armchair obsession on wire size - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-09-2014, 06:15 AM   #15

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
In simple terms, basically (let's not get really picky) any size wire will charge a battery completely, if it's not under load.

The wire gauge controls the time of charge, and the allowed draw while charging.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:32 AM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
In my simplistic view of the world, a battery is recharged when the resting voltage (and the rest period is at least an hour, more is more accurate) is back to the proper voltage for the battery. http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/b...tate_of_charge

Since waiting so long is problematic, I fall back to my second position which is that the battery is recharged after I've returned a matching number of amp hours to that which was consumed between the charging cycles.

For example, checking the battery after only 10-15 minutes will mislead you as to battery charge state.

Having no spouse that I can confine to the trailer(), I built a box with a volt and ammeter which I can insert between the tow and trailer so I get a pretty good sense of what the tow is passing to the trailer.

Between the test box and my Linkpro meter (in the trailer), I've learned that for at least my combination (Ford Flex w/tow package) I don't count on travel-time recharging for much.

The picture shows the conditions with the reefer on DC which is about a 10amp load. It explains why my trailer battery is so deeply discharged even after a 5 hour trip if the reefer is on DC.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: bmp Motherinlaw.bmp (355.1 KB, 31 views)

Old 04-09-2014, 06:38 AM   #17
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
In simple terms, basically (let's not get really picky) any size wire will charge a battery completely, if it's not under load.

The wire gauge controls the time of charge, and the allowed draw while charging.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #18

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post

To support your point....
I was once helping a friend move, he was playing his radio in his van all day and ran the battery down. Having no jumper cables available, I simply McGyvered a cheap household extension cord, cut the ends off and jumpered the batteries. I let his truck charge for 15 minutes from my truck and it started right up. Notice that we charged his battery with the cord not trying to start his van with it.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #19

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2004 trillium outback
Alaska
Registry
Seems to me the key question is how FAST do you want to charge your batteries. I don't want my gel cells to charge over about 8-10 amps so I'm ok with my #14 wire. As long as I drive a certain amount between stops I can replace the previous stops drain. If I had wet cells and didn't drive much I'd go for big wire.