12 Volt TV Adaptor ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2018, 05:06 PM   #1

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
12 Volt TV Adaptor ?

Last spring, I bought what I thought was a LG brand 12 volt tv. Turned out to have a 110 plug and converter box that reduces it to 19 volts. There was not a 12 volt car type adaptor in the box so I just blew it off thinking I can pick one up. We have only stayed at parks with electricity and everything worked fine. Planning on doing some primitive camping this spring so I thought I would pick up an adaptor. Looking at the specs. on the converter, it says 19 volts and 1.2 amps. Does this mean that I can not run it off of a 12 volt adaptor? Hope this makes a little sense...
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:19 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
19 volts x 1.2 amps = 23 watts. A small inverter would work.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:43 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
There is always a way, even if its not ideal.

Boost converters...

I post these just as examples without doing any research on quality or the requirements for the TV, including voltage, amperage, and tolerances.

https://www.amazon.com/Step-up-Regul.../dp/B00S0UFR14

https://www.powerstream.com/dcdc-12V.htm
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:25 PM   #4

Name: Neto
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
ME, I would take it back for a refund.
Neto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:18 AM   #5

Name: Larry
Trailer: Trillium
Arizona
Power Supply?

Hello,

To solve your problem look for a 12VDC laptop power adapter
such as the PWR+ D4C or this one on Ebay.... 19.5 VDC out @ 4.6Amps.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PWR-CAR-CHA...001?rmvSB=true

The supply is rated for more amperage than you need but the over capacity
will keep the supply running cooler and lasting longer.

You will need to change the plug on the adapter to one that will fit the
TV you have....

BTW, I have noticed similar supplies for sale occasionally in local thrift
stores for a few dollars.

Good Luck,
Larry H
Attached Images

Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:47 AM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Isn’t the TV designed to run at higher than 12 volt? If you supply only 12 Volts it will not run properly, if at all.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:59 AM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Does the input on the back of the TV also state 19 volts input or 12 volts input? I would go by that rather than what the output on the converter says, since they sometimes are designed to provide "up to" 19 volts even if only 12 volts is required.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:02 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If you can't find a dedicated DC cord for that TV, why not use the AC cord you have with a small inverter ( like this ) which costs about $10?
Attached Thumbnails
75W inverter.jpg  
Old 03-01-2018, 11:37 AM   #9

Texas
Thanks to everyone. Lots of good answers. I had not thought of the computer power cord. Seems like that would work. The link David T. sent even looks like the plug end would fit the tv. The back of the tv says 19 volts and 1.2 amps. From what I am reading, it does not matter that the amps on the replacement cord is rated even higher, like the one in the link says 19 volts and 4.5 amps.

One suggestions by David B. is to use a small converter with the tv's cord. Does that mean it would plug into the 12 volt plug, change it to 110 and then back out again to the needed 19 volts. Sounds like it would work but the maybe the computer one would be a better work around. Thanks again to everyone for their input. We have a MicroCenter store and a Frys store near here and I will go over and see what I can come up with.

Neto, I have had it for a year and don't have paper work, etc. plus they say returns can be made up to 90 days.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:39 AM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
Looking at the specs. on the converter, it says 19 volts and 1.2 amps. Does this mean that I can not run it off of a 12 volt adaptor? Hope this makes a little sense...
Here's another source. Allied has a pretty extensive collection of DC to DC power supplies. It looks like this one would readily handle the current and appears to be intended for use where your input side voltage from the trailer or vehicle varies.

89W Portable Car Power Adapter; 11 - 16Vdc Input; 19Vdc Output; 4.7A

https://www.alliedelec.com/rs-pro-417916/70638155/

As published, this should handle everything from the maximum 14.8 voltage output of a three-stage charger all the way down to a battery that has been run down to the minimum voltage. It's also got a variety of Coaxial Plug adapters which would probably include one matching your TV and a USB output.

At 87% published efficiency, I expect this would be more efficient than running an inverter from 12VDC up to 120V and then using the TV's supplied adapter to knock it back down to 19VDC.

The drawback is that it would run $58.11 with economy shipping from Allied, or even $79.12 with shipping from Amazon, with sales tax additional. A small 12VDC to 120VAC inverter would run about half of that price.

So if you can handle doubling the inefficiency, which equates to additional power usage and the attendant battery rundown, go with a small 12VDC to 120VAC. The other option is to spend more and enjoy lower power usage and less battery rundown.

On edit: Whoa; I am late posting here! The eBay unit looks like a much better deal if it has the same capability. Frys might be able to help you too.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:43 AM   #11

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
Thanks to everyone. Lots of good answers. I had not thought of the computer power cord. Seems like that would work. The link David T. sent even looks like the plug end would fit the tv. The back of the tv says 19 volts and 1.2 amps. From what I am reading, it does not matter that the amps on the replacement cord is rated even higher, like the one in the link says 19 volts and 4.5 amps.

One suggestions by David B. is to use a small converter with the tv's cord. Does that mean it would plug into the 12 volt plug, change it to 110 and then back out again to the needed 19 volts. Sounds like it would work but the maybe the computer one would be a better work around. Thanks again to everyone for their input. We have a MicroCenter store and a Frys store near here and I will go over and see what I can come up with.

Neto, I have had it for a year and don't have paper work, etc. plus they say returns can be made up to 90 days.
I use a small inverter like what Glenn Baglo shows to charge my camera batteries when driving. They work wonderfully to change 12V to 110V. We've used it for many things that don't draw a lot of power. It would be your easiest and cheapest fix. Just remember using a TV on 12V will run down your battery if you are dry camping. If you have solar you are OK.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:47 AM   #12

Texas
Civilguy - I am beginning to think it may be bette to just buy another true 12 volt tv and just give this one to the grandkids. For years, we used a small color Sony 12 volt tv and it worked great. Still have it but since the powers that be changed the signal, I would have a converter box and would be back to having to have 110/120 to run the box. I will also take a look at Allied. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:55 AM   #13

Texas
Thanks Jann. Not to concerned about running the battery down because I have 2 Honda generators. I just want to be able to watch tv at night without having to run the gens. We have stayed in campgrounds that would not let you run the gen. after 6:00 pm. At the time, we only had the tv that came mounted in the trailer which was only a 110/120. Makes for long evenings with no tv. But lots of time, we are to far away from stations to pick anything up anyway.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:04 PM   #14

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
TV Power

If it were mine and I had a way to connect the TV to 12V, I would. Most electronics these days will operate on a wide range of voltages without problems. 12V will not over power it. If it comes on and works on 12V I would use it that way, I do not see any problem doing this.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:20 PM   #15

If you are going to look for a 12V cord for the TV, make sure it matches the set as to positive or negative polarity. I bought a set of adapters ( about a dozen in the set ) and connected the wrong plug end, which instantly fried the radio I was trying to power.

See this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarity_symbols
Old 03-01-2018, 01:27 PM   #16

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I bought a set of adapters ( about a dozen in the set ) and connected the wrong plug end, which instantly fried the radio I was trying to power.
I hate when that happens.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I hate when that happens.
Yup. It was an expensive Grundig AM/FM, Shortwave portable.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:25 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
12V may not work to operate the television. We had a little 12VDC Coby DVD player and radio in our teardrop that actually required a power supply in order to regulate the 12VDC from the trailer's 12 volt system to a closer tolerance that would satisfy the Coby.

Given the television's low power requirement, your battery capacity (Casita = ~95AH battery), and having a generator available in the morning to recover your battery, I think Glenn's approach of using an inexpensive 12VDC to 120VAC inverter would be the most suitable.

They are inexpensive and readily available. The energy penalty involved in boosting and then dropping voltage through two devices shouldn't be a problem for the described use of a few hours viewing in the evenings. This approach also eliminates the uncertainties of adaptors and polarities.

This one looks nice; BESTEK 300W Power Inverter DC 12V to 110V AC Car Inverter with 4.2A Dual USB Car Adapter

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-300W-P...Power+Inverter

As Larry mentioned, having a little extra capacity helps to run cooler and to have a more robust device. It's also there for you when you need to operate something that requires a little more power one day. You even get two USB charging ports as an extra bonus with this one.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:17 PM   #19

Name: Larry
Trailer: Trillium
Arizona
????

JRon,

It does not make much sense that a TV manufacturer would
include a 19V DC supply if the TV would work properly
on 12v DC?

Who knows tho.... My dell laptop uses a 19 VDC supply but
the battery is 11.1 V? The techs at Dell tell me that
the laptop will run OK at 10 VDC but automatic screen
dimming will kick in to save power on battery. A few
keystrokes will turn the brightness back to normal at this
lower voltage.

It would be great if 'dmad1' included the make and model of the
TV in question...

Larry H
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C Hanson View Post
It would be great if 'dmad1' included the make and model of the
TV in question...

Larry H
Says make is LG. No model number or size.