What is the deal with shipping to Canada? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-28-2013, 12:45 AM   #15

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker

Whenever I have a purchase shipped from US to Canada, I always look for a company that ships using USPS and Canada Post, as this is almost always the most cost effective. When companies insist on using UPS, that is the highest costs, followed by the courier companies such as FedEx, Purolator, etc. I will never purchase anything again where UPS is used, as I have been burned too often by unexpectedly high customs brokerage fees they charge on top of their fairly high shipping costs.
I just looked at both option and UPS beat out USPS/CP by $36 to $54. Shipping was for a $30 personal blender that a young Canadian girl wanted in a US only color. I was kicking myself over it because I spent so much time getting the right customs paperwork that I could have mailed it from within Canada a few weeks later. Costs are way too high to ship things to Canada.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:10 AM   #16

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
I just looked at both option and UPS beat out USPS/CP by $36 to $54. Shipping was for a $30 personal blender that a young Canadian girl wanted in a US only color. I was kicking myself over it because I spent so much time getting the right customs paperwork that I could have mailed it from within Canada a few weeks later. Costs are way too high to ship things to Canada.
Don't be fooled. UPS will add an additional $50 brokerage fee to this delivery. Dispite the numbers you quoted, USPS is likely still less expensive.

Derek

Old 02-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #17

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
I'm as happy to bash UPS as anybody else, but to be fair: whether or not you get hit with a stupidly high brokerage fee depends on the particular UPS service. I think it's UPS world-wide express shipping that doesn't carry a brokerage fee.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #18

Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Shipping within Canada is cheaper than shipping across the border, shipping from Canada to US is cheaper than shipping US to Canada, I have never been happy with UPS, their fees are exorbitant, and they don't know customs rules well. On at least 4 ocaisions I have had to fight with them over brokerage fees, as they "didn't know" items $20.00 or less Canadian were duty free., or they counted the shipping cost as part of the item.
Our postal rates are much higher than the US, but I prefer it to couriers.

Joe
Old 02-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
They also dont seem to know that an item made in the US is duty free. They also dont seem to have any idea as to what items regardless of where they were made are duty free either - such as most photography gear. You would think they would have an automated system in that regard but they do not.

Best advise I can give people is have a friend in the US who you can send the goods to - a lot of on line stores offer free shipping within the US. Then have your friend send it to you via parcel post or bring it up on their next visit or meet them part way on a camping trip. I have a friend who lives state side who receives goods for about 4 or 5 of her northern camping friends on a regular bases. A bit of a laugh as she often has items land on her door step and then has a puzzling moment while she tries to recall what she may have purchased and when. Has had everything from solar panels to propane campfires and clothing land on her door step & half the time we forget to tell her we are having it sent to her. Last fall was a particularly heavy shopping time for her northern friends so she meet everyone at a campground just a couple of miles south of the border and arrived with the back of her truck full and let everyone take what they had bought home to Canada themselves. It was bit like Christmas as some had forgotten what they had ordered.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #20

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
In most cases it is not that UPS is charging duty, almost nothing I order is subject to duty anyway. Their brokerage charge is clearing customs with the merchandise. The thing is, that they charge on a sliding scale for this fee, costing more the higher the cost of the item. When in fact, it takes the same amount of time to fill in the paperwork, a few seconds.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #21

Name: Dave
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
We find the selection is often better on ebay.com or amazon.com than ebay.ca or amazon.ca but they charge so much to ship to Canada and many places won't ship to a post office box in the USA. We use a place called CBI in Niagara Falls it's an actual warehouse that will hold your parcels for you. They charge approx $5.00 per parcel and the service is excellent. We order a bunch of stuff then take a trip to Niagara Falls and pick it up.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #22

