Amazon deal on inverter generator, less than $400 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2016, 04:10 AM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Amazon deal on inverter generator, less than $400

see here for details https://smile.amazon.com/WEN-56200i-...CFKEZH642DWD4A
Old 08-24-2016, 07:28 AM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I have a coupon for Harbor freight generator Inverter Generator - 4.7HP, 2500W Inverter Generator for $349.99. I'm not going to use the coupon, PM me if you want to get the coupon.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:49 AM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Anyone here have one? The reviews are good.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:53 AM   #4

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
It looks like the same generator sold by Walmart (PM2000i), just slightly different skin and control panel.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:19 AM   #5

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
Registry
Just bought for $379 prime.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Curbfeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:38 AM   #6

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Already sold out at that price.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:55 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Based on engine displacement as a reference only I wonder if the ratings are accurate or at least close to Honda's

Some ratings are exaggerated and Honda's might possibly be conservative.

Honda ie2000u 1600/2000 and 98.5cc displacement.
Wen 1600/2000 and 79.7cc displacement.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:46 PM   #8

Name: Steve Robison
New Jersey
At first I was considering solar panels but maybe a generator is a better alternative to recharging my battery while dry camping?

I figured it takes up less space and I can run an air conditioner if need be. But then again it might not make sense to get a generator to recharge the battery when I can just use jumper cables to the car and run it for an hour?
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:59 PM   #9

Rob.

Running an automobile just to charge your camper's battery is not very effecient.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:03 PM   #10

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
Rob.

Running an automobile just to charge your camper's battery is not very effecient.

Joe
I figured maybe I could just plug it into my 12v receptacle in my car when running into town and letting it charge that way?

Eventually I'd like to go the generator or solar route but probably next season.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:03 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I have a generator and I have two 40 watt solar panels. I have no air.
I ask myself the same questions every time I go camping. If I take the generator, I need to pack a gas can and if I run it, I'll annoy neighbours.
If I take the portable panels, I need sunlight and it takes longer to charge the battery than using the generator. I would also worry about theft when not at camp ( although I've seen lots of people just leave them out and go fishing ).
The panels and the generator weigh about the same.
In the event of a power failure at home, I can pull out the generator and run emergency power for a small heater or to run fridge/freezer ( I'd actually just move into the trailer and run everything on propane ).
Over to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Solar Honda.jpg  
Old 09-01-2016, 08:09 PM   #12

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I have a generator and I have two 40 watt solar panels. I have no air.
I ask myself the same questions every time I go camping. If I take the generator, I need to pack a gas can and if I run it, I'll annoy neighbours.
If I take the portable panels, I need sunlight and it takes longer to charge the battery than using the generator. I would also worry about theft when not at camp ( although I've seen lots of people just leave them out and go fishing ).
The panels and the generator weigh about the same.
In the event of a power failure at home, I can pull out the generator and run emergency power for a small heater or to run fridge/freezer ( I'd actually just move into the trailer and run everything on propane ).
Over to you.
Can you plug one of those small generators into a 30 amp shore power outlet which feeds a converter and run a dorm fridge, 12v water pump and 110v/12v receptacles in the camper?
Old 09-01-2016, 08:22 PM   #13

I have a Champion 3500/4000 that has the 30A receptacle! But it's loud. On the smaller gens, you can use the 30A to 15A adapter. You will have to figure up the wattage you will be pulling- knowing the amperage/watts of the fridge, how much you're pulling through the converter, then how much you will hook up to the ac outlets. As long as it doesnt exceed the wattage of your gen, you're ok. Your gen will certainly let you know when it's had enough but it's always best to leave a 30% or better margin...or at least I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetang99 View Post
Can you plug one of those small generators into a 30 amp shore power outlet which feeds a converter and run a dorm fridge, 12v water pump and 110v/12v receptacles in the camper?
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:27 PM   #14

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I have a Champion 3500/4000 that has the 30A receptacle! But it's loud. On the smaller gens, you can use the 30A to 15A adapter. You will have to figure up the wattage you will be pulling- knowing the amperage/watts of the fridge, how much you're pulling through the converter, then how much you will hook up to the ac outlets. As long as it doesnt exceed the wattage of your gen, you're ok. Your gen will certainly let you know when it's had enough but it's always best to leave a 30% or better margin...or at least I do.
That's good to know, thanks. I only have a fridge in there that would be the power hog, maybe a heater in the winter. If anything I would imagine all the 12v appliances/receptacles have a much lower wattage so I could probably run more of those.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:40 PM   #15

Mine is a 1000 watt Honda. I only use it to charge the battery. I have a two way fridge ( AC and propane ). I'd go with a cooler and ice and forget the dorm fridge if I didn't have propane. Every time you open the dorm fridge, you dump all the cold air out onto the floor.
You won't have happy campers surrounding you if you run a generator 24 hours to keep the fridge running.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:55 PM   #16

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Mine is a 1000 watt Honda. I only use it to charge the battery. I have a two way fridge ( AC and propane ). I'd go with a cooler and ice and forget the dorm fridge if I didn't have propane. Every time you open the dorm fridge, you dump all the cold air out onto the floor.
You won't have happy campers surrounding you if you run a generator 24 hours to keep the fridge running.
I was just curious in case of a power outage at home. No way would I want to listen to a generator for hours while camping, my kid is loud enough lol.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:02 PM   #17

I endured a four-day power failure mid winter once, but I didn't have the trailer then.
If it happens again, I'm moving into the trailer, with propane furnace and fridge and the Honda can charge the battery for the 12VDC lights and water pump. Warm and cozy.

Tags
generator