2 trailer power cord questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2016, 07:15 PM   #1

Name: denny
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16 layout 3
Michigan
Question 2 trailer power cord questions

Scamp came with 25 foot cord. Is that enough typically? If I add a 25 foot 30 amp extension cord, which I would think you may need occasionally, what about the connection where they plug into each other in the rain? Lastly, has anyone ever needed more than 50 foot to reach the electric box?
denny w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by denny w View Post
Scamp came with 25 foot cord. Is that enough typically? If I add a 25 foot 30 amp extension cord, which I would think you may need occasionally, what about the connection where they plug into each other in the rain? Lastly, has anyone ever needed more than 50 foot to reach the electric box?
In almost every case the 25ft cord is adequate. Your idea of carrying an extra 30A cord is a good one.
They make a solid connection with no real concern, but you could always put a plastic bag over the connection and secure it with duct tape.
I would avoid outright mud puddles where ever possible.
I have an extra 30A cord but seldom carry it. We do have a 12G regular extension cord and both adapters which we use when needed.
Be sure and get these adapters, they are cheap and you will need them at some point...

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:45 PM   #3

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
We have needed another cord many times. When we find we need it, however, we usually only need some. That means that they are connected and put under the trailer at the connection point.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:52 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We have an old plastic milk crate in which we haul wooden pads for our stabilizers and front trailer jack . When camping and the pads are being used , we turn the milk crate upside down and put the 30 amp cord connection on top of the plastic milk crate . It keeps the connection out of the dirt and water .
We have both a 25 ft. 12/3 and a 10/3 extension cord along with a 15 to 30 and a 50 to 30 amp adaptor.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:02 PM   #5

Name: denny
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16 layout 3
Michigan
How can you put the connection under the trailer since the reason for the extension cord is because the first cord will not reach the box? If for example it is 35 feet to the box and you have two 25 foot cords the connection can not be under the trailer.
denny w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:27 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Ocean City, NJ
I've been in two campsites where I needed almost 75 feet to reach both water and electricity.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie, Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow
librarianocnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:48 PM   #7

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by denny w View Post
How can you put the connection under the trailer since the reason for the extension cord is because the first cord will not reach the box? If for example it is 35 feet to the box and you have two 25 foot cords the connection can not be under the trailer.
You could only rarely be 35' away out the side or back, but if we ever have been, never had a problem with it. One case is that you may have the box on the other side of the trailer from the cord, so you can put the connection underneath. Or you may have the box forward so that there is not enough length back to the permanent cord, then the connection can go underneath in that case also.

I guess we needed to have the connection out back or to the side at some time and rain was not a problem. You can look at how tightly connected the cords seem to be. Ours seem to be so tight such that it does not appear that water can get in. If it looks as if it will on yours, you can always use a bag. Since you have not seen the connection point yet, it may not be the problem you think. There is a lot of surface connection there.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:41 AM   #8

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I carry a little less than 50 feet of cord in the trailer (the Casita has about 20' of cord outside the trailer and I add one 25' extension) and usually, if I remember, toss in another 25’ cord. I have used it (the second extension) about once every other year or so. I use more than 25' of cord once or twice each season so I have the on-board extension connection outside the trailer frequently.

I don’t carry a normal extension cord because we’re talking voltage loss due to length and I want the 10 gauge wire they use in the RV 3 blade extension cords. Voltage loss is wearing on A/C compressors and I do use the A/C whenever I think I’d like it.

I used to just put a branch or stone under the cord joint but I rarely bother now. Electricity will take the least resistive path to ground which would be the ground wire in the cord. Worst case would be, I suppose, the wire shorts to the puddle but I don’t see it getting all the way to wherever I’m standing.

I wouldn't, however, immerse the cord joint in a filled kiddy pool and step in.

I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:13 AM   #9

Name: Brent
Trailer: Casita
California
Quartzite

What dates and where is the quartzite gatherer ing? I want to join you there
Brentsdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:15 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentsdeal View Post
What dates and where is the quartzite gatherer ing? I want to join you there
Check here. And here.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:02 PM   #11

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
I carry two cords. One 25 and one 60 feet. Both are lighter weight 12 gauge. We seldom plug in at all with solar, but if so the 25 is nearly always adequate. I think we used the 60 one time in the past two years and could have chosen a different site had I not had the longer cord or used propane instead of our little electric heater. We rarely carry a window AC and its rated at 5 amps, so the 12 gauge is fully adequate. On the other hand if you carry a microwave, coffeepot, hair dryer you may need the heavier 10 gauge, 30 amp cord.

I agree with Floyd in that if you avoid standing water a bit of rain will not be a problem with cord connections.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:05 PM   #12

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]
I wouldn't, however, immerse the cord joint in a filled kiddy pool and step in.

Especially if the salt content of the pool has increased with frequent yellow additions from the kids.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:36 PM   #13

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13(sold!) & TDI tugboat
Ohio
We've never needed more than the 25' cord and a 25' water hose at a regular campsite. If I did, I'd reposition the trailer or get a different site.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:07 PM   #14

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
We have not yet needed more than the Scamp's on-board cord in any of the State campgrounds (FL, GA, AL) we have stayed in to date. Still, I carry an extra 25 foot 10 GA 30 amp RV extension cord just because I have it. I bought three of these extension cords and a 30/20 amp adaptor at an abandoned storage sale several years back for $20.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:27 PM   #15

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Would I ever need an adapter to go from a 50 amp box to a 30 amp cord? Is there ever an instance where we would have a site with only 50 amp on the post?
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:36 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by herons View Post
Would I ever need an adapter to go from a 50 amp box to a 30 amp cord? Is there ever an instance where we would have a site with only 50 amp on the post?
We have run into this situation only 2 times and both times the campgrounds had the 50 to 30 amp adaptors for rent. That being said we do own a 50 to 30 amp adaptor.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:57 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
In addition to the rare instances where there was only a 50 amp connection (no 30 amp) there has also been a few times the 30 amp connector was very worn & the 50 amp in good shape. Seems there are more 30 amp rigs in some parks than 50 amp ones...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote