About Solar panels on a 1976 Trillium - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-06-2019, 05:43 PM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, 2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
California
Registry
I was using a renogy 100W solar 'suitcase' with my 16' Casita... fridge on propane, heater fan getting used for a few hours a night. ventilation fantastic fan being used on low pretty all day if its warm out, stove fan being used when boiling water for coffee, and LED lighting being used as needed, water pump to take minishowers, rinse dishes, flush toilet... also was using trailer battery to recharge my phone and tablet and bluetooth speaker and stuff.... in the evening I'd point the renogy towards the east to catch sunrise, mid day I'd adjust it to the south, afternoon to the west, and usually my group 27 battery was at 100% before i even woke up in the morning.

(mid day solar in the Mojave Desert, mid november)

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:58 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burroman View Post
Ok, simple question:
I have a 13’ Burro. I use Luci lights for lighting, no refrigerator, just ice box, and no electric water pump, no fan for heater, so just once in awhile using Inside lights until I get the solar Luci light on.
Very little drain on my 12v battery.
Also, all inside lights are LEDs.
Saying that ,My battery uses some power over a week or two.
I can charge it from the car when we drive, but sitting for a week or two will use some power.
What size solar panel would people recommend to keep the 12v battery topped up.
kEEPING It SIMPLE.
Larry, your charging needs could easily be addressed with one Renogy 50 watt solar panel ($75 on Amazon). Or you could purchase a Renogy 100 watt solar panel ($127 on Amazon) to address increasing power demand in the future.

EDIT: Before I purchased a 100 watt solar panel, I determined that I could run 7 interior LED bulbs (1156 type) 6 hours per day and an LP detector 24 hours per day, all for five day on a small 36 amp hour battery. At the end of the five days, the battery was 50% discharged. I bought the 100 watt solar panel to address expanding power needs: charging tablets and phones, etc. This also allowed us to boondock for indefinite periods.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:41 PM   #17

Name: Larry
Trailer: Burro
California
Thanks, very helpful
Burroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:30 PM   #18

Name: Larry
Trailer: Burro
California
Keeping it Simple

Sometimes I think we get carried away with outfitting our “eggs”.
Especially those of us just using them 3-4 weeks a year, or 3-4 days at a time.
Used my Burro a lot, but no more than 2 weeks at a time, and every time I think”oh, I could add that”, I think “really, do you need that or just think it’s cool”, usually the latter.
Now if you’re a @wgourmet cook , and want to practice that on the road- different story.
I certainly don’t NEED much electricity, especially with Luci lights, and LED bulbs.
Seems to me Thoreau’s advice, “simplify, simplify” is something to think about.
Upgrading brakes, LED stop and turn lights are the things I NEED, not more appliances that will tether me to a generator and big solar panel.
I have enough things to maintain at home! I need a vacation when I go.
Just some thoughts.
Burroman
“if you don’t know the difference between a BURRO and a BURROW, then you don’t know your ass from a hole in the ground”

Burroman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar panel, trillium