12v charging, powering? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2015, 03:39 PM   #41

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Wow, I'm deciding those 12v sockets are like gold. I have some ordered, and will put in at least two.

We also have a solar panel (35w) which I haven't got hooked up yet. I think the only battery drain I would have would be (like you) the lights in evening and charging. I would only need about 4 days of battery life, so maybe with the solar panel I'll have enough ooomph
Old 08-29-2015, 09:28 AM   #42

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Ok. Ours is a Die Hard 425 watt power inverter. Reading through the manual, it says it can charge 60 watts for 3-5 hours before draining the battery. Not sure what the Nook tablets charge at, but we got significantly more hours than that.
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:58 AM   #43

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Wow, I'm deciding those 12v sockets are like gold. I have some ordered, and will put in at least two.

We also have a solar panel (35w) which I haven't got hooked up yet. I think the only battery drain I would have would be (like you) the lights in evening and charging. I would only need about 4 days of battery life, so maybe with the solar panel I'll have enough ooomph
If you have a water pump it will also use 12V power. As will a furnace if you need to warm up on a cold night. If the fridge in your trailer has any digital controls it will also use some 12v power even when running on propane.

To help you understand the answers given to some of the questions you have asked regarding power on this thread there is a site called The 12V Side of Life that you may find helpful.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:53 AM   #44

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
Ok. Ours is a Die Hard 425 watt power inverter. Reading through the manual, it says it can charge 60 watts for 3-5 hours before draining the battery. Not sure what the Nook tablets charge at, but we got significantly more hours than that.
Emily, that's good to know. Thank you for looking into it! The inverters I've been looking at are around 1000 watts... so maybe they would charge faster...

I still don't have the solar panel quite arranged, but hope we can do that this week. If we don't manage to get an inverter sorted, I guess we could always charge up in the car... maybe with solar hooked up to that battery? The car only charges with the key on, and I've been nervous in the past about draining the battery out in the boonies.

This will be my first trip in the Lil'Bigfoot, and in spite of all efforts, I'm sure we'll find all kinds of things that need to be changed or fixed. But that's what the shakedown cruise is for, right?
Old 08-29-2015, 12:25 PM   #45

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
USB based charging rates are usually limited by the devices circuits to about 2.1 amps (Check on the charger, it's always there) 2.1amps x 5 volts = 10.5 watts, a minimal amount for almost any inverter. A larger inverter will have no effect on how fast these devices charge. Larger devices, such as computers, will draw more, again, check the value on the devices charger for maximum wattage requirement.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:50 PM   #46

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
If you just need to charge something via USB, it is much simpler and cheaper to install a cigarette plug into the 12V system. Then you use the same USB adapter as in the tug.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote