$10 LED tail lights - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-06-2015, 02:24 PM   #1

Name: Doug
Trailer: Trillium 1300 1973
British Columbia
Registry
$10 LED tail lights

Here are pictures of my new Trillium tail lights.
If you search LEDs on eBay you will find automotive type LED modules for under $2 with free shipping from China. I ordered in some of the wedge type (typically used for dashboard lights), and a white 1watt LED in a bayonet socket for license plate. The rest was a scrap piece of circuit board material and some solder and epoxy. While you are on ebay, check out the white festoon LED arrays (also under $2) which make excellent replacements for existing interior lights (also requiring a bit of solder and epoxy.
LEDs are constantly increasing in lumens per watt and these are quite bright and draw significantly less current than the original incandescent bulbs. Two ways of extending your off grid camping period are, solar panels and draw less current. Currently the only thing I use 12V for is interior LEDs and the fan on my furnace. I ran the numbers and figure I can camp comfortably for 2 weeks off the battery without solar. I do have a 55W solar array but usually leave it at home unless I plan to run the furnace for an extended period.
Doug
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1428347291.844468.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	82308Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1428347304.626182.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	82309

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Doug L

Old 05-10-2015, 12:40 AM   #2

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleverton View Post
Here are pictures of my new Trillium tail lights.
If you search LEDs on eBay you will find automotive type LED modules for under $2 with free shipping from China. I ordered in some of the wedge type (typically used for dashboard lights), and a white 1watt LED in a bayonet socket for license plate. The rest was a scrap piece of circuit board material and some solder and epoxy. While you are on ebay, check out the white festoon LED arrays (also under $2) which make excellent replacements for existing interior lights (also requiring a bit of solder and epoxy.
LEDs are constantly increasing in lumens per watt and these are quite bright and draw significantly less current than the original incandescent bulbs. Two ways of extending your off grid camping period are, solar panels and draw less current. Currently the only thing I use 12V for is interior LEDs and the fan on my furnace. I ran the numbers and figure I can camp comfortably for 2 weeks off the battery without solar. I do have a 55W solar array but usually leave it at home unless I plan to run the furnace for an extended period.
Doug
Attachment 82308Attachment 82309

Doug L

So you have to solder every one of them? I guess I don't understand. Will go check them out. :-) Thanx

Old 05-10-2015, 01:01 AM   #3

Name: Doug
Trailer: Trillium 1300 1973
British Columbia
Registry
Yes you do, but it is minimal. The easiest ones to solder are the ones that come with wire pigtails. What I did with mine is glue them into the fixture with epoxy or construction adhesive, and solder the 2 wires to the existing wires that went to the incandescent bulb. They were significantly brighter than the incandescents and drew about 1/5 the current.
For a little more money ($4 to $5), you can get LED units that simply replace the bulb (also from China on EBay).

Doug L
Old 05-10-2015, 08:17 AM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I bought some cheap LED panels off Fleabay and adapted one into one of the interior fixtures in my Scamp and was disappointed. Initially it worked well and was quite bright but over time (few months) many of the "bulbs" on the panel went out in a random pattern. I just last week replaced the whole thing with a new LED light fixture (around $10) bought through Amazon. I am slowly changing over to LEDs in the Scamp. All of the interior lights are done except the one in the bathroom (we don't use it much) and the 120V over the counter.

I also just this past week did all four side marker lights with LED replacements. One of my side markers had broken and was non-functioning, and the other three broke or just plain crumbled when I removed them. I have not converted my tail lights as they are bright and working well since I cleaned the lenses, wire brushed the bulb sockets for good contact, and installed new bulbs where needed.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #5

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I have found when it come to LED lights one gets what you pay for.

A friend purchased a box of very inexpensive LEDS lights for their trailer and gave what they did not need to some of their camping buddies. I had already changed all but two of the inside lights out a few of years prior & all still working (had also replaced the rear taillights a number of years ago with LED). Sadly discovered the cheap LED lights I got from my friend failed after one year - one of them did not even make it through a year.

I would be concerned that really inexpensive LED taillights may be at high risk to failing and its most probable going to happen when on a long road trip. Not a biggy if its just an interior light but not so good if its the rear tail lights.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #6

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
Yeah I was wondering about that too. We bought some of those fluorescent lights from Sams Wholesale to replace all our high wattage lights. I don't know how many of those things have blown in less than a year. Then I have also heard the ones made in China someone had one to catch on fire inside their house and thank goodness they were home. They said not to buy them unless they were the good name brand ones. I bet that was scary!!!

Tags
light, lights, tail lights