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacDonald View Post
Canada post charges $5
most of the time
Now starts at $9.95.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourpets View Post
Brokerage fees are usually added after the item has been shipped though. They are IN ADDITION to the cost to mail the item in the first place. Usually you pay these when the package arrives at your doorstep.
All of the shippers offer prebrokerage services in their fees that are much more economical. Even USPS shipped items from ebay now factor in taxes automatically, thanks to Pitney Bowes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
They also dont seem to know that an item made in the US is duty free.
Duties and sales taxes are 2 different beasts. NAFTA vs HST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Maybe I'm just dense, but I still don't get it.
Seems like using the postal system it shouldn't cost and arm and a leg to ship into Canada.
Tom, things have changed in the last year. USPS is trying to make $ at both the post office and online by offering you the moneymakers up front and concealing the lower cost options in the background. Best bet is to try the online calculator and you will see what I mean:
International Price Calculator

I've got a pair of safety glasses in transit from the US via Fedex right now. Shipping was $27.95 and that is supposed to include brokerage fees billed to the shippers account. I understand I'll be responsible for local taxes and possibly a "collection" fee on delivery. I'll keep this thread posted.

My thinking is that the various governments saw the potential loss of revenues on taxes and got together with the shippers to make things work better so the governments did not lose out.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #23

Ontario
My Glasses arrived today. No tax or extra charges on delivery via fedex.

I expected to pay taxes on part of the order because the glasses included a polarized lens. Might be that they were labelled safety glasses or had prescription inserts, the entire order was not taxed.

I destroy glasses at work, so finding a set of durable safety glasses with a low cost replaceable outer that is comfortable was a challenge. Then I stumbled across Revision Military. They have a pair of safety glasses with a prescription insert that allows you to change the lenses. The lenses come in a variety of colours as well as a compatable goggle system. Well worth a look for a multifunction product. They even sell a CSA version for us Canadians. Revision Military | Sawfly Military Eyewear System

They regularily offer 30% discounts, so google for them.

Moral of the story is - if you pay a little extra for an upgraded service it can save you a bundle in the end.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #24

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I received a package from UPS and two weeks later got a bill via Canada Post. $50 for customs brokerage. Hopefully, you are not in for a surprise a week or two down the road.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #25

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
My Glasses arrived today. No tax or extra charges on delivery via fedex.
I have my fingers crossed for you, Roy....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I received a package from UPS and two weeks later got a bill via Canada Post. $50 for customs brokerage. Hopefully, you are not in for a surprise a week or two down the road.
... but my experience matched Glenn's.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #26

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Interesting that they use Canada Post to deliver the bill rather than have their UPS driver hand it to you along with the parcel. Guess that's so you can't refuse delivery.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #27

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
UPS billed you via Canada Post? That really tells you what they think of their fees.

No surprises expected. Invoice reads "Duty/Tax billed to Shipper".
The service selected includes customs brokerage. I ordered Friday and Received on Monday. International air shipping including tracking and brokerage was $27.90. <FedEx International Economy>
Fedex label reads bill shipper.

USPS prices would have been:
Global Express Guaranteed (1-3 days) $67.25
<USPS uses FedEx Express for this service>

Express Mail International flat rate box (3-5 days) $64.95
Express mail using your box $41.40
Priority Mail International Med flat rate box (6-10 bus days) $40.95
First Class International (@ 2 lbs.) $24.05

Any wonder why USPS is losing business?

All the above may have invoked brokerage/collection fees. So it pays to shop around and see what you are getting.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:36 AM   #28

Name: Bizzian
Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Ontario
Registry
I lost the butter knife from my flatware (or somebody tossed it??) which is an outdated pattern. Found a replacement on-line with a US firm at $5.95 and thought wow! However, by the time shipping, customs, etc. was added the thing was going to cost me $69.95!!!! That's when I spent a day digging about in the local "used" stores and luckily found exactly what I needed. Cost? 0.25 cents plus my day and my gas.
In the past I have bought solar panels from US sources, but I now know to always check if they ship to Canada, and exactly how much the extra's are. Thanks for the informative discussion. Buyer beware.