Why NOT To Buy An RV!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2016, 11:18 AM   #1

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Why you should NOT Buy An RV!!!

Now that the title has your attention you really should watch this 17 minute weekly blog video from Consumer & Lemon Law Attorney Steve Lehto telling you "WHY You Should Not Buy an RV".

Since most of us already own an RV and will probably buy another you will still learn some good information to make you a better RV buyer in the future particularly if you are buying a NEW RV!

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/IP_u2JR51_Y

RV Travel Newsletter, July 9-15 – RV Travel
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:54 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
In the video, an RV is defined as a vehicle that runs down the road under it's own power. So, he's talking about motorhomes not travel trailers. The lemon law applies to drive trains.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:08 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
He says in a comment it applies to TT but also to research the best manufacturers. Some of it applies but luckily I don't think most of it does.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:47 PM   #4

Tennessee
Several of the BIG points Steve points out that effects ALL RV's and owners including trailers discuss's the liability and performance exclusion clauses virtually all RV dealers include in their purchase contracts today and the constant problem timely warranty repair by the manufacturer's and/or their dealers who perform the work.

The RV industry is UP once again almost 15% in sales in 2016 versus 2015 and QUALITY OF PRODUCT DELIVERED is becoming a HUGE PROBLEM. Pump em out the door and worry about fixing the problems under warranty at a later date. And YES that includes our beloved fiberglass shell trailer manufacturer's as discussed numerous time here on this forum from those fortunate enough to purchase a new fiberglass trailer. They have lot's of problems also!

This effects us ALL!

Here's a little campaign payback by the RV industry to an Oklahoma Legislator in their constant efforts to thwart any chance of an RV, motorized or not, being covered by any state's Lemon Laws. This information is included in this weeks RV Travel Newsletter with a link in my original post.

The RV industry certainly DOES think the Lemon Law issue is important!

"Oklahoma State Senator Dan Newberry recently received an endorsement from the Oklahoma Recreational Vehicle Association. The endorsement comes on the heels of Newberry’s successful efforts to kill a bill that would have rolled recreational vehicles into the state’s existing “lemon law.” The bill would have required industry to buy back any RV that was not satisfactorily repaired after a reasonable number of efforts. The association says they’ll be keeping a close eye on next year’s session to ensure the bill isn’t reintroduced."
Old 07-10-2016, 12:50 PM   #5

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Some of it applies but luckily I don't think most of it does.
Why would YOU say "Luckily I don't think most of it does"?

Are you an RV manufacturer?
Old 07-10-2016, 12:53 PM   #6

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
In the video, an RV is defined as a vehicle that runs down the road under it's own power. So, he's talking about motorhomes not travel trailers. The lemon law applies to drive trains.

Depending upon your state of residence the "Lemon Law" can apply to far more consumer items than just a vehicle. That can include a trailer in some states. Read your State of Residence's consumer laws for more information that is appropriate to your situation and product.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:56 PM   #7

Name: Rich
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster and 2012 Lil Snoozy
Kansas
Registry
Daughter and son in law bought a new Winnie Minnie travel trailer.
She said they need to be gentle with it because they discovered it is cheaply made.
Unlike their trailer, we can take our Snoozy almost anywhere and it wont fall apart.
They should have listened to Mom!
Rich and Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:42 PM   #8

My Escape came with a two year warranty from the manufacturer. ALL the appliances had a one year warranty from the individual appliance manufacturer. While the first part warranty is uncommon, the second one is very common in the all-molded-towable world.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:17 PM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
My Escape came with a two year warranty from the manufacturer. ALL the appliances had a one year warranty from the individual appliance manufacturer. While the first part warranty is uncommon, the second one is very common in the all-molded-towable world.
My trailer came with a 7 year ball to bumper warranty. When the manufacturer reneged I was on my own. Unless you have the power of numbers or very deep pockets, the cost of an attorney is probably alot more than just fixing it yourself.

This forum is your best friend. If you have a problem there is no doubt a member who has dealt with same issue. Today my trailer is fixed because of this resource. I asked, read alot, and gained the knowledge to solve my own problems.

Also, sharing issues sooner or later gets the message to the manufacturers. If you don't build a better product, folks will go elsewhere. If the owner of xyz rv hears that his product is not selling because of leaky windows my guess is that the leaks will quickly stop. We can debate whether Escape builds a better trailer than the other guys but as long as buyers perceive that they do, there will be a very long waiting list in Chilliwack. Why the other guys don't get that is beyond me. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:16 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Why NOT To Buy An RV!!!

Well said, Raz.

Lemon laws are typically applied to passenger vehicles because they are considered an essential link in the overall functioning of the economy. If people can't drive, they can't get to work, they can't get to the store to buy goods and services, etc. There is a large ripple effect- unemployment, loss of health insurance, credit default, social welfare costs,... One can make a credible argument than lemon laws serve the common good. (Whether they work as intended is another matter...)

RVs are a non-essential luxury item. Beyond basic safety on the highway, it's a lot harder to argue the government has a legitimate interest in putting broken RVs back on the road. That is perhaps best left to the consumer and the normal working of the market.

At least in the cases of small molded fiberglass companies, it seems to work exactly as Raz describes. Companies that respond to their customers survive and thrive, while companies the don't eventually end up as legacy manufacturers.

Doesn't make it any easier if you get taken unawares, though... caveat emptor!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:38 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
This is a spur off-topic to the original "Lemon" RVs...but ALL of this sorta reminds me of one of my Aunt's story about a house she bought. They bought a "used" house in a prominent neighborhood in our town called "Sunnyside". That use to be the "upper class".... "Society"...."Well-off" neighborhood in our town. Basically, people felt if you lived there, I reckon you were living the "American Dream" Crazy I know.

Anyway, they came into some money and she thought her day had arrived! So yep, they bought a house in.... Ooooohhh.... "Sunnyside"! Her glee turned to "Horror" one day when the floor didnt feel right. They had someone come out to inspect and yessir...as you can guess where this is going, the entire floor had rotted out..... in none other than SUNNYSIDE! Quite and expensive repair bill. Her dumb statement was, "But this house is in Sunnyside!!"

It doesnt matter RV, House, vehicle.... there's no guarantee because of the name brand. But I learned one thing....you'd BETTER learn the "business" before you invest in it!! If you dont know what to look for, you most likely WILL get burned. But in the case of a NEW RV? It's still man-made. I've always said and still say, "Owning an RV is not for the faint of heart!"
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:55 AM   #12

A most interesting read!

RV Death Spiral: Manufacturers in race to the bottom
Old 07-11-2016, 09:06 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Donna, is that article from a subscription-based source? It's not letting me in.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Donna, is that article from a subscription-based source? It's not letting me in.
No it's not Jon. I just clicked on the link I provided and it opened right up for me. I'm on a PC using IE 11, if that makes a difference.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:54 AM   #15

The article opened fine from my Chromebook also. And, I was not surprised by what I read.

A lot of the issue is quality control, a total lack. In production, it is all about meeting quotas, not quality.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:01 AM   #16

It opened for me: Win 7 Mozilla Firefox 47.

Quote:
No it's not Jon. I just clicked on the link I provided and it opened right up for me. I'm on a PC using IE 11, if that makes a difference.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Opened fine for me (Macbook w/ Firefox)--as a newbie to RV's it's a depressing read.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:22 AM   #18

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
I read an article in a financial/investment magazine many years ago about the RV industry that quoted the CFO of an RV manufacturer stating "An RV is engineered to have a service life of five years after which it becomes high maintenance." He was talking about motor homes but I think the same philosophy has trickled down to (almost) all RV and RV appliance manufacturers.

With the five year service life in mind it is hard to imagine why they can be financed for ten, twelve and even twenty years.

The fiberglass camper industry has, for the most part, built a body that can last for forty or more years if properly taken care of but they are stuck with the same crappy appliances and hardware used in those short service life motor homes, campers and fifth wheels. Some have had design issues as indicated in other posts on this forum but most have been corrected (although some manufacturers have simply disappeared, quit answering their phones or "reorganized" to avoid making the corrections). We have also seen some manufacturers come and go over the years; Some with quality products and a few that should have gone through a bit more design review or beta test before production.

I built out my own camper on a factory purchased "hull" and used the best quality hardware I could find including SS screws and bolts but had to install and RV style stove, refrigerator and water heater. There isn't one staple or dab of liquid nail anywhere in it.

BTW - I've owned various campers and a motor home over the 45 years I've been camping. The problems we see today were well established long before then.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #19

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
Opened for me on an iPad.
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:49 AM   #20

Steve, stick with our fiberglass-style trailers.

You're ALOT less likely to face what these people are facing. Not ALL purchases are bad. To me, it's more of an "education" on what to look for BEFORE you buy. I realize that if you get a new motorhome and the motor was to lock up, there's NO way to see that coming.... There's just some things that's going to play out because it's simply called "life"!

If I was purchasing a new trailer in the 16' + range today, I would go ESCAPE!

But BigFoot sure has a 25'er I'd like to have...but not for the $$. Same with the beautifully and excellent constructed OLIVERS. But Bigfoot has the BEST layout for a large layout for a fiberglass trailer than ANY manufacturer on the market! 25B25FB

But remember....FIBERGLASS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowman View Post
Opened fine for me (Macbook w/ Firefox)--as a newbie to RV's it's a depressing read.