1156 bulb unnecessary? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2019, 01:30 PM   #1

Name: Nigel
Trailer: Scamp 13
Minnesota
1156 bulb unnecessary?

I have a 1997 Scamp 13 standard and I am replacing the street side taillight assembly with a Bargman 30-92-108. It comes with only one socket - for an 1157 bulb.
The existing taillights are original from Scamp in 1997 and have a lower 1157 and an upper 1156. As far as I can tell, the 1156's do not come on for running, brake, turn or flashers, so maybe that answers my question. Are they back-up lights possibly ( I have a 4-pin connector)?

Background - I am replacing the assembly because the license plate holder had snapped off. Also, I recently lost the red lens while driving. I do have wiring issues, but only with the curbside light (no flash,brake,turn) which I am assuming is a ground wire problem.
Thanks!
nigeleccleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:09 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeleccleston View Post
I have a 1997 Scamp 13 standard and I am replacing the street side taillight assembly with a Bargman 30-92-108. It comes with only one socket - for an 1157 bulb.
The existing taillights are original from Scamp in 1997 and have a lower 1157 and an upper 1156. As far as I can tell, the 1156's do not come on for running, brake, turn or flashers, so maybe that answers my question. Are they back-up lights possibly ( I have a 4-pin connector)?

Background - I am replacing the assembly because the license plate holder had snapped off. Also, I recently lost the red lens while driving. I do have wiring issues, but only with the curbside light (no flash,brake,turn) which I am assuming is a ground wire problem.
Thanks!
Somewhere you have made this sound completed and it's not. The 1157 which will have 3 wires to the socket for stop/turning, and tail lamp, one will be the ground wire, the stop/turning are one and the tail lamp is the other. This is pretty much been standard for the last 75 years. The 1156 is either the backup lamp, or a second tail lamp depending how you lamp is wired, it will have two wires, one being the ground. If you want the license plate light to work it will be on the same wire as the tail lamp lights are, thus will come on when the tail lights are on. Not looking at the new light from the back side, it could be wired different, but I would think not. Most would invest in a 12v tester, cheap a Walmart and test the wiring at the trailer with the lights hooked up to the tow vehicle, this may also require the trailer being hitched as in some cases the ground is through the trailer hitch ball and hitch. You will probably never know if it work correctly with out the trailer and tow vehicle all being hookup up and remember the key must be on to check the turn signals and backup lights if any.

trainamn
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:27 AM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Yes, the 1156 would be used for back up if you had the required wiring. A 4 pin plug does not have the required wire for back up. A 4 pin give you gnd., running, brake and turn signals.
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote