Walmart as no fee ATM - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2017, 11:46 AM   #1

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Walmart as no fee ATM

If using a debit card to make purchase at Walmart one can elect to get up to $100 cash back. Without ATM fees.

I was in Wyoming at a campground that did not do credit or debit cards so needed cash. As it happens I also needed a few grocery items. Saw the cashback screen on the self serve debit card reader and had a light bulb moment.

Was able to pay for a couple more days at that campground without hitting an out of state bank ATM with fees for the cash. Thought that Walmart service/feature might come in handy for someone else.

Oh and they have good trail mix.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:28 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Getting cash with a purchase for no fee is the common practice at grocery stores here on the left coast.

Is it different elsewhere?

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:41 PM   #3

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Hasn't it been this way for years?

Also dont use banks - use a credit union and you will get all your ATM fees refunded.
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:06 PM   #4

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
We have a grocery down the street with two ATMs. One is sponsored by a different Credit Union from ours, but our CU is are part of a cooperative network so we are not charged fees there.

The other ATM is sponsored by a bank and they will also happily provide service. They will also happily charge us their standard fee.

Being cheap in little ways like that is one thing I am pretty good at.

It helps pay for things I don't need, like travel trailers...

Old 10-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #5

Isle of Wight
Maybe sometime soon USA will outlaw these crazy chrges.
Australia has started the ball rolling...
Down under gets it right
Old 10-17-2017, 03:47 PM   #6

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Being cheap in little ways like that is one thing I am pretty good at.
That's the main reason why rich people are rich - they spend less than earn.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:12 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We don't have a bank card , cash card , debit card ,or any other except for playing cards . No banking service is FREE , there is a cost involved for any transaction of funds . We don't use these banking services yet we end up covering the costs .
Go to Walmart , buy your pack of gum , get your cash and then brag how you conned the system.
I'd rather pay my own way , it's a matter of personnal pride.!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:19 PM   #8

SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We don't have a bank card , cash card , debit card ,or any other except for playing cards . No banking service is FREE , there is a cost involved for any transaction of funds .
This is a wrong assumption. I EARN money by using debit or credit cards and always keep my money on interest earning no fees bank accounts.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
This is a wrong assumption. I EARN money by using debit or credit cards and always keep my money on interest earning no fees bank accounts.
Actually, the cost of you using your debit or credit card is built into the product you are buying, so you are paying.
I rage against points cards ( to no avail ). I have to pay more for a product so that the store can give me Air Miles, which means they have to pay Air Miles to manage the points ( and pay their executives ).
It's a sucker's game and I are one, no matter how much I complain.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:33 PM   #10

SW Florida
Points cards make no sense, I agree. Cash back cards make sense. When those fees are already included to the goods price (I know it, I'm a business owner and I accept credit cards), why not "use the system"?
Old 10-17-2017, 04:46 PM   #11

Isle of Wight
Quote:
We don't have a bank card , cash card , debit card ,or any other except for playing cards . No banking service is FREE , there is a cost involved for any transaction of funds . We don't use these banking services yet we end up covering the costs .
Go to Walmart , buy your pack of gum , get your cash and then brag how you conned the system.
Steve,

You are missing out on free money.
My credit union pays me 4% on my current account.
My no-fee credit card gives me unlimited cash back.
Seriously.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:47 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Points cards make no sense, I agree. Cash back cards make sense. When those fees are already included to the goods price (I know it, I'm a business owner and I accept credit cards), why not "use the system"?
Your correct , I get the privilege of paying MORE for my purchases in order to cover the cost of your credit transactions and so you get cash back from some mysterious source.
I live in a rural community and many of the local businesses now add 5% to your bill if you pay with a credit or debit card .
Like the owner of our local auto garage says " Why should people who pay in cash get penalized "
Like you said " Your using the system " at my expense.

By the way there is no such thing as free money , someone has to pay the bill .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:25 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
I live in a rural community and many of the local businesses now add 5% to your bill if you pay with a credit or debit card .
They better hope the card companies don't find out because they can't do that according to their contracts.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:40 PM   #14

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Cars for $500 under invoice, free cash back, free, free, free. Nothing is so expensive as free. It all has to come from someplace.

It's like a political cartoon I saw with the president dancing along pulling dollar bills out of a wallet and tossing them into the air behind him. One observer looks real pleased, all excited and happy-like. The other says "It's your wallet!"

After some years of the credit-card rewards becoming more and more prevalent, I decided that rather than subsidizing my neighbors airline miles, I would just react by "getting mine". It felt really strange when I started using a credit card at the grocery stores. After several years, I guess it stopped feeling so strange. But it still feels wrong. It's a shell game.

I believe that here in Washington State, merchants are not allowed to tack on a fee for credit or debit card users. I used to see it done in the little gro-gas stores, but I don't recall seeing that in a long while. So, you can either subsidize others or go with prevailing practice.

Maybe one day some executive at Visa or one of the other big financial firms will have a big customer appreciation day and they'll invite us all to a picnic at their mansion. Then we can snub 'em and make them feel all sad and lonely. How's that sound for an action plan?

Old 10-18-2017, 10:23 AM   #15

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
I've heard too many stories about debit card fraud to risk using any of my cards as debit cards. I prefer to use cash-back credit cards or cash and pay the balance every month so no interest charges. Clark Howard had a good article last year about the risks of using debit cards and how your bank account could be wiped out if fraud is encountered and you don't catch it in time. Perhaps the newer chip technology will help reduce/prevent this fraud. Here is part of what he said; "The idea of only being able to spend what you have can be appealing, but actually, using a debit card is riskier than carrying cash. It’s not great if someone steals your cash, but if someone steals your debit card, they can get to every cent in your bank account.

If you have to use a debit card, one way to limit the potential damage of theft is by setting up separate accounts. Put only enough money you need for the card in one account and keep the rest of your money — for other expenses like mortgage or rent, car payment, loans etc. — in a separate account so it can’t be compromised."
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:52 AM   #16

Name: Cheryl
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Thanks!
cherylbredin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:56 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
I also disagree. I have both a checking account & credit card with Capital One. Never been to one of their banks - all done on line. While this sounds like an ad for them, I am just a satisfied customer.

The debit card that comes with the free checking account can be used at almost any ATM (except a few credit unions) with the withdrawal charges reimbursed by Capital One. Interest is higher than most bank checking accounts @ .2% (.75% if you keep $50K or more). Like most checking accounts, you have access to on line bill paying.

The credit card pays 1.5% cash back for all purchases. No surcharges for Canadian purchases, and a fair exchange rate. Since I pay the bill in full each month, I have never paid them a cent in interest. Their phone app lets you know the amount of each purchase made on the card within seconds. I can let them know about my travel plans, clear holds, preset limits, etc on line. Reasonably fast phone customer service that actually seems to speak english as a native language.

I realize that others (those that maintain a balance) are paying for my use of the banking services, however this banking system works well for my style of living & traveling.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:21 PM   #18

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Although it's not specifically the topic mentioned by the OP, I'm in the habit of using the credit option instead of debit option whenever making a store purchase with my Visa or MasterCard Debit Card. The main reason is that purchase processes using signatures instead of a PIN are routed through the card issuer's network, and have liability protections for the card holder. But, purchases using signatures instead of a PIN cost the merchant more money to process - so merchants don't like that. They prefer you use debit and a PIN so the transaction can be processed as an electronic funds transfer.

Some bank networks also charge an EFT fee to the cardholder when you use debit instead of credit. Using credit, there's never a fee to the cardholder. And, as has been mentioned, some card issuers offer cash back, but that is sometimes reduced or eliminated if using the debit option.

Unless I need to get cash along with the purchase, using credit is better for me than debit. And depending on the size of the purchase, credit may be the only way to go if you want the the extra liability or warranty benefits.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:12 PM   #19

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
I am aware of credit card protection but never use a debit card as a credit card. Then is it debited on the account just the way it is when used as a debit card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Although it's not specifically the topic mentioned by the OP, I'm in the habit of using the credit option instead of debit option whenever making a store purchase with my Visa or MasterCard Debit Card. The main reason is that purchase processes using signatures instead of a PIN are routed through the card issuer's network, and have liability protections for the card holder. But, purchases using signatures instead of a PIN cost the merchant more money to process - so merchants don't like that. They prefer you use debit and a PIN so the transaction can be processed as an electronic funds transfer.

Some bank networks also charge an EFT fee to the cardholder when you use debit instead of credit. Using credit, there's never a fee to the cardholder. And, as has been mentioned, some card issuers offer cash back, but that is sometimes reduced or eliminated if using the debit option.

Unless I need to get cash along with the purchase, using credit is better for me than debit. And depending on the size of the purchase, credit may be the only way to go if you want the the extra liability or warranty benefits.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:26 PM   #20

SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
I am aware of credit card protection but never use a debit card as a credit card. Then is it debited on the account just the way it is when used as a debit card?
No, there is a big difference. If unauthorized transaction happens on a credit card, you have $0 liability. The bank-issuer will get back THEIR money. If unauthorized transaction will happen on a debit card, the bank-issuer do not care about YOUR money.