2d battery or 2d panel? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-01-2015, 06:54 AM   #15
Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
2d battery or 2d panel?

Summer vs winter makes a huge difference.

Denny Wolfe

MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:44 AM   #16
Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
The rule of thumb is one watt of Solar for every AH of battery capacity. After months of study I found the number to be 1.5 Watts of solar (or more) for every AH in cloudy areas.

My goal was to recover a full charge on a bright overcast day. I know get 1-2 Amp of charge-- not much, but something, on dark heavy rain days. In this case it doesn't matter where your panels are pointing.

My point being that while there is a rule of thumb, someone full
Timing in a camper will always appreciate extra charging capabilities. Extra panels don't hurt.

Finally while I have a mix of flexible panels and rigid. The rigid are slightly more efficient charging, and provide shade for my camper, at the expense of increases wind drag while moving.

One 100 watt panel should provide for your Engel fried/ freezer and another for the house loads with the surplus helping with the fridge. 200 Watts of panels and 200 AH @ 12V for the batteries. Add an extra solar panel in a cloudy area. Leave room to expand as power is addictive and will prolong your battery life.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:57 AM   #17
Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
The rule of thumb is one watt of Solar for every AH of battery capacity. After months of study I found the number to be 1.5 Watts of solar (or more) for every AH in cloudy areas.
That fits well with what I surmised last year when studying this issue. I finally came up with the "double everything" rule of thumb. It starts with the batteries. Since you don't want to go below 50% charge, you need twice the battery capacity right off. Cloudy days or poor panel orientation, you might need twice the panels calculated. And so forth. In any event you pays your money and takes your chances. Luckily most of us donít start out camping weeks on end and depending on a system right off. Most can ease into things with a possibly too small setup and still get by for a few days until they learn their actual usage and needs.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:21 AM   #18
Commercial Member
Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita 17 LD
Of course it depends on where you plan to camp and the weather and your energy needs. With conservative use you should be able to get by with 100 watt solar panel and 1 - 12 volt battery. If you depend on your battery for your electricity (boon docking for more than a couple of days) I recommend additional battery/s. If you go with a permanent panel installation I recommend additional panels because they will not always be in an optimal position to catch the sun. I have set mine up for any conditions. 2 - 6 volt golf cart batteries with 3 - 100 watt panels and 2 - 50 watt panels fixed and oriented in different directions to be able to collect some energy no matter how or where I park. So far I have had enough electricity to meet my not so conservative consumption needs.

Visit Beetlefreak.com to see our complete line of Casita latches and other interesting items.
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote