30 amp votage regulator or surge proctector recommendation, either or both needed??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2017, 08:15 AM   #1

Name: Richard
Trailer: 2008 17' Casita
Florida
30 amp votage regulator or surge proctector recommendation, either or both needed???

Starting out in a few months after my wife retires. I have read horror stories about power surges and power drops. I would appreciate some recommendations on certain protectors and or reulators that you use on your trips. Do you use both or either. Thanks in advance for your rcommendations. I would be looking for the portable and not hardwired ones.
Lotbb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:13 AM   #2

Name: Ray
Trailer: Scamp
Kansas
You get what you pay for consider the systems being protected, electronics, AC, refrigerator, etc. Go on Amazon:
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C Portable EMS RV Surge Protector - 30 Amp Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C Portable EMS RV Surge Protector...
$239.83 Free Shipping for Prime Members
In Stock
Ray R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:26 AM   #3

Name: Richard
Trailer: 2008 17' Casita
Florida
Thanks Ray, I looked into the Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C Portable RV Surge Protection 30 Amp and the reviews were great. I decided thats would be the way to go and ordered it. Nice to know I can rely on people to reply and give me inflormation to look at. Hope to see you on the road some day!
Lotbb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:39 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
One of the ways to NOT need a surge protector is never plug in.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:16 AM   #5

Name: Ralph
Trailer: SCAMP 13
Kentucky
I have the Progressive portable surge protector... I believe it quite possibly saved some of my stuff one evening at a campsite that the electricity was failing and shutting off and back on a few times. At least it gave me a great peace of mind! Just to let you know... Portable surge protectors have been reported to be stolen from time to time. If you leave your campsite... you are leaving a $200-300 piece of equipment out on the grass. They do make locks for them that you can google. Once my portable one bites the dust, my next purchase will be one installed inside.
Enjoy your day...
Ralph
ralphieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:46 PM   #6

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotbb1 View Post
Starting out in a few months after my wife retires. I have read horror stories about power surges and power drops. I would appreciate some recommendations on certain protectors and or reulators that you use on your trips. Do you use both or either. Thanks in advance for your rcommendations. I would be looking for the portable and not hardwired ones.
We use a portable surge protector on our Casita and motorhome. We didn't at one time and a lightning storm took out our converter. To protect them from being stolen we take a chain and wrap it around the surge protector between the plug and the box part then wrap the chain around the electric post as tight as we can then pad lock the chain. The only way it will come off is if the chain is cut. We have found the locks that they sell for them don't do the job. There may be more than one kind but the one that we got from Camping World is junk. A surge protector is suppose to hang from the post and not lay on the ground. After seeing what can happen to a surge protector when it blows I don't want one in the RV.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I don't use them. Please read this and come to your own conclusion: Surges and Surge Protection by phred

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:21 AM   #8

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
We seldom plug in but

If you can live with 15 amps as I do, you can use the $25.00 Tripp Lite Isobar 2 Outlet Surge Protector/Suppressor, Wall Mount Direct Plug-in, & $10K INSURANCE (ULTRABLOK)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I permanently mounted it inside my Scamp.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-03-26 at 10.18.54 AM.jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:37 AM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
I don't use them. Please read this and come to your own conclusion: Surges and Surge Protection by phred

--Dan Meyer
And when you get near the end of the almost 4,000 word essay you will find this:

LOWER THAN NORMAL VOLTAGE

What is it? The most common cause of damage to electrical items in an RV. It is any sustained voltage of 104VAC or less. Common at RV gatherings as well as at campgrounds with insufficient power to sites.
(Text bolded by reviewer)

Which is why I use a hardwired Progressive-Industries EMS-HW30C. Among it's features, it will disconnect the power to the RV if the voltage falls too far. And this has happened to me more than once, probably saving my air conditioner.

But if you also want voltage regulation (as mentioned in title of this thread), then you are looking for some sort of uninterruptable power supply (UPS). Using a small UPS in addition to the EMS might be a good idea if you are using a computer, but otherwise I doubt there is a need for one in most small R/Vs.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:34 AM   #10

Name: Judy
Trailer: 13' Scamp "La Cucaracha"
Texas
Exclamation OMG OMG OMG....HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
And when you get near the end of the almost 4,000 word essay you will find this:

LOWER THAN NORMAL VOLTAGE

What is it? The most common cause of damage to electrical items in an RV. It is any sustained voltage of 104VAC or less. Common at RV gatherings as well as at campgrounds with insufficient power to sites.
(Text bolded by reviewer)

Which is why I use a hardwired Progressive-Industries EMS-HW30C. Among it's features, it will disconnect the power to the RV if the voltage falls too far. And this has happened to me more than once, probably saving my air conditioner.

But if you also want voltage regulation (as mentioned in title of this thread), then you are looking for some sort of uninterruptable power supply (UPS). Using a small UPS in addition to the EMS might be a good idea if you are using a computer, but otherwise I doubt there is a need for one in most small R/Vs.
-----------------------------------------------
Arrrggghhh....I'm dying here. Taking out my "new" Scamp this weekend (for the first time), and stressing to the max over what to buy and how to hook it all up. Approaching information-overload, and not sure how to proceed. EMS, surge protector, locking device, hard wired, circuit testing....

QUESTION: If I get both the EMS and a surge protector (for inside, to plug stuff into), do I also need to test the supply before plugging any of it in??? If so, can someone give me a link to a proper testing device? Thanks in advance for any clear advice. ��
Old 07-18-2017, 01:21 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Camc...SABEgJyQ_D_BwE
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #12

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Thanks, SteveBaz. I have ordered (literally seconds ago) the 30 Amp Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C Portable EMS RV Surge Protector. From re-reading the details, it appears that this unit actually provides the testing at the pole, and a separate tester isn't required.

If I'm wrong about that, please let me know and I'll buy the Camco unit you suggested, above, as well.

I appreciate everyone's forbearance, as I learn the tricks and tips of doing this.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:11 PM   #13

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_In_Austin View Post
... I have ordered (literally seconds ago) the 30 Amp Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C Portable EMS RV Surge Protector...
I believe that is an older model, replaced by the PT30X.
As you can see from this chart, the PT-30X has about every form of protection you could want, including low voltage, surge and more. And it would negate the need for a separate tester. It is basically the portable version of the hardwired unit I got. I don't have the specs on the "C" model at hand to see how it compares to the "X" model.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:02 PM   #14

Texas
Quote:
I believe that is an older model, replaced by the PT30X.
As you can see from this chart, the PT-30X has about every form of protection you could want, including low voltage, surge and more. And it would negate the need for a separate tester. It is basically the portable version of the hardwired unit I got. I don't have the specs on the "C" model at hand to see how it compares to the "X" model.
Woohoo! I just checked my order and it IS the "X" model! Whew!

Now, just have to figure out how to secure it against theft. A couple of people have mentioned some configuration of a chain, but I can't visualize what they mean.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:32 PM   #15

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_In_Austin View Post

Now, just have to figure out how to secure it against theft. A couple of people have mentioned some configuration of a chain, but I can't visualize what they mean.
It comes with a "Security Locking Bracket" whatever that is. Nothing is really visible in the photos to secure it.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:40 PM   #16

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
don't have one....

don't have an air conditionner, coffee maker or toaster either....

When I do "plug in".....I don't plug into "iffy" looking situations

might be "clean living" or good karma... but I haven't had a problem

(Then again, I have heard from my electrician friends that BC in general has a very robust/stringent electrical code AND good enforcement...YMMV)

speaking of power....beleive or not there was no power at THIS campground...but it was free
Attached Thumbnails
brewb6.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:48 PM   #17

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
When I do "plug in".....I don't plug into "iffy" looking situations

might be "clean living" or good karma... but I haven't had a problem

Maybe I should have led a better life, I have not been so lucky...

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ire-79837.html
Old 07-18-2017, 07:15 PM   #18

Texas
Quote:
It comes with a "Security Locking Bracket" whatever that is. Nothing is really visible in the photos to secure it.
The "locking bracket" on these is what looks like an aluminum piece around the wire on one side, with a hole in it on the other, to put a lock or small chain through. Doesn't look very thief-proof.

We'll figure out something! Thanks, everyone!
Old 07-18-2017, 09:47 PM   #19

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
confused....

Gord...you wrote:

"I turned all the breakers in the camper off and the flames died out."

so your surge protectector didn't shut the power off even though there was an obvious anomaly in the incoming line that caused a FIRE ten feet away ????

sorry but that's not a glowing (pardon the pun) recommendation...now is it?

but whatever makes one sleep good at night is a good thing I guess...sweet dreams
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:28 PM   #20

Texas
Quote:
Maybe I should have led a better life, I have not been so lucky...

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ire-79837.html
Man; that's quite the story. Happy you and your belongings weren't harmed. I got one of the Progressive EMS's, too. (Driving my trailer 18 miles to get the bearings greased tomorrow; first time pulling one, and a little nervous. OK; a lot nervous.)

Tags
eco