Anyone know of an easy charger for cell phone in Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2015, 06:42 PM   #1

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
Anyone know of an easy charger for cell phone in Scamp?

Hi, is there an easy way to put the ability to charge my cell phone in the Scamp while I'm running off the battery? Seems like there should be something.... ?
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:43 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I added a 12 VDC outlet on a separate circuit on the face of the dinnette bench in my Scamp . All it takes is a 12 V outlet , a short length of wire, a couple of stakons ,electrical tape and a few simple tools. Cost was under $10 and took less than an hour.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:53 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You didn't mention what you cell phone charging cord is looking for. If is a 12 volt plug Steve's suggestion will do the trick. However, if it's a USB connector you will need either a USB charging port or a USB adapter for the 12 volt plug.

There have been a few reports of newer Apple phones suffering battery damage from aftermarket USB ports. If you have an Apple I'd suggest getting the Apple 12 volt charging cord.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:55 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Yes. And with a 12v outlet (one of which I also put in my Scamp) you can purchase a 12v to USB voltage jack that goes into 12v outlet and then just plug your cell phones USB charger into it. On the other hand, I tend to charge my iPhone & iPad in my tow vehicle while towing, then they're charged up for use in the trailer.

... Greg
Boulder, CO
Not all who wander are lost.
Greg Hine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:21 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: Compact Jr and Teardrop Trailer
Washington
This is what I am going to install in my Compact Jr.
Triple 12V Power 3 1 Amp USB Charger Volmeter Socket Panel Boat Outlet Jack | eBay

I am go to add a 12v momentary switch for the volt meter so it is not a continious drain.

Jeremy
rainjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:54 AM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I hope to do the same as Rainjer but if you are looking for USB outlets, already have a cigarette type outlet, and you don't want to wire something in.. then the below linked item is very handy.
It plugs into either the 12 vdc cigarette lighter -OR- 120 VAC wall outlet, and provides two USB power ports. I am sure the one I got was much cheaper than Digikey but I don't recall the source.
30-3162 GC Electronics | GC3162-ND | DigiKey
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:18 AM   #7

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
I wired Blue Sea USB chargers directly to the Scamp's 12 volt lighting circuit. Or you could use something like the item pictured below if you have a convenient 12 volt outlet.. I have seen them from 1 to 7 dollars.

.Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	84396
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:36 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
[QUOTE=rainjer;524602]This is what I am going to install in my Compact Jr.
Triple 12V Power 3 1 Amp USB Charger Volmeter Socket Panel Boat Outlet Jack | eBay

I am go to add a 12v momentary switch for the volt meter so it is not a continious drain.

Jeremy: A volt meter will not drain the battery. I mounted a 12 v cigaret lighter socket in the left panel just inside the Scamp door, and spliced into the 12V wires that feed the fridge. I have a voltmeter that plugs into that socket, and leave it there all the time. It also serves us as a nightlight. And our cell phone's car charger cord works there too. BUT, it is easier to just charge the cell in the Car.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:34 AM   #9

Name: Steve in NY
Trailer: Scamp
New York
I am pretty sure most of those USB outlets are constantly using power, including this device I'd bet. The USB thing does draw enough power that I would put a switch on it. Personally, I like just an outlet and a dedicated cord. When you take the cord out, no power is being used. And unless you need a 1 amp and a 2.1 amp charger, you are using this much power all the time, unless there is some kind of different circuitry than usual. I like waterfront camp sites, and they never have power, so I never plug my camper in. If you have a good solar setup of always plug in, I suppose it matters little.

Take Care,
Steve
Steve in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:19 AM   #10

A USB outlet "might" have an infinitesimal current leakage of a few microamps when not in use, but not much more. The 1 amp and 2.1 amp outlet on a USB charger is a standard indication of the maximum current that can be drawn from the device, not it's current usage.

My rig has a "Voltminder" voltage display/monitor, 3 LED pilot lights and 4 USB charging ports and the "phantom" current draw is less than .08 amps, that's less than 1 watt of power. I wouldn't worry about draining a battery with that....

Old 05-26-2015, 11:26 AM   #11

New York
I used to think that way, until I found my car battery dead after leaving it in the airport parking lot for two weeks. I'd left my wife and my phone charges in the always on outlet. The Lot attendant gave me a jump and said they do it multiple times a day.

The skinny: If it draws 1 watt of power, x 24 hours x 12 days, that's 288 watt-hours. 2 watts, 576 watt-hours. 3 watts, 864 watt-hours.

A car battery holds around 800 watt-hours of power. It might not seem like a big deal, but if you just have a single group 24 battery, you need to tally up all of your phantom load items. The crazy part is that I've tested my cell phone charger and it draws the same current no matter whether there is a load or not.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:49 AM   #12
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Bob, I have to agree with Steve. As you can see the Blue Sea has a 15 mA parasitic draw when not in use which is why I also installed a in line switch.
Sid
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:08 PM   #13

New York
It's pretty nice that they included the parasitic draw. I hadn't noticed that. After I wrote what I wrote, I decided to look more into it. It seems like devices vary a lot in parasitic power draw. I think in a car, when it gets used every day, it probably doesn't matter or for the RVer who uses a generator or maybe even good solar power. both my cell phone and tablet charge quick on the 12V car adapters, so why draw power when you don't need it.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:19 PM   #14

I have two Blue Sea USB chargers on line all the time, no switches. At 15 milliamp that makes their combined draw 1 amp every 33 hours. That draw will take 2 or 3 months to bring the battery down to 12 volts. Still it wouldn't be so good for long term storage, though I throw the main battery disconnect if I store the Scamp for long periods of time. Usually I'm in and out of the Scamp while its garaged a couple times a week, so I don't disconnect the battery. But after a week or so I plug in the battery minder to keep the battery in ship shape. OTOH I have some tiny button switches and may add them to the chargers.

Direct 12 volt DC to USB 5 volt DC chargers are much more convenient and efficient than inverting 12 volt DC to 120 volt AC and then using your phone's charger to bring it down to 5 volt DC.

Waiting out the Wisconsin monsoon, john
Old 05-26-2015, 01:07 PM   #15

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 19 5'er
Colorado
How about a little portable solar panel, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Solar-Charger-...le+solar+panel
Old 05-26-2015, 01:20 PM   #16

I think my math came out a little different.
.08 amps x 24 hours x 12 days = 23.04 amp hrs. Shouldn't kill off a group 24 battery
BUT.... as you mentioned, leaving any device, like a battery charger, connected is a different issue, it will draw a lot more than .08 amps.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:09 PM   #17

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
You guys have solved my mystery drain! Several months back I installed a Blue Sea dual USB outlet and a cig lighter receptacle on the outside of our Scamp. I notice a small drain on the Tri metric monitor and had not associated the coincidence.
Thanks
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I think my math came out a little different.
.08 amps x 24 hours x 12 days = 23.04 amp hrs. Shouldn't kill off a group 24 battery
BUT.... as you mentioned, leaving any device, like a battery charger, connected is a different issue, it will draw a lot more than .08 amps.
I'm confused, which is not unusual these days. I think I missed a post or two. Where did the .08 amps come from? I thought the Blue Sea draw was 15 milliamps or .015 amps or in my case with two -- .030 amps. Math class was a long time ago.

John
Old 05-26-2015, 05:58 PM   #19

I was using my numbers from Post #10, I guess that they are different from the others.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:10 PM   #20

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Did I miss something? We have a couple of 12V cigarette plugs in our trailer and use regular car USB plugs to charge cell phones and such. Cheap, simple, effective.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp