Anyone Ever Install an RV (Roof) Air Conditioner Thermostat? - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-16-2016, 04:20 PM   #1
Name: Bruce
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft RQ
Anyone Ever Install an RV (Roof) Air Conditioner Thermostat?

I am talking about that would start and stop the fan as well as the compressor.

Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:11 PM   #2
Name: Garland
Trailer: Escape 19
This company sells a kit for that:

Aftermarket Auto-fan Kits for Coleman RV Air Conditioners

I thought about getting one, because the first few trips with my Mach 8 it was difficult for me to sleep. I installed LHCs hush kit, but that does not help with interior noise. I must be getting used to the noise, though, because the last trip the air conditioner noise did not bother me.

My main concern with the kit is that the fan and compressor coming on together might be more of an issue than the fan running constantly and the compressor kicking on occasionally.

FlaGman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:58 AM   #3
Name: Joe
Trailer: 1999 Casita 17' SD
There's a thread over on the CasitaForum about doing just that.

You need to be a member.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:11 PM   #4
Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Bruce, I did that EXACT thing and it was based on another poster's suggestion as the original idea came from a Casita member that did this. I've used it for the past 5 yrs and it's REMARKABLE for controlling my Scamp's interior temp- heat OR cold! (I have the heat strip).

It starts and stops the entire unit which answers a recent poster on this topic about concerns doing just that. I even spoke with Coleman as my unit is the 9200 BTU Coleman Cub series. They said they now install units with digital thermostats that have the option (like my central unit and room A/Cs) where you can start/stop the entire unit and it wont hurt it. Again, I have 5 yrs proof!

I'm sending a link to my flickr album that has even my wiring diagram but I take NO responsibility/liability for someone that may try to hook it up by my drawings and it fail.

One thing I DO want to mention is attention to the little fan that I actually place IN the thermostat. Without it, placing my Hunter at the end of the counter on the Scamp 13' was useless! The temps STILL varied greatly because there's simply a pocket of dead air there. Believe me, I've tested this for literal HOURS and proved it. The little fan solved it. Yes, you could move the thermostat, but you have to consider the relay, wiring etc that goes with this mod before you do...and where would you put it? I see you have a large BigFoot, so I'm thinking the location of your thermostat will be in a hallway and the air circulation will not be a problem!

Well..if you have any more questions, I'd be glad to try and answer them. This has been my most NECESSARY mod for comfort in the 13'. One final note- I use this setup on a generator and even on "Heat", it doesnt have ANY problems starting up- Champion 3500/4000.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote