AGM vs Flooded - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-07-2016, 06:36 PM   #15
Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Casita FD 17 - 2010 Audi Q5
Puget Sound, WA
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
Add to your list that AGM batteries do not off-gas so they can be placed inside the coach without extensive venting. Also, I believe, they can be oriented in any position, do not need to be kept upright.

Well, in spite of hearing several folks tout the fact that AGM batteries do not need venting, Mike (Civilguy) kindly corrected me on this point. Apparently, in normal operations, an AGM battery does not off-gas hydrogen. It is possible, however, for a malfunctioning charger to cause an internal safety valve in the battery to release hydrogen gas, which is very explosive. For this reason, virtually all the manufacturers and others in the know suggest and/or require that ALL batteries should be vented to the outside.
I sent Lyle a link to a site that indicates it is a wise practice to vent AGM's.

I also looked at a battery distributer's site, Fisher, that indicates otherwise.

AGM Batteries - Batteries by Fisher

I've seen both of these web pages in the past; they readily pop up when you search the subject. It wasn't my intent to say that Lyle was wrong, more that the information is hazy.

Byron's "Welcome to the world of Internet forums" comment kind of sums it up.

Personally, I have an existing vent in my existing battery compartment, so this aspect doesn't really matter to me. If I were to add another battery compartment I'd probably find a way vent it. That's my personal comfort level. Other people's comfort level will vary and that's fine too.

I think the larger issues here are the respective technical merits and limitations of AGM vs. flooded cell, along with the potential cost benefit equation. I will continue to read most anything I find online, searching for something that I will decide to adopt and believe, however right or wrong, but hopefully at least a sort-of-true simplification that serves to get me down the road.

So, folks, please carry on. We can now return to our regularly scheduled discussion.

- "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln -
Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote