100W solar panel with controller for $120 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2017, 03:24 PM   #1

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
100W solar panel with controller for $120

Just saw that Costco.com has a 100W solar panel with 7A controller on sale during November for $120. Sounds like a pretty good deal.
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:26 AM   #2

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
Hey Doug that is an attractive price point to get into solar.

That unit looks like a Polycrystaline cell, which is middle ground in terms of efficiency (power output). Amorphous is least and Monocrystaline is most.

If you hunt up the parts separately you might land a Monocrystaline panel for about the same. I'm in Ohio and Monocrystaline works better than the others on cloudy days so that's why it interests me.

It seems that the cost of Solar has steadily dropped. I just ordered a set of 100 watt Monocrystaline Flexible panels for $114 each with free shipping on eBay. They only weigh 8 pouds a piece!

There's no wrong way to get into it if you ask me. I started with a 45 watt set of three 15 watt amorphous panels from Harbor Freight for 150 bucks years ago. It came with a controller (of sorts) and some lights. I look back on it now and the system seems way over priced and under performing to me in lots of ways, but have no regrets. It was easy to jump in and a lot of fun to learn from. Grabbed a lot if electrons with that set over the years.
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:41 AM   #3

OH
By the way, for those who might be interested (I was), the International Trade Commission has recommended to our Country that we impose a 30 percent tarriff (increased price) on imported solar modules and another on individual cells. It's on its way to the big desk for consideration. Here's a link to an article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gre...ecommendations

(I'm not at all interested in comments or arguments on the politics of it, save that for the campfire this isn't the place.)

Just passing it along in the event someone is on the fence of aquiring a set now or in the spring (I was). Nothing might come of it - but a 30 percent increase is an extra panel if you're ordering a few. I decided to get mine in the pipeline now.

Also I have an imulse control problem with this hobby, so maybe I was just looking for an excuse to get them here sooner!!!
Old 11-11-2017, 10:35 AM   #4

Name: stefan
Trailer: 76 Trillium 1300
Waterloo, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggeee View Post

It seems that the cost of Solar has steadily dropped. I just ordered a set of 100 watt Monocrystaline Flexible panels for $114 each with free shipping on eBay. They only weigh 8 pouds a piece!

You wouldn't happen to want to share a link at that price, would you???

Thanks
Stef
stefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:28 PM   #5

OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefman View Post
You wouldn't happen to want to share a link at that price, would you???

Thanks
Stef
Here you go Stef. Looks like they are $120 today.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mono-20V-10...53.m2749.l2648
Old 11-13-2017, 02:04 PM   #6

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Eggcamper
Kansas
Quote:
Here you go Stef. Looks like they are $120 today.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mono-20V-10...53.m2749.l2648
I notice at the very bottom of the ebay listing that duties and taxes are not included in the price and are the buyers responsibility. When you receive your panels, can you post what extra charges you ended up having to pay?
Ruban&Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:29 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Hmmm... An even better deal? Same pictures and everything, just a different vendor:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mono-20V-10....c100005.m1851
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:33 PM   #8

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
buy quick....

looks like solar panels are about to get more expensive in the US...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatsp.../#710c407340fa

from north of the 49th....that price, exchange, and add some possible processing fees etc....looks to me like it's coming at about 2 bucks a watt....that's a good price ...sometimes you can get that locally if you keep looking for sales/clearances......the "flexible" angle is harder to find though...
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Hmmm... An even better deal? Same pictures and everything, just a different vendor:
Now at $31.00. Too good to be true?
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:39 PM   #10

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougOlson View Post
Just saw that Costco.com has a 100W solar panel with 7A controller on sale during November for $120. Sounds like a pretty good deal.
I took a look at it. It is a registered trademark "Coleman" solar panel with a controller. The price of $119 includes shipping and reflects a $40.00 manufacturers discount.

But what is really odd is that if you go the the official Coleman products website you won't find a solar panel listed on it. Therefore I would suppose that this deal at Costco is for a discontinued product from the Coleman which means that a replacement panel or the controller for a warranty return situation would not be available. They say it has a 25 year warranty but what good does that do if the company that sold it has no other solar panels to replace it with? Perhaps you could get a refund but then you would have to find another panel that hopefully could use the same mounting brackets you installed.

As sometimes as does happen a great deal may or may not be the best deal for the money. You can roll your dice and hope to get something reliable. But you would not want to buy it and store it away for next year's installation without first making sure it actually works as advertised.

For myself i think it might be better to purchase something from a solar panel company that is in the solar panel business and has a good reputation for their solar products. Coleman is in the camping goods business and apparently they decided to give a try at selling solar panels and then found it was not a very good fit for them so are getting out of that business. That means the product support you would hope to have such as being sent a replacement panel and controller won't be there for you if something goes wrong with your bargain priced Coleman solar panel and controller.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:07 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I have two 40 watt Coleman solar panels. They regularly go on sale at a good price, at Canadian Tire, along with other size Coleman panels.
Each came with a controller and other accessories. I use alligator clips to battery terminals.
Queries about the panels go to:
Sunforce Products Inc.
"Celebrating 10 years as the leading choice for Green Energy Solutions"

Attached Thumbnails
Solar Honda.jpg   Solar Accessories.jpg  

Old 11-13-2017, 08:29 PM   #12

OH
Quote:
Yeah John Linck that's how this struck me too. Insane get em for free price.

The seller has only sold one, has minimal history and has no other items listed on eBay. Also, I can't get that listing to pop up on eBay through any search terms at all, only through the link from David.

How'd you find that link Dave?

The panels, and pictures, are in a number of listings, some with slightly different specs. My guess is they are being grabbed in batches by middlemen.

But thirty bucks? I'd buy 10 if it's real. Lol
Old 11-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #13

OH
Quote:
Yeah John Linck that's how this struck me too. Insane get em for free price.

The seller has only sold one, has minimal history and has no other items listed on eBay. Also, I can't get that listing to pop up on eBay through any search terms at all, only through the link from David.

The panels, and pictures, are in a number of listings, some with slightly different specs. My guess is they are being grabbed in batches by middlemen.

But thirty bucks? I'd buy 10 if it's real. Lol
Well they wouldn't let me buy multiple. A message pops up that says the seller only allows each person to buy one every 10 days. There were eight left as of a few minutes ago so I ordered one. I figure PayPal and Ebay both have protections so for 30 bucks I'd take the risk. We'll see...

Thanks David
Old 11-14-2017, 10:53 AM   #14

OH
Quote:
Well they wouldn't let me buy multiple. A message pops up that says the seller only allows each person to buy one every 10 days. There were eight left as of a few minutes ago so I ordered one. I figure PayPal and Ebay both have protections so for 30 bucks I'd take the risk. We'll see...

Thanks David
Here's another weird one. A 50w flexible for 15 bucks that should be about 80. It will only let you buy one every 10 days. Again, a risk but I ordered one. Here's the link if you are feeling the fool as well:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-W-Watt-1...19.m1438.l2649

My guess is these freebies will turn out to be fakes and that the low ball price coupled with limited purchase volume fits into some eBay scam loophole somehow. If I get either of these panels I'll let you know.

In the meantime, the four that I ordered at close to market price in the first link I posted are showing that they've been shipped so that's a good sign.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:21 AM   #15

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1999
So if I buy one of the those (50w cheap panels on ebay) & it turns out to be true and actually arrives:

What other things do I need to make it charge the battery?
A controller & ??? (I'm not solar literate yet.)
Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:23 PM   #16

Alberta
Registry
Quote:

It was just one of those, "You May Like" links at the bottom of the original $120 version.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #17

OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
So if I buy one of the those (50w cheap panels on ebay) & it turns out to be true and actually arrives:

Yep. Just a controller. And a small one at that. This 50 watt panel lists a max short circuit amp production as 3 amp. 3 amps multiplied by 1.25 (safety factor) calls for a controller rated at least 3.75 amps (so for example a small 10 amp controller would be plenty big). Here's a link to a basic one for ten bucks that can get you into the sandbox

http://mwands.com/store/12-24-volt-s...rice&order=ASC

Careful though - it's addictive this solar thing
Old 11-14-2017, 01:05 PM   #18

Alberta
Registry
OK, I put in an order for the $31US 100 W flexible solar cell. We will see if I got burned. The delivery estimate is concerning:
Estimated between Fri. Dec. 1 and Thu. Jan. 11

At ~$40 Cdn. This will be a fairly cheep lesson.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:08 PM   #19

OH
Quote:
OK, I put in an order for the $31US 100 W flexible solar cell. We will see if I got burned. The delivery estimate is concerning:
Estimated between Fri. Dec. 1 and Thu. Jan. 11

At ~$40 Cdn. This will be a fairly cheep lesson.
At least I won't be alone!
Old 11-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #20

OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark J View Post

Also Mark... Note that the 50 watt panel has the hook ups BEHIND the panel. Most hard frame panels are this way, hooking up beneath. Flexible panels though often, or usually, have the hook ups on top of the panel so you can glue them flat to a surface. The location (front or back) of the hook up will influence how you can mount it. That is all.

Tags
solar, solar panel