12 volt - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2002, 07:32 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
12 volt

I took Charles' advice and got a 12 volt Jump It. Is there any reason why I can't just hook the Jump It directly to the trailer battery so they are in sequence, instead of disconnecting the house battery and then hooking up the Jump It to the house wiring?

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 05:54 AM   #2

Hi Steve!

I am far from being an expert on batteries (or anything else, for that matter!) ... so please take that into account about everything I say ...

But the way I understand hooking two batteries "in sequence" is that the two batteries "equalize" to the weakest battery. Or maybe that's when you hook them in "parallel." Or both set-ups equalize!, I don't know!

At anyrate, here's what I did to make it easy to hook up the jump-it. I wired up a cigarette torpedo plug with a long length of red and black wiring. At the ends, I attached alligator clips.

Then it's just a simple matter of disconnecting the trailer house battery, clipping the respective positive/negative wires to the little circle jobbies at the ends of the trailer wiring, and placing the jump-it under the trailer on a piece of wood.

Sounds a lot harder than it actually is. And since I have multiple jump-its, switching out the first jump-it for the second is just a simple matter of pulling out the cigarette plug and sticking it in the new one.

The beauty of this is that you have, in reserve, your fully charged "house" (trailer) battery.

Another tip. Most campground hosts have electricity. If you ask permission (and make friends with them!), they'll usually let you plug in your Jump-it to recharge it.

Old 09-17-2002, 10:50 AM   #3

Jumpit

George,

Lori and I bought our non-Jumpit in Durango, CO. It has all the same ratings and warranty. I think Charles has a couple of different brands of 'Jumpits".

::smilies- :E :E
I modified your post to show you smilies can be inserted in the middle of the text. You can go back and edit it.

When you click on a smiley, the program pops it in at the end of the text that has been typed. You can modify that by using your computer to 'cut' the smiley code you see pop in and then 'pasting where you want it. If you think of it, click on the smiley at the point you want it and then continue typing the balance of your text.

I hope this helps.

Old 09-17-2002, 11:42 AM   #4

Jump-its

>>different brands

Michael's right. I have two different kinds. I purchased them at various times at Sam's ... and maybe one at Walmart. I'm guilty of using the term "jump it" as a generic term for them.

George, we can easily get three days of conservative battery useage with a "jump-it." When dry camping, we use gallon jugs of water to "flush" toilet, washing dishes, brushing teeth, etc, and a couple of small battery-operated neon lights and a "solar" candle for light at night ... saving the "jump it" power for important things like running the water pump for showers ... and a couple of furnace cycles when Pam's cold ... maybe a few minutes a day of fantastic vent fan.

On long trips, I carry three jump-its, so I can go nine days without drawing an amp out of the trailer battery.

>>longer cables.

I hear that. Removing the battery is a PIA. But with the alligator clips and long wire leads, all I have to do to disconnect the trailer "house" battery is to reach in and disconnect the battery, then snap the jump it leads on the trailer wiring, putting the jump-it on a board underneath the trailer.

But, George, you have a Honda generator ... which pretty much negates the need for using jump-its. :P You can fire that sucker up and recharge your battery as needed ... even run the electrical appliances, which I, of course, can't do using jump-its

Old 09-17-2002, 11:50 AM   #5

By the by

By the by, I checked out thoroughly using a Jump-it in lieu of a battery with the trailer's converter manufacturers.

I was afraid of frying the system ... but they said no problem.

As some of you know, in the winter, we remove the trailer "house" battery to store inside so it doesn't freeze. I use a double-cigarette-torpedo plug dealie I made up to run the heater and lights in the trailer when I go to check it in the storage yard.

I take the jump-it inside the trailer, plug one torpedo plug into the 12-volt plug on the jump-it and the other up into the 12-volt plug near the tv connections. The furnace and lights then have power.

Works like a charm.

Old 09-17-2002, 05:17 PM   #6

Generator

George,

I have a generator as you know, but always carry the “jumpit” just in case I can't use the generator. I need 12 volts at night for my equipment. The “jumpit” will run the equipment all night for two nights without a recharge.

:reye2

Old 09-26-2002, 08:19 PM   #7

Battery + Jump-it

Steve:

Not a good idea.

1. Two (or more) batteries wired in parallel (sequence) should be same size, age, and capacity.....not dissimilar such as a battery and a 'jump-it'.

2. If you want to add the jump-it in 'sequence' due to the battery being discharged, you'd be trying to use the jump-it as a battery charger (which it's not) and it's only got 17 amps (if fully charged) to try to replentish an 85 amp/hr battery.

Better to disconnect the battery and use the jump-it as a separate, temporary, power source.

Note: It's easy to install an (20amp) on/off switch for the battery. Then you could just flip the switch and plug in the jump-it.

Lotsa motorhomes a battery disconnect so you won't forget and leave something turned on during storage.

Old 09-26-2002, 08:34 PM   #8

Jump-It variations

My Boler's battery is loooooong gone (assuming it every had one that is). However, I've seen the Jump-It suggestion before and thought it would be a great way to add a 12V system to the camper. One box containing both battery and charging system. Not a bad deal really. It's on my list of projects to do during the winter. The plan is to house the Jump-It in the trailer (likely under the sink) and wire it into the trailer's running lights. Then all I'll need to do is flip on the parking lights while driving to charge up the system.

The ONLY things I plan on running off the battery are the two kitchen lights (probably will still mostly use our lantern) and a fan or two. I'm hoping that if that's all it's asked to do that it will sustain itself for several days between charges.

