2002 13' Scamp Centurion 3000 toast/replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2017, 03:47 PM   #1

Name: Jeffrey
Trailer: Interested
Washington
2002 13' Scamp Centurion 3000 toast/replacement

An oldy but not-so goody. Manufacture date, 2001. Note under plastic front plate said the warranty on the converter is voided if removed. Never mind. Worked well while plugged in one night this week. The very next night, not so good. Smelled something electrical wafting from under the seat, turned on 12V light, it started to go dim and bright so I turned off the main 12V breaker. 120 light over sink worked fine. Same with outlets. But since the incident, I can't get 12V to work at all, alone or plugged in. New Optima battery checks out (good). But no charge to battery like before when plugged in (bad). Replaced all the fuses, circuit breaker, inline fuses and so on. Still no 12V. Again, all worked fine the night before. 120 still functions normally. Disconnected the battery and there it sits.

I assume the board is toast (the electrical smell). Any 30AMP converter/charger replacement suggestions that fit into the old 11 1/2 X 7 hole where the Centurion has died? Progressive Dynamics looks like the favorite from other posts. Might add a solar panel later. Any favorites out there? Guess it's time to modernize. Thanks. Jeff
jefflarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Why not two independent systems, 110 and 12v.
Spend the convertor money on a solar system and forget the convertor????
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:51 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Solar doesn't work at night.
You need a battery and a charging method.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:12 PM   #4

Really???
I didn't know that.
I guess that's exactly why you need a battery for your solar panel.
Over the last 15 years I have rebuilt and refurbished at least 15 Egg's.
Lil Bigfoots, Bigfoots, Burro's, Casita's and Scamps.
Most all of them I added adequate Solar and a BATTERY to supply the electrical needs at night.

I have never missed the convertor.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:36 PM   #5

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Why discharge battery to power 12v stuff like water pump, lights, fan etc when you connected to shore power?
Old 05-01-2017, 07:42 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Why discharge battery to power 12v stuff like water pump, lights, fan etc when you connected to shore power?
Don't forget the furnace fan, which is one of the biggest draws, if you camp in the shoulder seasons.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:44 PM   #7

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Most likely you don't need furnace when connected to shore power. Electric heater will do the work. That's why I did not note furnace in my post.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Don't forget the furnace fan, which is one of the biggest draws, if you camp in the shoulder seasons.
The last time I went winter camping was in my lightweight slide in pop up camper last November. It was at the 8500 ft. elevation in the Sierra Nevada's about 20 miles from my home.
My 2 gallon bucket was frozen solid the next morning
My group 29 battery and furnace kept me comfortable all night.
My camper has a 70 Watt panel mounted flat on the roof as does my trailer.
I have never lacked for power. Even when my grand kids were little and watched DVDs all night.
A water pump, furnace, LED lights, built in AM/FM radio, 12v TV/DVD combo and Fantastic fan, all used when desired have never ran my battery down and it was usually topped off by noon the next day.

I have nothing against convertors but for me they're a waste of space, weight and money as I boondock.
If I'm on a long trip I do stop in a campground with a shower every few days if I don't camp near a lake or river.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:23 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
We have 150 watt solar panel to keep the battery topped off, and a battery charger connected to a generator if needed for consecutive long rainy days. Our 12 volt only refrigerator is the biggest draw, followed by CPAP maching, water pump or furnace, then DVD/TV/XM radio.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:25 PM   #10

Name: Jeffrey
Trailer: Interested
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Perry View Post
Really???
I didn't know that.
I guess that's exactly why you need a battery for your solar panel.
Over the last 15 years I have rebuilt and refurbished at least 15 Egg's.
Lil Bigfoots, Bigfoots, Burro's, Casita's and Scamps.
Most all of them I added adequate Solar and a BATTERY to supply the electrical needs at night.

I have never missed the convertor.
Thanks for the input. I like solar a lot and I like your separate systems idea. But I have to satisfy two different camping styles in a 13' package so the converter stays. Might take a swipe at the converter replacement even with arthritic hands. Already stepped up to an AGM Optima battery, tweaking lights, changing out water heater and fan-tastic fan plus other odds and ends. How did you mount a solar 70 flat on the roof of your Scamp? Fun project. Not much sun in Seattle these days. Ugh.
jefflarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
We have 150 watt solar panel to keep the battery topped off, and a battery charger connected to a generator if needed for consecutive long rainy days. Our 12 volt only refrigerator is the biggest draw, followed by CPAP maching, water pump or furnace, then DVD/TV/XM radio.
Dave & Paula
When I first went solar I used to lug my Honda 2000i when I went camping when.
I finally traded it for a 1000 watt Honda and some cash in case the power went out in the winter and I couldn't run my Pellet Stove.
And I don't have a CPAP machine to worry about keeping running.
Looks like you have the perfect set up for your needs.
I live in the Southern Sierra's so consecutive rainy days have not been a problem except for this year when our lake finally almost overfilled and our long drought is finally over..

Happy camping,
John
Old 05-01-2017, 09:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflarsen View Post
Thanks for the input. I like solar a lot and I like your separate systems idea. But I have to satisfy two different camping styles in a 13' package so the converter stays. Might take a swipe at the converter replacement even with arthritic hands. Already stepped up to an AGM Optima battery, tweaking lights, changing out water heater and fan-tastic fan plus other odds and ends. How did you mount a solar 70 flat on the roof of your Scamp? Fun project. Not much sun in Seattle these days. Ugh.
I made my mounting brackets out of 2"x3/16 aluminum angle iron.
I cut 5 inch long pieces of the angle iron, bolted it to the panel side frames with enough space for air circulation and the used 3M VHS tape to mount it to the fiberglass.
My son still has the trailer I installed a solar system on for a gift 9 years ago and the 3M VHS tape is still as strong as the day I installed it.
John

Tags
scamp