45W solar kit - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-04-2016, 10:28 AM   #15
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
My problem is my batteries are difficult to get to. I would like to figure out a way to hook both batteries to this controller and panels, or another controller, so my dual batteries could be charged. Obviously I am not geeky enough to figure this stuff out on my own, so need more help!

Really all we need out of this is lights (already LED), maybe the Fantastic Fan, and USB chargers.

Thanks for the help!

Frank are the current batteries on your trailer set up in parallel? I am assuming you do have a way of opening up the box they are in in order to check them from time to time?

If that is the case simple install on the batteries wiring for the controller with a quick connection on one end as shown - that way you simple leave the controller wires connected to the battery all the time and you do not need to open the battery box up every time you connect the solar. Set it up so the quick connection is located outside the box so its fast and simple to connect or disconnect the solar system. You can get the quick connections that have a weather cap/cover attached to them that can be put over them when not in use.

If you want to keep it real simple you do not even need to mount the controller any where in or on the trailer. Simple leave it connected in line with the panel or on the panel itself. Assuming it is weather proof of course. Otherwise you will need to protect it some how in wet weather. This is assuming of course you are planning on leaving the panel moveable and not mounting it full time to the trailer.

You only need to use one controller on the two batteries that are set up in parallel. It does not matter if they are two 6 volts or two 12 volts or if you are using only one panel or three panels. You simple connect a controller that is rated for the max output of your panels to the batteries putting the negative to one battery and the positive to the other battery.

Bottom line is the solar system will work the exactly the same if you set it up in a very uncomplicated fashion or you decide to make it a very complicated install.

A controller mounted inside the trailer that shows you the actual amount of power going in and out and a whole lot of other stuff, is not going to give you any more power than a simple controller mounted on the outside of the trailer or to the panel itself, that has a green light on when charging and a red light on when not!

As far as what you will get out of the solar system keep in mind that all it is doing is charging your battery directly (just like a trickle charger) - so how well it does that is going to depend on its size and how much sunshine it gets.

Having said that I got by in sunny weather with a simple 35 watt panel on my old Scamp for days at a time without plugging in the trailer, using LED lights and 12v fans and charging up phones and keeping my furnace use down while running the fridge on propane - both of the later are power hogs.

Carol H is online now   Reply With Quote