Basic Wiring Questions for PD4045 Converter/Charger - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #1

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
Basic Wiring Questions for PD4045 Converter/Charger

I have my new PD4045 converter/charger mounted, that was fairly easy- now I need to wire it. I opted to install it under the front couch/bunk so as the absolutely minimize is impact on storage space and accessibility. Actually checking the fuses and breakers will require me to lay on my side with my head under the front bunk cabinet, but I will not be doing that very often.

While the wiring seems fairly simple I'm just not experienced enough with 120AC wiring to get started without asking some very basic questions.

1.The diagram shows how to wire the main breaker but not the branch breakers. So are the branch breakers supposed to be wired in the exact same way as the main breaker? Or is there some slight difference?

2.Also, along the right edge (near the bottom of the diagram) it shows "AC hot (black) to converter". That wire is already pre-stalled to converter section, but I believe I need to also run a hot wire to that same little 4 screw connector to provide the AC hot signal. If so where should I run the AC hot signal from?

3. If I use a GFCI outlet on the side of the cabinet with the sink, will that provide enough of a safety measure for a sink overflowing or wet countertop situation? I couLd run an outlet above the sink a little bit- but that is really not an ideal place- yet safety comes first.

4. If I just "daisy chain" another standard outlet off the GFCI outlet that outlet will also have the exact same protection, correct?

I'm sure I will come up with some more questions, but that's about it for now.

Thanks in advance for your help
Attached Thumbnails
image-1936240950.jpg  
Ryan P R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I just installed one of these in our Uhaul. I found that a couple of the 12 volt wires that have the numbers on them did not match up with the fuse numbers. I used an ohm meter to check them. As I recall, the main breaker will provide power for the branch breakers, so you attach the hot wire for the branch to the branch breaker, then the white wire to the strip at the bottom. It's raining now so I'm not going out to look at this time. The directions are not very good that they give with this thing.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #3

New York
I just went and looked at how I wired mine, so the answer to your question #2 is: I took a short piece of wire off the terminal on one of my branch breakers and connected it to that little 4 screw connector to provide power to the converter. So I'm using one breaker to only power the converter section.That leaves two breakers for lights or outlets. For the 110 power in, and for the branch circuits, I put the white wire on the screw strip closest to the front of the unit, and the bare ground wire in my romex cable on to the screw strip that is back in farther. My wiring is a little odd because I left in place a fuse box that I had previously installed, so there is two 110 circuits out of it, and two out of the PD4045. I'm not sure about the GFCI wiring.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
An easy way to check which terminal strip should be used for grounds vs neutrals is with an ohm meter. The ground strip will be connected to the case of the enclosure. The neutral cannot be connected to the case.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #5

New York
Thanks for that info Jon. I think the case of this unit is all plastic
Old 10-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Well then I guess if neither is grounded, you have a choice, however the ground buss should be connected to the chassis and, of course, the supply ground.

The labeling is a bit confusing since it states "Gnd on Bot" Neu on Top, but the printing is upside down. Maybe the actual drawing is a bit clearer?
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
AC Wiring: White to lite and green to ground the world around.

On switches and receptacles you will have a brass colored and a aluminum (Silver) colored screw. The White wire always goes to the silver (Lite) screw and the black wire always goes to the dark (Brass looking) screw.

The Black wire is the HOT side and the side that goes to the breaker and the White wire is the return (Neutral) that connects to a bus-bar on the power supply. That leaves the GREEN that always connects to the Ground connection.

As far as the GFI: I would not put it where water could get to it because even though it may trip if wet, it still has the HOT wire connected also. I would mount it somewhere else and run the GFI protected wire to the other receptacle.

Not all breakers and fuses may be for AC. Some of them may be for DC and more than likely the DC ones will be fuses, not breakers.

Once your installation is complete do this:

Use one of the testers found in the web site below and first, test the receptacle where you will plug your camper into to make sure it is wired correct and do this at every campground you go to B 4 plugging in your camper and second, Plug your camper to the receptacle then go to each receptacle that you have installed and test with the tester. This will tell you if everything is wired correctly.

Electric Receptacle Tester
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #8

New York
The PD4045 uses ATC fuses for the DC [12 volt] circuits. That is where I found some of the fuse ID numbers didn't match up with the numbers on the wires that come out the back of the converter. I used a junction block to connect my 12 volt circuits to the converter wires. I put a stud on the battery box for the ground connections, the stud is connected to the negative terminal of the battery. I also have a good battery disconnect switch, and that requires removal of a jumper strip in the converter. I have one of those testers that Darwin mentions, you should be able to get one at a hardware store, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Thanks for including that info Darwin, I haven't been testing the outlets at the campgrounds but will start doing so.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #9

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
Thanks for help folks. I think a lot of my confusion has been cleared up!

I hope to get started on the wiring soon.
Ryan P R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan P R View Post
Actually checking the fuses and breakers will require me to lay on my side with my head under the front bunk cabinet, but I will not be doing that very often.

4. If I just "daisy chain" another standard outlet off the GFCI outlet that outlet will also have the exact same protection, correct?
LOL thats what I have to do with my 92 side bath as well - good news is only had to do it once in 5 years.

re question #4 - when I inquired with an electrician about that when installing my exterior outlet, daisy chained off an inside GFCI outlet. I was told that it would have the same protection so no need for the new outlet to be GFCI. Dont hold me to it though as I am not an electriction!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
re question #4 - when I inquired with an electrician about that when installing my exterior outlet, daisy chained off an inside GFCI outlet. I was told that it would have the same protection so no need for the new outlet to be GFCI. Dont hold me to it though as I am not an electriction!
Yes, if wired correctly additional outlets are protected. Just remember that you need to reset off the parent outlet if it trips.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #12

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Yes Carol. The reason I like to daisy chain rather than installing the GFCI outside is because there is a HOT wire connected that is not protected should water get into the Water Resistant Box.

Daisy chaining keeps the unprotected HOT wire inside the camper.

How on earth does water seam to get into these resistant things is a mystery. It happens.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote