Used trailer prices - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-30-2014, 04:47 PM   #43

Name: Art
Trailer: Helite
GoodSam club sells Camper Insurance. Check it out.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #44

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Fiberglass rv 4 sale has a sold section. Drop down to pick brand is in top menu bar toward the right.

Or brands are listed on this page.

Fiberglass RVs SOLD | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
But my question still stands, I think. I have looked at the sold sections on both sites, and the only price I can see is the asking price, not the actual transaction price. How would I prove to my insurance company that they actually sold for those prices?

Old 04-30-2014, 07:07 PM   #45

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Jon, I'm not sure you'll ever know what a trailer sold for unless it was yours. But, you can be confident if the trailer was in the condition listed in the ad, was a reasonable price and sold quickly that it sold for either asking price, pennies less than asking price... or in some cases MORE than asking price. Just like sticks 'n bricks homes. What's important is amount of time listed to sale, time of year, brand, condition and location, location, location.

If you should ever have a need and your insurance company gives you grief (you HAVE captured similar ads to your trailer, right?) Send the agent here to the classifieds and archives and FiberglassRV-4-sale. Tell them to find you one exactly like you have. Watch them swallow hard...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:24 PM   #46

Arizona
Registry
Donna, when you say "capture" I am assuming you mean to save electronic and/or print copies of ads for similar trailers, right? And no, I have not.

And I guess those, along with good photos and video of your own trailer to document its condition, are the kinds of evidence you should be keep on file.

Thanks for the advice. I had never really thought before about what to expect if the unexpected happens.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:05 PM   #47

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Frank, I was thinking more about insurance claims than loans. A bank making a loan on a FGRV has something to gain from accepting a higher value (more interest) and minimal risk (in a good-credit situation), .
hummm, in the case of bank they more often than not want to be sure there is actual equity in what every they are loaning you the money to purchase so that they can be sure to be able to get back what they have in it should you fail to honour the conditions of the loan. So its in there intreat to put a lower value on it so as to force you to put more of your own funds into it. I don't think many banks would give someone a loan to buy an old fiberglass trailer to start with.... most people in a "good credit situation" are probable not going to be asking either as they most likely already have personal lines of credit at much lower intreats rates if they actually need a loan to buy one.

Re the insurance replacement costs. There is no sure thing and as you point out there is no way of knowing what a trailer actually sold for but it is a pretty good indicator to the insurance company that if you have collected ads up over the past year of the same age, make and size trailer in the same condition and they are all going asking x so many dollars or more they will come to realize that the value you are insured it for is not out of line. In my situation I have insured mine for what I paid for it although I know its actually worth more due to its current location and the fact there are few of them around, the insurance company each year has tried to get me to drop the value but I stick to my purchase price and show them current ads for the same trailer.. I BTW do pay a little more in insurance for insuring it at what I paid for it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:25 PM   #48

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
In most cases that I have been involved with, FGRV's over 5 years old are over-age for conventional loans and buyers either buy with cash, a home equity loan or a personal loan of some sort. Banks don't like older vehicles much less older FGRV's.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:42 PM   #49

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Perhaps I am missing something, but how does anyone know what a trailer actually sold for?
Some of the listings are from ebay which publishes a sold price at the end of the sale. I've noticed that Greg does on occasion add a "sold for $$$" comment to the sold listings on his site. That might come from the listings that are posted directly by the seller his site Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale.

Even here, if you cipher through the posts you will find a number of members that will post what they bought or sold a specific trailer for.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:30 PM   #50

Arizona
Registry
Crazy!

$12K… for a 2001… without a bathroom…???

2001 13' Scamp Travel Trailer | Junction City, OR | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

And I thought $10K for a 2007 was out there!

2007 13' Scamp Travel Trailer | SE Boise, ID | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

May Day!!! May Day!!!
Old 05-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #51

California
Asking isn't selling..... and Junction City is sooooo far out in the boonies that the buying audience is small or distant.

BTW The forest service campground on the Caves hiway, right outside of town, is one of the best on the planet.

We sold a 2002 13' w/bath for $10k about 20 months ago in CA, and that was a bit high
Old 05-01-2014, 08:15 PM   #52

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I had a car that the insurance company wanted to total, lost a game of tag with a full sized station wagon.
Insurance company based the amount they offered on current newspaper ads for that make and model. I had to point out and get pretty insistent that since mine was the last model year they sold this model their average composed of model years before mine was not accurate. Got further complicated by the fact that my year was not being sold by any local ads going back for at least a month.

Original Ford Fiesta, people tended to keep it because it was a great little car.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:00 PM   #53

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
I have a 2011 Casita SD which we absolutely love. With that said......I would be willing to sell it for $35,000. It's in great shape and very clean. Price is firm.......well kinda. Sorry......just couldn't resist!
Old 05-01-2014, 11:27 PM   #54

Name: Karen
Trailer: Formerly Bigfoot 25RB21 and Scamp 19
Colorado
Quote:
$12K… for a 2001… without a bathroom…???

2001 13' Scamp Travel Trailer | Junction City, OR | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

And I thought $10K for a 2007 was out there!

2007 13' Scamp Travel Trailer | SE Boise, ID | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

May Day!!! May Day!!!
That 2001 Scamp is for sale at an RV dealer that has several ridiculously overpriced units. We talked with them about a Bigfoot Class C they have on their lot and they were unwilling to discuss an even remotely reasonable price (and were kind of rude about it, too). Not surprisingly, it's still for sale after sitting there for more than a year.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:28 PM   #55

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen T View Post
That 2001 Scamp is for sale at an RV dealer that has several ridiculously overpriced units.
Wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the flippers watching this thread...
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:31 AM   #56

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen T View Post
That 2001 Scamp is for sale at an RV dealer that has several ridiculously overpriced units. We talked with them about a Bigfoot Class C they have on their lot and they were unwilling to discuss an even remotely reasonable price (and were kind of rude about it, too). Not surprisingly, it's still for sale after sitting there for more than a year.
Maybe Honest Joes RV's bought it from an unsuspecting seller by flashing the NADA prices at them..... In that case they have lots of margin, and the season is just starting