What is a Hunter I Worth? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-13-2015, 05:47 PM   #1

Name: Bex
Trailer: Casita
California
What is a Hunter I Worth?

I realize that value is dependant on several conditions, so I'm asking for a more general value based on limited info!

I have a Honda CRV so I've been looking for a 1200 pound or less trailer for camping. I came across a couple of these Hunters and this is the only place I've really seen any good info about them. So here's some info on them.

75 Hunter I #1: Asking price $4900
All original in seemingly very good condition!

This one is very far from me so I wouldn't want to go look at it unless I thought I had a good chance of buying it. But doesn't have a battery for lights at night nor electronics. So that would be an expense I would need to add.

73 Hunter Compact 2 #2: Asking Price $6500
Has some upgrades but largely original. Looks well taken care of. Has battery and new fridge.

This one is much closer and I could go look at it in about an hour drive. But I was hoping to pay under $5000 for something. Not sure I could swing the extra money.

I'm not sure what the difference between the two models is. They look really similar. I was looking at some pretty old "canned hams" until I came across these little gems. I really like them and get excited thinking about camping in style. But I'm just not sure. I'm single and spending this much money is something I need to be careful about.

Thanks much for any comments!!
rebeccasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:31 PM   #2

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
I believe the Hunter I has a fore and aft bed, nearly King or passable twin beds. This limits the other space available. Usually there is a sink stove on one side and cabinets possibly including a closet , ice box, etc
We have the Compact II. It has a side-to-side nearly queen sized bed/ dinette. Small closet. Stove and sink on one side ice box/ fridge, drawers, large closet/ toilet compartment. Ours did not come with a battery either. It had been used for all this time either plugged in to 110 or drawing off the car battery 😱
We probably overpaid since we were so glad to find it. And we have done a number of mods since acquiring it including adding a battery and 12v system from scratch since the old wire was all patched up bits.
Only you can decide if it's worth the asking price, but I wouldn't be afraid to go look and make an offer if you like it.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Two prices. What the sellar is willing to sell for and what a buyer is willing to pay! All this has to do with location/location/locatiom (when was the last time you saw a trailer that suited your needs at any price at or near your location). And second, what is it worth to you to own it?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:22 PM   #4

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Two prices. What the sellar is willing to sell for and what a buyer is willing to pay! All this has to do with location/location/locatiom (when was the last time you saw a trailer that suited your needs at any price at or near your location). And second, what is it worth to you to own it?
I just started looking in the last week. I've been wanting to get back to Yosemite for a few months but it's been too cold for me to tent camp. I thought if I could get a tiny trailer with a small heater, I would be fine during the cold nights. Plus the convenience of having everything self contained. So I'm new to everything travel trailers. Like I mentioned, I'm limited because of my tow vehicle which led me to these cute little things. They just seem like the perfect camper for a single person. I guess I'll need to assess what finances I'm willing to put into this venture. I was trying to stay under $5000!
Old 04-13-2015, 09:18 PM   #5

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
They both look in really nice condition and therefore tend to sell at a premium.
There have been others posted for sale previously in not as great condition for less but it all depends how long you want to wait, how far you want to travel and how much work you are prepared to do
If you look here it will give you an idea of prices.
Other Molded Fiberglass Trailers SOLD | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:25 PM   #6

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Did you check if this one was still for sale?
1975 HUNTER COMPACT II | near Barstow, California | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:14 PM   #7

California
WOW!! Thanks kootenai gir! Two excellent links!
Old 04-14-2015, 10:08 AM   #8

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Are you buying for fun or show?

Campers can be a means to an end or the end itself.

I like my Compact Jr because it is lightweight, easy to tow, and is a big step up from a tent. It serves as a nice little cabin at the lake.

I didn't want to spend twice as much for something that looked much nicer as my goal was comfort, not to have a showpiece.

My budget was a lot less than yours and I found this one for under $2,000 but it certainly isn't any where near as nice as the ones you are considering.

The ones you posted look very original and in super shape. I think finding units in that nice of shape is rare.

You can check the old for sale listings here and see a lot of units that were priced around $3,000 or more that still needed work.

if you don't want a fixer-upper and want a head turner that one for under $5,000 looks like it would fill the bill.

take a good look under the seats and see what shape the floor is in. and check the bolts connecting the floor to the fiberglass and be sure they aren't rusting away.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
post.jones lake camper.jpg  
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:16 PM   #9

Name: Teri
Trailer: Casita looking for, currently have a RoadTrek
California
Registry
I spent a good deal of time looking for the right trailer at a reasonable price for me. the one I found was a 3 1/2 hour drive way. It was campable and needed some work, like a 12v system. If you are in the Bay Area PM me so you can see what a similar trailer looks like. I have a Trailswest Campster which is a lot like the hunter compacts.

Good luck. I think of our fiberglass trailers,especially the smaller ones, as the comfortable version of a tent. Also it is great to be able to have a small trailer in Yosemite in the spring or fall.
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:17 PM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Value is a toughie as stuff gets rare and older. I feel I paid too much for my Scamp, considering all I had to do to it even though it was not in "bad" shape by any means (except the shot axle). I borrowed the money to buy it, and paid it off in 9 months for a total of about $75 interest. During the 9 months I was paying on the loan my daughter and I camped in it 24 nights, not counting the nights just "trying it out" in the driveway. We might have gone some but certainly not that many nights without the Scamp (and comfortable beds). We continue to go almost every month but no less than every other month, and are making a lot of memories. More money I can get (within reason of course) but time, and time camping with my 11 year old daughter is a VERY finite commodity.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:25 PM   #11

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Tim makes a very good point. Waiting for the perfect price may mean a year less of using the trailer. But I agree- both seem to be in good condition. Check on things like age of tires, battery (for the one that has one), as adding those can cost money, too. I think my Campster is insured for $4500 but it has no fridge or battery and right now no water and no cushions (set up with permanent 3/4 bed.)

You might also keep an eye on the Compact Facebook page as sometimes for sales are listed there; plus you can see some of the finished trailers.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:11 PM   #12

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
If that fridge is a 3 way RV fridge they are expensive, I would guess between $600 for a really small one to $1000 or more as they increase in size.

Might be the seller with the newer fridge is just trying to get that cost back out. Age of tires and battery could also influence asking price (for me anyway). But since it is money already spent it also provides some wiggle room on asking price. Or value to you in purchasing it if these items won't need replacing for awhile.

You might if you are handy be able to get some sweat equity if able to bring the less expensive one up to the features of the more expensive one by adding the fridge and 12 volt system.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:51 PM   #13

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
A used 3 way RV fridge costs between $0 and $200. I have never paid more then $100 for one.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:04 PM   #14

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
A used 3 way RV fridge costs between $0 and $200. I have never paid more then $100 for one.
If the owner selling bought it used then sure but if they bought it new.... Buying used and installing yourself is how one gets sweat equity. Once the camper has a fridge that makes it worth what one with a fridge is worth.

Me I would tend to buy the cheaper one without the fridge and make a trip to Elkhart for a used one. Wife likes to go to Shipshewana which is right near Elkhart. I do antique stores with her, she does RV salvage yards with me (or sits in the car reading while I prowl around).
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:40 PM   #15

California
Thanks everyone for your great responses. I just thought I would update everyone and let you know I bought a 1985 Casita 13' today. I couldn't bring it home just yet because I need to have the proper electrical plug installed on my car. That will happen on Monday. But I'm (tentatively) the owner of a Casita now.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:39 PM   #16

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
Congrats Rebecca. I hope you make tons of memories.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote