Adding Outlets - How did you? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-09-2016, 09:32 AM   #15
Name: Carl
Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Their are boxes and receptacles specifically designed and built for the RV / Mobile home industry. and RV wiring has it's own code section.
I hope they improved the code since 1981 :

Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:18 AM   #16
Name: Steven
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Carl V View Post
I hope they improved the code since 1981 :

NO and the poor connection from the receptacle to the branch circuit conductors often causes the plug to burn off and since trailers use a lot of wood paneling the wall get scorched or starts on fire. The trailer industry uses this wiring method because it is cheap , saves time and is often not subject to 3rd party inspections.
When they allowed the use of aluminum Romex we were constantly replacing burned up wiring in mobile homes.
There is a huge difference between meeting the code and best practice. We never back wired receptacles not because it wasn't up to code but because it was a source of problems for the home owner and led to warranty issues down the road.
On Multi wire circuits you cannot use the device to splice the neutrals or the neutral connection can not be dependent on the device. A bad neutral in many cases is more dangerous than a bad hot . If you lose the neutral you could end up with 240 VAC
impressed across the load.

steve dunham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #17
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
I think I'm going to run an outlet outside from the inverter located where I can plug the main shore power plug into it. That way all of the outlets that would normally be available from shore power will be available from the inverter.

IF a converter is added I'll need to run the circuits for the converter and inverter though a either/or cam switch. This will avoid the converter trying to charge the battery using power from the inverter which is drawing from the battery. Kill the battery and generate heat if the converter can run while the inverter is running.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:51 PM   #18
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Well I am just wrapping up adding those outlets to the back. Turned out ok except initially when I plugged the camper into garage outlet the GFCI outlet in the garage would trip - never used to do that when I plugged the camper in so.....

Used the google site search on the forum and found thread from awhile back that allowed me to trouble shoot in short order. Cross linking in case anyone reading this thread runs into the same "now what did I do wrong" moment adding outlets. 110V trips the GFI on my garage?

RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote