1993 Antenna - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2017, 10:52 AM   #1

Name: Ginny
Trailer: '09 Scamp 13' w/ Bath
Oklahoma
1993 Antenna

This may be a stupid question, but how to I go about figuring out what brand/model/specs antenna I have on my 1993 Scamp? It is whatever Scamp would have installed at the time. I am assuming it is an analog, not digital... but, it is just old enough that I would wonder if it is, in fact, digital.

Thanks!
-Ginny
fieldphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:00 AM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
There is no difference between analog and digital TV antennas. Antenna catches radio waves. It's up to TV to understand which information is carried by that waves.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:00 AM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Digital Antenna: It should pickup the digital signal. Take a TV out there, connect it and set it to scan and see what happens.

They advertise Digital antennas to get you to buy a new one when the old ones already work.

Over-the-Air Antennas - Camping World
TV Antennas - Indoor - Solid Signal
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:04 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The only difference between HD digital and analogue antenna is the label on the box that says HD Digital and the price increase.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:15 AM   #5

The New TVs need to SCAN each time you arrive to a new location. You can not just turn it on and expect to see a signal. Should you change your antenna direction, you will need to do a new SCAN to get the channels. You can purchase a KING antenna signal finder that will tell you when you have your antenna aimed in the best position then you go ahead and do a SCAN.
King Controls SureLock Digital TV Antenna Signal Finder - $24.12

Adventure: I have purchased several items from this seller.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:20 AM   #6

Oklahoma
100th Post... woohoo!!

Ok, so follow-up question.

Assuming old antenna is good (didnt really pick much up on new TV, but it did before... so I figure in my yard under a tree isnt really conducive for good signal)...

I had one coaxial cable coming in from the roof into the upper cabinet (over sink/stove). I had another coaxial coming in from the side of the camper as a 'cable in' should the campground offer such a service.
Long story short, I have put a TV elsewhere, and have removed both of these connections from the side of the cabinets, and would instead like to run the upper coaxial, down to below the sink where the 2nd coaxial is. Connect them with a RF combiner (though I am under the impression that a combiner will actually mix signals, so I may actually need an RF switch). Then run only ONE cable line over to the new TV, so that I dont have to plug and unplug.

1. Is this a reasonably decent idea?
2. Am I correct in needing an RF switch, not just a combiner?
3. There was an amplifier on the line- does this work, is it necessary with digital input, and if I should still use it is there a newer, better technology available?
4. If I should use the amplifier, where on the line should it go? Before or after they are combined into one line?

Thanks!!
Old 06-05-2017, 11:30 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldphoto View Post
This may be a stupid question, but how to I go about figuring out what brand/model/specs antenna I have on my 1993 Scamp? It is whatever Scamp would have installed at the time. I am assuming it is an analog, not digital... but, it is just old enough that I would wonder if it is, in fact, digital.

Thanks!
-Ginny

There is no difference in Analog and Digital antennas. It's all RF.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:31 AM   #8

Oklahoma
Darwin,
I don't believe I can move or change the direction of my antenna that came with the Scamp.... but I am familiar with re-scanning each time I set up- that is not a problem.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:51 PM   #9

Just use a barrell connector to conect the 2 coax wires to make one long coax wire.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:11 PM   #10

Oklahoma
I understand how to connect coax to coax, but what I am trying to do is connect 2 coax in to 1 coax out.
I think I will use this:
Coaxial A/B Switch

So the further question becomes, should I use an amplifier on the line, and if so, does it go above the splitter (only on the antenna line) or below the splitter (will work for coax and cable)?? Can anyone recommend an in-line coaxial amplifier?
Old 06-05-2017, 01:47 PM   #11

No problem with the A/B switch. Do you have one?
Old 06-05-2017, 02:19 PM   #12

Oklahoma
Just ordered it on amazon... hopefully will have it in a few days!

I think I will skip the amplifier for now- from what I read (and I know its dangerous!) the amplifier doesnt really boost a weak signal incoming (makes sense) it really only helps with long connection lines- amplifying the existing signal as it goes. In a 13' scamp, I cant imagine the lines are that long lol. We are going to use these so infrequently (usually just use DVD's or stream netflix) that I really am not too worried about it.

If anyone has any additional thoughts, of course I am open.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:21 PM   #13
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
The New TVs need to SCAN each time you arrive to a new location. You can not just turn it on and expect to see a signal. Should you change your antenna direction, you will need to do a new SCAN to get the channels. You can purchase a KING antenna signal finder that will tell you when you have your antenna aimed in the best position then you go ahead and do a SCAN.
King Controls SureLock Digital TV Antenna Signal Finder - $24.12

Adventure: I have purchased several items from this seller.
Or you could use a free phone app called Smartenna ( at least I think it was free).
I have used this for the last couple of years. Gives channels, direction of transmitters, and signal strength. If you know where north is you will be able to decipher the direction you should point the antenna.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:47 PM   #14

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldphoto View Post
Just ordered it on amazon... hopefully will have it in a few days!

I think I will skip the amplifier for now- from what I read (and I know its dangerous!) the amplifier doesnt really boost a weak signal incoming (makes sense) it really only helps with long connection lines- amplifying the existing signal as it goes. In a 13' scamp, I cant imagine the lines are that long lol. We are going to use these so infrequently (usually just use DVD's or stream netflix) that I really am not too worried about it.

If anyone has any additional thoughts, of course I am open.
The amplifier will indeed help boost a signal and I know this because I have experimented with that situation. I use them even on short lines and see a significant difference in strength of signal when it is turned on.

When HD broadcasting began I had fun making my own portable Fractal antenna for receiving that signal. There are a lot of plans online for them. Not difficult to do but you will need a few connector fittings. I use them along with a USB Tuner device for watching TV on my laptop. I likely someday will get a tuner for my small android tablets. It would be handy when stuck waiting on appointments or things like having a tire fixed, oil changes, etc.

Of course if you are camping out in the country side a long distance away from the TV towers you will need to plan on using long range antennas, signal boosters and some reference material as to where the TV towers in the area are located.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:28 AM   #15

Oklahoma
Thanks all for the replies!
I will post pictures, but this is what I ended up doing...

1. antenna line from top cabinet, thru RF booster, down to below sink
2. cable line in from below sink
3. both meet at A/B switch, which will be mounted under sink area where I can switch back and forth
4. single line leaves A/B switch, travels thru bench and up behind ratfur- connects to TV mounted below the over dinette cabinet.

The only remaining question/issue is- I have a boomerang antenna on the top that came with my Scamp- it does not seem to be moveable/rotateable... does that sound correct?

Thanks!