, the demand for something they can pull is going up, up, up.

Now stickies are just the opposite; Dealers are selling them to anyone with a credit score above 500, the market is flooded with for sale rigs, and fewer and fewer vehicles can pull them. But (He said somewhat tongue in cheek) stickies have a finite life expectancy and self destruct in time, still creating a market for new units for those that think BIG......

BTW: Top prices are still in the West, with SoCal out stripping all others.
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:42 AM   #18
Name: Rick
Trailer: 1971 Boler 13' / 2013 Ford Escape
NADA only goes back to 1984 and does not list Bolers. I went through the list and noticed a lot of other brands that are not there either. Prices go by supply and demand. There is a lot more demand then supply and that makes most campers more expensive. It all boils down to what are you willing to spend. I will never sell my 1971 Boler so return on investment is not an issue. I have built it custom to my needs and wants. Yes I have spent more then it is worth but it is done my way.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:04 PM   #19
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
return on investment is not an issue.
ROI for most of us is really hard to measure. Sure we can look at the actual $$ spent. But how do you factor in the other things. Is the time spent researching the forums and planning an actual cost or a form of entertainment? How about the time spent doing the work? Is that a direct labour cost or leisure time doing a hobby? How does one calculate the actual benefit from using our trailers over the years.

ROI for the flipper is another thing.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #20
Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
My wife and I live full time in one of the top branded stickies (DRV Mobile Suite), but we were able to by our (at time of purchase) four year old unit for 28 cents on the dollar. The value of a sticky goes way down fast and I wouldn't want to buy one new!

That said I think our 15' FG Parkliner will be worth more on the used market than our 38' sticky 5ver in a few short years!
Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon
Bed, Bath, & Beyond...
2010 Chevy Express 1500 AWD Van
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:45 AM   #21
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
There are two prices for a trailer. What the sellar wants and what the buyer is willing to pay. There's also location, location, location. If you're a buyer, when was the last time you saw a used (brand) all molded towable that suits your layout needs, tug ability, is in the shape you want? Once you've decided all that stuff. JUMP ON IT. But don't delay. You snooze, you lose.

Nada and all molded towables? What a joke!
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:19 AM   #22
Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
You're right Donna. Some eggs are, well, priceless
It's not the size.....
reeves99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #23
Name: Lonny
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21FB
British Columbia
Well said Donna! The right RV never lasts long.
lonnyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:23 AM   #24
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
I think I am seeing a trend in stable prices for 16 ft. with rising prices for 13 ft. Which I think supports the idea of smaller TV and gas prices adding to the demand for the "little guys".

Also think I am seeing premium prices for the higher end of the market, I'm guessing the boomers retiring and finally doing that lifetime dream of long RV trips might be a factor there. For a lifetime dream I doubt they dreamed of doing it bare bones.

On the photos sometimes posted being accurate. I recently saw a set of pictures for what appeared to be a nice looking older camper. Comments from prospective buyers said how clean and sharp it looked. I wanted to check out a modification so I zoomed in. (Ctrl key and plus + key) All I can say not all that clean or sharp, rust on appliances, less than stunning caulk and paint touch ups. Not hidden and things that would be typical of someone touching up for own use. Just not "clean" or "sharp".

I don't think it was anything deceptive at play. Picture was sharp focus and high resolution but shrunk in dimension to view in web site all detail was too small to see. Had to open the picture and zoom in to get the detail. I just hope the interested party did not drive a long way to view camper only to be disappointed.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #25
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
Has anyone else noticed how high some of the used trailer prices are this spring. I can't believe the prices some people are asking especially for the Escapes. People are asking the same or more for 6+ year old trailers than they paid new!
Why does that surprise you? When I purchased by Scamp it was 15.5 years old and included all the original purchase papers and order sheet etc. I paid the same for it that it was purchased new for. The price I paid is/was still way less than what some here have paid for a much older fiberglass trailer of the same make and age.

In regards to Escapes - keep in mind its supply and demand that drives prices. 7- 8 years ago they were not producing anywhere near the number of trailer that they are producing today & not that many folks outside of BC even now about them. As a result of the fairly low production numbers of the Escapes in their early years, a used 17' Escapes of any age is hard to find & as they have become more well known the more people on the look out for a used one - greatly increasing demand making it even hard to pick one up used.

I am always surprised by the state of the inside and outside of some of the trailers posted for sale! Gosh would it kill you to clean it out! LOL
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:56 AM   #26
Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
..................I'm guessing the boomers retiring and finally doing that lifetime dream of long RV trips might be a factor............
That is an interesting perspective I had not considered. I am in my early 50s and in the class of what I would consider the "tail" of the boomers. Glad I got my Scamp now and can enjoy it for several years. I may not have been able to find, or afford, one if I had waited.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:33 AM   #27
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
That is an interesting perspective I had not considered. I am in my early 50s and in the class of what I would consider the "tail" of the boomers. Glad I got my Scamp now and can enjoy it for several years. I may not have been able to find, or afford, one if I had waited.
Older Sister and her husband went the somewhat the same route as you suggest. Have had a camper for decades but when getting closer to retirement purchased "the last one" so it would still be fairly new and paid for by retirement. Have all the amenities for long trips.

They started in their 50's also but.... kept trading in and upgrading until about 3 years before retirement which was last year. Took a 2 month trip out west and loved it.

Now the plan is to get all their dream trips done in the next few years then sell the camper and pickup TV and not drive that monster 5th wheel or any camper after that. Motel camping from then out so brother in law won't have the hassle of towing and setting up.

Me I am thinking some about finishing off some stuff on my 13 ft. and looking for a 16 ft. to take me into retirement. My wife unlike my sister does not care much about latest features or upgrades so I might be able to pull off buying the "last one" now.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:47 AM   #28
Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Gail & I had decided a ParkLiner it was gonna be, and we planned on buying new this Spring. But all of a sudden last September one came up for sale only very slightly used in NJ, and we snapped it right up, no quibblling over price whatsoever. And we still got a great deal. We're also in it for the long term, so over time we'll do just fine.

I agree with Carol. There are two prices. But availability and location are important too. You find the egg ya want, jump!

2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
2001 F-150 XLT 4wd Super Cab 4.6L
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote