12 v Battery Maintainer A Pulse Teck Product to consider - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #1

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
12 v Battery Maintainer A Pulse Teck Product to consider

In recent weeks there has been a number of debates here regarding the inadequacies of many of the reasonably price RV controllers in regards to adequately charging our trailers batteries or keeping them from frying up if plugged into power for extended times.

There is a battery maintainer product out there that some may already be aware of that has been rated as one of the top 50 products by Automotive Engineering Magazine, It a product that I have a few friends who use it and will say they are *really* pleased/surprised with how well it works. In their words a "must have" product.

Its made by Pulse Teck Power Corp and is called a PP-12-L PowerPulse 12-Volt Battery Maintenance System sells for about $45 but have seen them online for as low as $39.

The same company also makes a Maintenance Charger Desulfator product thats more expensive (abt $100) I am told will bring a *real* dead battery back to life and run for a number of more years as if it was new - dont hold be to that its again simple the experience of a friend with a sail boat and multiple high end cars that often sit for months at a time as well. That product is called an Pulse Teck XC100- P Xtreme Charger.

Its my understanding that the Pulse Teck products for battery maintenance have been used by the military for many years.

As I said no first hand experience with either product, although I am about to order the PP-12-L PowerPulse 12-Volt Battery Maintenance System from a local marine company. Just though some others may be interested in reading up on the product as I dont recall seeing it mentioned here before.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hmmmmm They seem to be doing about the same thing that the desulfating cycle does on most multi stage chargers, but I have a couple of concerns:

1. This is clearly stated in their literature:
"Accordingly, it should only be used on vehicles or equipment that is regularly used and frequently charged."

I don't think that describes most FGRV battery applications

2. It looks like it will draw 2 amps from the battery most of the time.

3. Claims of University testing and of military applications are made but not documented.

In short, it doesn't look like something you can leave on your battery for more than a few days of down time.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #3

Registry
Bob, you are correct but as I said the first item is a possible solution for those who are plugged in longer term and worried about frying their batteries. Obviously if you are going off the grid you would remove it, Although one party told me they put it on a car that wasnt driven often and they didnt have an issue with it even after it sat for a few months..

Re point #3 if you do a search on the company specifically that manufactures the product I believe you will find information that documents that claim. ;-)
Old 10-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #4

From the description it's not a battery charger, nor will it do anything to prevent battery overcharging or frying if the charging voltage isn't controlled. It provides some level of desulfating, again, about the same thing as a multi stage charger is designed to do.

As far as claims, they indicate that they make products for the military, but do not claim this is one of them.

Their user letters, mostly from vagly identified users, all talk about results, that if common, would make these mandatory in all first responder applications, but they apparently aren't.

And the Oakland University study only conforms what we already know, of you desulfate a battery it will charge faster, hold a better charge and last longer.

I'm not bashing the product, I just don't see anything in their applications that will be of use for 90% of FGRV peeps, as we do not meet the criteria of having batteries that are frequently charged.

BTW: That's about 1/3 the cost of a new converter with a smart charger built in.....

Old 10-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #5

Registry
Well as you know Bob there are folks here that believe that the average consumer RV grade smart charger/converter isnt all its cracked up to be, has a few short comings.

This little product whether you agree or not is believed by some folks that it deals with those short comings "for those WHO PLUG IN LONG TERM". I am also told that due to the fact it does use some of the battery power to do its thing is also why it will helps prevent the battery from simply boiling out which is what happens when RV's are plugged in for long periods of time & there is no draw on the battery. As I said I havent used it, simple going by what I have been told by those who have and have lots of experience and far more knowledge of how to protect far pricer toys than what I have.. whether it be a cars or boats.. obviously your experience may differ.

Again if you are concerned with the vague comments posted in user reviews if you do a full search for details on the Company specifically you will find there is nothing vague about the company itself.

You haven't btw commented on the full charger system in the second link.... any issues with it?
Old 10-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Well as you know Bob there are folks here that believe that the average consumer RV grade smart charger/converter isnt all its cracked up to be, has a few short comings.

Quote:
"for those WHO PLUG IN LONG TERM".
Knowing the quality of most consumer electronics, I don't leave much plugged in, energized, and unattended for long periods of time.

I'm not sure what this will do for your battery but at the frequency it operates at every dog in the neighborhood will know you're home. Raz
Old 10-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #7

I'd be the first one to agree that there may be better ways to take care of our batteries than what's available, but it's what we got and, for the most part, at least in those with multi stage charging systems, they can do a great job. And, if those that disagree could make a more viable suggestion, rather than just copmplaining and telling us how bad it is, that too would be very benificial to all.

It's like my Chevy Blazer TV, it works great for me. Would a more expensive Mercedes-Benz Diesel SUV vehicle do the job better? No doubt it would, but I don't see a need to bad mouth the real or imagined inadequacies of my TV of choice just because something better exisits. As I have been known to say; "It's good enough".

I didn't comment on the other device because it appears to do nothing more than our existing RV converters with multi stage chargers can do, and it isn't a converter in addition to being a charger, and for about the same price as a PD9000 series converter/smart charger.

I don't know if placing a 2 amp load (much the same as a light bulb) on a battery 24/7 will keep some of those older converter/chargers from frying or boiling a battery. But if it did, I would suggest a few $$ for a light bulb instead.

But, if someone is plugged in for "Long Term" what ever that means in terms days, weeks or months, do they even need a battery? And how many on this site meet that criteria.

I am often critical of many of these "Save the World" type gadgets only because so few of them really work or, if they do work, are not worth the cost.

FWIW: Although there are still nay sayers out there, my Hunter, with it's PD-4045 and a two year old Interstate group 27 battery, has been plugged in 24/7 since last February. It might be down 1 oz in electrolyte, and, as always, shows a full charge. Spending another $40 just to put a load on the battery doesn't make sense to me at all.....

In summary: IF this device does what is claimed, it could have some value to those that are primarily plugged in all the time and don't have a multi-stage charger on their battery. But I don't see that it is designed to provide any protection against overcharging or boiling of the battery.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #8

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
For the last 8 years I have had 7 Harbor Freight, $4.95 on sale, battery maintainers on the grand kids ATV.
They sit for months at a time. I the last 8 years I have only had to replace 2 batteries.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
2. It looks like it will draw 2 amps from the battery most of the time.
Bob I had a chance to ask about this today and was told that is incorrect. What their specs actually read is the is Desulfating Pulse -- Peak Amplitude - 2 AMPS" that is the "peak" which is not doing all the time. As mentioned someone left one on a car for 3 months without starting it or putting it on a charger and the car started just fine.

3. Claims of University testing and of military applications are made but not documented.

Was advised today that by going to the PulseTeck Corporations Website Page titled Military you will find the email contact info for a number of gentelmen who would be happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have in regards to what you refer to as "not docmented" use of their products by the Military as well as what testing has taken place, as well as supply you with their Military specific catalogue of products. Funny enough I found out today that not only is the product in use on aircraft carries it can also be found on our local BC Ferries fleet. Although they are not using the specific product I provided the link to as it is designed for use on only 1 to 3 12 volt batteries at a time - the technology & product functions are pretty well the same.

As I have said I haven't used it but will take the word for those who have used it on cars and boats that the product works very well at what it claims to do and they all feel it would do the same for my trailers battery.

Again its just one more product for people to take a look at as an option. For what ts worth I was told that if I was considering purchasing a battery tender such as the one Costco is currently selling forget it! This will do a much better job. And it wasnt one of their sales people who told me that ;-) Much better than that two very happy customers.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #10

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Where have you learn that it is used in aircraft? I never saw one in my life much less in a aircraft of any kind. Never seen a 12 volt battery in a aircraft either.

I do have a battery tender and have no problems with using one. I never used the one from Harbor Freight but if I ever buy another one it will be from HF. 5 bucks for a 100 dollar battery sounds better than what I am reading. But if one has the money to spend, I say do it.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
In summary: IF this device does what is claimed, it could have some value to those that are primarily plugged in all the time and don't have a multi-stage charger on their battery. But I don't see that it is designed to provide any protection against overcharging or boiling of the battery.

Heres the thing Bob, I may have misinterpreted its ability to protect against boiling the battery. As said I speculated on the fact that as it was using the battery power that it may help on that front as batteries as far as I am aware, more often than not get boiled out because they are not being used at all while they are on the converter/charger power. As this product does use some of the battery power then perhaps it may help of that front. Total Speculation on my part! Best to stick with what the manufacture claims it to be able to do and forget about my speculation on that point.

As far as a smart charger being able to do the same thing as it in maintaining the battery - thats where a few with far more knowledge on the product than I would disagree with you. The product can and is being used in conjunction with a number of newer rather expensive smart chargers and I am told by the users it does a *way* better job of maintaining the battery than the smart charger on its own. In part due to Desulfator function and how it does it. Again I am just taking the word of those who have actually used it, as well as a number of brands of so called smart charges over the years. I do agree though that one would see a pretty measurable improvement using it on a battery that does not have a smart charger on it already.

Who here plugs in long term? Well in my time here there are a lot of people who say they live in their trailers long term and are only plugged in or only camp at power spots. Many others say they leave their trailers plugged in all year round when the trailer is parked at home.

For me personally the product would have more appeal if it had a quick disconnect so I didnt have to remove it directly from the battery when the trailer wasnt going to be plugged into power & not needed.

Again Bob not saying you HAVE to buy it - just putting it out there for those who may be interested in doing a bit of actual research on it as an alternative product. Perhaps a few folks dont have the funds to buy a whole new smart charger at this time.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
Where have you learn that it is used in aircraft? I never saw one in my life much less in a aircraft of any kind. Never seen a 12 volt battery in a aircraft either.

Shawn I think you misread what I said. I said their products of the same design and technology are used on "aircraft Carriers" not aircrafts and I didnt say for charging 12 volt batteries.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #13

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
My bad. I did try to look them up on the net but nothing more than what they are selling. They seem to get good reviews. But as far as their claim as to 50 products or anything with them on the military side I found nothing but maybe I overlooked it.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
But as far as their claim as to 50 products or anything with them on the military side I found nothing but maybe I overlooked it.
Here is the Link on their website where you can request their Military catalog. If those products interest you.

Edit: You can also browse the Catalog on line at Pulsetech - Pulse Military Catalogue
Old 10-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #15

I'd stick with Post#2 Item #1 and follow the manufacturers recommendation.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
I'd stick with Post#2 Item #1 and follow the manufacturers recommendation.
LOL Bob sounds a lot like someone who uses there trailer a lot while plugged into power.

Let us know what you find out in regards to your sceptics on the company and its products.

Personally dont have the time or incline to dig deeper, but as a bit of a smart charger quru I thought perhaps you might be interested in how some of the other products out there do it differently.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #17

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
This and several other smart chargers can be found on batterystuff.com.

I have no financial interest in the web site nor any products found there. Furthermore, contrary to rather unsavory comments, until a few months ago i had never heard of progressive dynamics.

I do not advocate any specific product, though i have purchased one. I do advocate attempting to follow the battery manufacturer's charging instructions, which requires learning a very minimal amount specific to the batteries i buy.

And finally, if you already own and regularly use a smart solar charger, you probably have no need for anything more to correctly maintain your batteries. It pays to check however. You want as many of the following as you can get:

1) 14.8 v bulk charge
2) Charge current sense controlling when the charger switches charge modes.
3) Temperature compensated charge current. This is not an issue for low current chargers.
4) Voltage sensing at the battery controlling the charger output voltage
5) Charge voltage curves modified for wet cell, agm and gel batteries.

Just because a charger claims to be smart doesn't guarantee it provides all the above qualities. The manufacturers know that these things are important and tend to proclaim loudly those things that they do provide, making it pretty easy to discover those which they do not provide.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #18
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Closing this thread, as this discussion seems to have run its course (on this and other threads on the same topic).
Attached Images

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Closed Thread

Tags
battery