30% solar panel tariff - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2018, 05:05 PM   #41

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I'm not sure how one can discuss tax and tariff positions, economics, who pays what in taxes, how corporations should or should not be taxed and the relative efficiency of the USPS vs privatization and even remotely think it's not getting political.

Waaaay back in the beginning when the discussion was solar panel purchase decisions and prices it was in a good place. Now? Eh, not so much.

Please try to avoid the politics around the tariff and focus on the relative merits of buying or not buying now. Myself yesterday I purchased the last 40 Watt folding model with controller in stock. I have had that on my Amazon wish list for a year. At $99 I figure even a 25% price increase is significant enough to warrant buying now.

If I hadn't spent a bunch of money on other things recently I would have probably bought a second 100 watt panel to set aside until I got around to buying a controller and mounting it. In the end I decide the 40 watt that would fold and stow inside my 13 ft was the more important purchase since I didn't want to blow too large a hole in dear wife's budget. :-)
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:06 PM   #42

Michigan
Today that same 40 watt panel that folds from same source is $108 Bit over a 10% bump. Probably in anticipation of higher prices for replacement stock that has to be purchased from selling current stock.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:19 PM   #43

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Today that same 40 watt panel that folds from same source is $108 Bit over a 10% bump. Probably in anticipation of higher prices for replacement stock that has to be purchased from selling current stock.
You made me curious, so I checked.. the 50 Watt Renogy panels I bought three days ago were listed at 75.99 (but were only $69.99 after Amazon discount), are now they are listed at $83.99 (and no discount is showing). Thats a ten percent increase on the list price, and even more if you consider the discount.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:08 AM   #44

Michigan
I think the sellers all need to increase their return in anticipation of higher cost to purchase more. While at the same time remain competitive with the other sellers, which sort of hold the increase down. I would imagine this is slow time of year in PV panel sales.

We shall see how it all shakes out. I still have plans (or hopes) of getting a 100 watt panel that I move between a shed and the roof rack of the tow vehicle. But that will come after a fantastic fan to use the electricity. :-)
Old 01-26-2018, 09:33 AM   #45

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Even if the tariff goes to 50% is it enough to change reality.
When we camp off grid , we have 3 basic methods available to charge our trailer battery

1) Solar
2) Generator
3) Tow Vehicle

For us the most economical ,environmentally and socially sound method is solar.
If we based all our decisions on strictly cost , we would not own a trailer.
If we were buying truck loads of solar panels a 30% tariff would be significant but when buying 1 or 2 small panels for a trailer is it really that big of a deal ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:52 AM   #46

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If we were buying truck loads of solar panels a 30% tariff would be significant but when buying 1 or 2 small panels for a trailer is it really that big of a deal ?
But for my $16,000 camper, I saved $8 by buying before the price increase! Every penny counts. The trouble is that is only counts for a penny.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:43 AM   #47

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
But for my $16,000 camper, I saved $8 by buying before the price increase! Every penny counts. The trouble is that is only counts for a penny.
It always amazes me how thing get pushed out of proportion
One of my favorites are the people who order a $40K or $60 K
fiberglass trailer and then start a thread about should I order a furnace or A/C or awning or some other $200 option as if that .05% price increase is the controlling factor or they are trying to keep the cost down and $50 will blow the whole deal.
Sorry for the tirade but every time the price of anything rises by any amount, there are those who panic and think the world is ending.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:04 PM   #48

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Even if the tariff goes to 50% is it enough to change reality.
When we camp off grid , we have 3 basic methods available to charge our trailer battery

1) Solar
2) Generator
3) Tow Vehicle

For us the most economical ,environmentally and socially sound method is solar.
I think you summed up the whole discussion very well Steve. Nice to read clear thinking. Mine gets foggy on occasion though on a clear day 3 years back I bought a 100 watt solar panel. I just installed it and forgot it. It just sits up there gathering in the photons and makes my battery happy. Best choice since buying a FGRV.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:32 PM   #49

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
I think you summed up the whole discussion very well Steve. Nice to read clear thinking. Mine gets foggy on occasion though on a clear day 3 years back I bought a 100 watt solar panel. I just installed it and forgot it. It just sits up there gathering in the photons and makes my battery happy. Best choice since buying a FGRV.

John
Coming from / living North of Hwy 8 , I am not sure "clear" is an appropriate description of my thought process. Most of the brainpower in Wisconsin is centered around Madison.
The last time we went off grid camping around City Point Wi , I set out my solar panel and then spent the next 3 hours helping a fellow camper get his generator started.
Remember to stay clear of Janesville Wi or Green Bay on game day
Old 01-26-2018, 02:31 PM   #50

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Quote:
It always amazes me how thing get pushed out of proportion
One of my favorites are the people who order a $40K or $60 K
fiberglass trailer and then start a thread about should I order a furnace or A/C or awning or some other $200 option as if that .05% price increase is the controlling factor or they are trying to keep the cost down and $50 will blow the whole deal.
Sorry for the tirade but every time the price of anything rises by any amount, there are those who panic and think the world is ending.
Well Steve you should know that we FG fans order such an expensive trailer because of the quality and longevity, and perhaps it's a stretch to add a lot of options which might not be needed. Look at all the threads Adrienne has started or commented on in regards to their Escape build sheet. They were not talking about $200 options, rather did they need a $650 or $950 inverter or did they need to spend $475 for fancy wheels.

We'll likely be doing the same thing about this time next year. Every option we add we must pay our lovely 13% tax on, so those $475 aluminum rims turn into $537 rims, and we don't get a break using a more valuable $US.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar panel