Adding the fans is another hoped-for winter project. I'm planning on simply picking up a couple of 14x14 vents with built-in 12V fans from JCWhitney and then install them over the bed and bunk.

Mike

Old 09-26-2002, 11:25 PM   #9

Battery Charger

Hey All, why not just hook up that vehicle with the big alternator and charge the battery in the Casita., so you run the vehicle for a 1/2 hour or so to charge up that 12 volter.
Works for me...
Charles

Old 09-27-2002, 05:36 AM   #10

Should work

Mike W>>I hoping

Mike ... We can get three days of conservation electrical use out of a jump it (as detailed above).

One of my jump-its (generic) can actually recharges via a cigarette torpedo plug ... while I have no experience (or talent), your plan to charge it via the trailer running lights sounds like a stroke of genius!

By the by, I just helped my son set up a "temporary" electrical system using a Jump-it in his new (old) sailboat ... to run some cabin lighting as well as night exterior running lights. He, of course, will remove the jump-it to recharge.

I think I've said it before, but most campground hosts (even in most national forest campgrounds) have electricity. You can usually sweet talk them into recharging a jump-it.

Or you can find one of these rich guys with a generator! They'll be happy to recharge it for you ... and also maybe even pop some popcorn!

Old 09-27-2002, 06:35 AM   #11

Charles---new rental rates

Since you didn't want to borrow our gen (because you didn't want Pam to know that you really liked the little Hondas), I've set up a new rental rate schedule for power only. This way you won't have to "borrow," OK?

1 bag of popcorn $1.00 or free if you share the popcorn. (Have you tried Orville's Kettlecorn? Mmm--good!) :sunny

1 blender of Margaritas $5.00 or free if you share the Margaritas. (No salt rim, please!):lol

Please note that because of the special Honda electronics, it makes better popcorn and margaritas than any other form of electricity.
:inbox :inbox

Old 09-27-2002, 06:40 AM   #12

Jump it

My 81' Burro never had a battery just 110v. I got a 12v 50A converter for free ( my favorite thing) and planned to add a battery next year. But now I am thinking a Jump it may be the answer.

Who's got the best deals on them?
Any particular specs to watch out for?

Can I get one free?

Old 09-27-2002, 08:03 AM   #13

Deal

>>new rates

George, you got a deal! Let's go camping together soon!

You bring the generator and I'll bring the m. mix and popcorn!:) I'd be willing to share the popcorn ... but it's hard to part with my margaritas! I just heard about the new OR flavor popcorn yesterday!

Pete>>best deal

Pete, I have three of them (for extended dry camping). I bought two of them at Sam's and one at Walmart. They aren't expensive (unless you get the kind with a built-in inverter ... which I wouldn't do ... makes it heavier, doesn't produce enough 110 power to really power anything).

Neat thing about having one ... is if you or someone nearby needs a jump, you can be a real shining knight by whipping out your jump-it (without risking your vehicle's electronics).

During the winter here, my wife carries one in her car. I carry two in the truck.

Charles II>>big alternator

That works when dry camping too Charlie!

Old 09-27-2002, 09:12 AM   #14

note from the webguy

:wave
This thread is Great. It is what this forum is all about.
Several Brands all sharing and enjoying each others insights.

Old 09-27-2002, 11:33 AM   #15

Charles Jumping people

>>Neat thing about having one ... is if you or someone nearby needs a jump,

I could ask some questions here,
Like does Pam know?
But I won't

Old 09-27-2002, 11:46 AM   #16

free stuf

Pete-

If you really want some free stuf, and all you have is lights to run, just watch for junk batteries at public dumps, transfer stations, behind service garages, etc., and take your voltmeter. Lots of batteries get discarded because the owner deemed them not suitable for HIS purposes, but they might have plenty of life for YOUR purposes.

The nice thing about free batteries like this is that you can abuse them without a guilty conscience; you know, like running down a starting batt, replacing fluid with tap water, etc.

Pete

Old 09-27-2002, 12:08 PM   #17

Charles jumping

Pete>>Does Pam know .... charles jumping people

No, but she knows I go around after dark each night and make sure all the rich people securely lock up those snazzy little Honda generators. :laugh :laugh

Old 09-27-2002, 12:42 PM   #18

free stuff

Pete,

I like it! I'm going "shopping" this weekend.
I will have to blame you though, when the wife asks why I have brought home all these batteries.......

Old 09-28-2002, 10:03 AM   #19

Jump it installation

The best deal I found on a Jump it was at Costco; $50 (with rebate) for a well built unit with light and 200 psi air compressor. I solved the installation problem by installing a quick disconnect battery terminal ($6.95 at NAPA) on the positive terminal of the house battery. When I want to use the Jump it I just remove the quick disconnect from the battery, put the positive clamp from the Jump it on the quick disconnect, put the negative clamp from the Jump it on the negative terminal of the house battery and it is complete. No switches, no plugs, no extra wires. The advice given here to not hook power supply units in sequence with the house battery was good. Thanks.

Old 09-29-2002, 05:55 AM   #20

Free Batteries

As I was driving around the back of various places looking for old batteries, the wife got suspicious and asked what I was doing.:o
I had to explain.....

She said why not just buy a new one? :omy

She just doesn't understand....:sad

Due to the EPA's dilligence in this area, a used battery is a rare find, all the more reason to continue the hunt.
:laugh