Old 03-10-2018, 06:16 PM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, 2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
madjack,

I think you are confusing a standard 3-Prong RV power pedestal plug, which is not a twist-lock type, but merely a 30 Amp 125 Volt straight-push plug. It's apples and oranges. And incidentally, they are not solely for RV use. Any appliance that uses a standard 30 Amp 125 Volt plug will use that same plug as well in the standard "push in" plug.
no, the trailer pedestal plug is a "TT-30" which uis NOT the same as the standard 30A 125V outlet, a NEMA 5-30, see them both on this chart here...

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:37 PM   #16

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
Thanks all for your help. I went back to the hardware store today and returned the last 30a/250v. twist lock plug and exchanged it for the same in 125v. These plugs com in plastag bags and are stored in bins on the shelf. When I went through the bin marked 30a/125v, I found two other 250v versions in the tub. I think that I picked the one up yesterday, I got it from the right bin but I got one of the 250's. Lesson for me......ALWAYS read the package! Whether this is RV only, NEMA or whatever, this plug fits the fixture on my trailer and locks when you give it a twist. That's good'nuff for me.

My cord is all set up. I have power to the breaker panel. Now I have to finish the rest of the wiring. 30a is way overkill given that I plan to run the trailer solely on 12v most of the time. I was really in it for having the twist lock plug and play on the side of my trailer.

Mike

Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:08 PM   #17

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
madjack,

I think you are confusing a standard 3-Prong RV power pedestal plug, which is not a twist-lock type, but merely a 30 Amp 125 Volt straight-push plug. It's apples and oranges. And incidentally, they are not solely for RV use. Any appliance that uses a standard 30 Amp 125 Volt plug will use that same plug as well in the standard "push in" plug.
....that is exactly what I was talking about, the standard RV pedestal type plug...I thought the OP a was trying to mate a tt30r with an uncompatible hook up by filing a leg down on the twist lock...that would not be safe...while I do realize other uses for them, RV's account for about a kazillion per cent of them..........
madjack
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:49 PM   #18

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
Whoever is right or wrong aside, I have solved my dilemma and can tell you that the common hardware store, 30 amp/ 125v. female twist lock connector will fit this receiver fixture as designed. The one pictured in Casita Greg's original posting and mine are identical. Since the fixture is actually designed for marine use, it has additional feature that consists of threads on the outer side of the fixture. If you buy the proper cord designed for the fixture, after you twist lock the plug itself, there is a thread on cap located on the cord that screws over the entire plug in connection. Because it also has an O ring seal, it makes a very water resistant connection as well as a redundant locking mechanism. It is about the most bulletproof connection as you will find. (Think million dollar yachts tired up at a pier) If you buy your parts together on an online discounters like Amazon, You can get all of the water tight connection parts as well as 25ft. of 30 amp capable cord for about the same price that I paid buying parts piecemeal locally and I didn't get the cord or the extra locking mechanism.

Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote