15 amp plugged into 30 or 50 amp?????? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #15
Trailer: 2007 Casita
Originally Posted by kitti in texas View Post
When I say ac I mean air conditioner. We have a 5000 btu in the trailer. Will that make a difference on what kind of adapter I need?

Kitti, To my knowledge there isn't a Air conditioner that will run off 15 amp! If you have found one that will, I really suggest upgrading your trailer wiring to 30 amp asap......... If you desire to run anything other than a airconditioner. Fridge, lights, etc.....................

Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #16
Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Thats why I upgraded to 30 amp service air conditioning requires a minimum 20 amp breaker to avoid other problems.

Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:48 AM   #17
Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Dometic makes a 9000 btu A/C that draws about 8amps after startup but requires 12awg line and 20 amp breaker protection by code. Most 13,500s draw at least 12 amps operating and a surge at compresser start which doesn't leave much room for a converter or other loads. Whether your A/C unit is pre-existing or you are installing, you should upgrade your electrical service to 30 ampere to be safe and legal.

rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote