Batteries for Dummy (me) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2007, 08:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
When I picked up the Bigfoot, Ches looked at the battery (it was dry) and recommended I go to Costco for a new one. I'd be a fool to second guess that advice, and I will be buying one tomorrow. As I was getting the trailer ready for this past weekend's trip I didn't have time to get a new battery set up before leaving, so it was this one or nothing at the time.

One of my neighbours was by checking out the new trailer. He took one look and also said "buy a batttery", but for the heck of it had me top it up and he tested it. It looked okay to him on the tester and it was charging while being plugging into shore power, he though it would be fine.

Heading out on the road I switched the fridge from propane to 12v thinking that it would be okay while driving, but once we were got to camp, the battery was all but drained with only enough power to run the lights. I turned the fridge off 12v during any stops made along the way, so it was only on 12v while being towed. Truck battery is fine.

I am wondering why the battery didn't replenish itself while hooked to the tow vehicle? Is this just because the battery is all but done? Or is there a wiring problem that I should have fixed? Or is the fridge just drawing power on 12v faster than the battery will replenish from the tow vehicle?

Thanks!
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:06 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
a "killed" battery.. which is usually what happens when they get dry, will charge but not hold the charge for very long.

checking to make sure your tow car is actually charging is another place to look. It may not actually be doing so, even if it's set up to be. Any # of things could be happening, from faulty tow wiring, pigtail problems, lines going to the battery...

also, if the fridge is running, the battery does not get charged very well.. essentially because you are running the fridge indirectly from your car battery and the trailer battery suffers from current draw on the fridge instead of it charging the battery.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:07 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Or is the fridge just drawing power on 12v faster than the battery will replenish from the tow vehicle?
Calling it a "charge" line is a slight misnomer. When the fridge is running, the BEST it can do will be to just keep up with the drain from the fridge.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:34 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Gina may be right, Check to see if your Tow vehicle is set up to charge the battery in trailer.

You can do this by unhooking the Tow vehicle wire that goes to Positive post of the camper battery then start your tow vehicle and using a tester, test this lead . it should read 14 + or - a bit. is so it is charging the camper battery while traveling.

But as Frederick said the slow charge that this battery is getting off tow vehicle alternator is just maintaining or even discharging and not charging if the fridge is drawing while driving.

Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:00 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Gina may be right, Check to see if your Tow vehicle is set up to charge the battery in trailer.
You can do this by unhooking the Tow vehicle wire that goes to Positive post of the camper battery then start your tow vehicle and useing a tester, test this lead . it should read 14 + or - a bit. is so it is charging the camper battery while traveling.
But as Fredrrick said the slow charge that this battery is getting off tow vehicle alternator is just maintaining or even discharging and not charging if the fridge is drawing while driveing.
Gerry the canoebuilder
I did this and it looked good, but no charge. Better easier method maybe. Disconnect the battery either by removing the fuse near the battery or taking the wire off one of the terminals. Plug into the two and start tow. Then go into the trailer and turn on one or more of the 12 volt lights.
In my case there was a solenoid that was defective in the tow vehicle and wouldn't handle the current needed, but would show up good with a meter.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:30 AM   #6

So my shopping list is consisting of:

Deep cycle marine battery
Testing meter
Charger

Questions:

What's the difference between a 24M or 27M battery? Existing one is 24.
What would be a better charging system? I see Costco has a Solar Panel Charger that I am interested in, or am I better off going with something like the Eliminator Intelligent Charger?
Are there any certain features I should be looking for on a tester? Will something like this Digital Multimeter do the job?
Old 08-08-2007, 02:02 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi Lainey
Remember when buying a new battery that the battery case on your unit will ,(I think )only hold a size 24 battery.The difference between batteries is that a 27 will have more amp hours of use.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:44 PM   #8

Okay, I will make sure the new one fits the existing battery case.

I'm taking the interior measurements of the case with me just on the off chance that the larger one will fit, but I'm not holding my breath.

Any thoughts on the charging options I'm looking at?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2007, 03:53 PM   #9

Look at Canadian Tire on line.Type in Battery Chargers.The first one you see is a smart battery charger.This is type you want.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:15 PM   #10

This is the first one I get on the list on the Canuck Tire site:Motomaster Automatic 10/2A Battery Charger Is that the one you mean? Do you know the item number of the one you are looking at if not? Thanks!
Old 08-08-2007, 04:56 PM   #11

Quote:
This is the first one I get on the list on the Canuck Tire site:Motomaster Automatic 10/2A Battery Charger Is that the one you mean? Do you know the item number of the one you are looking at if not? Thanks!
I am looking at same one.Maybe one of our experts here will chime in and let us both know if this is a good one.My main concern is to make sure i can leave charger on and not boil battery.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:13 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
This is the first one I get on the list on the Canuck Tire site:Motomaster Automatic 10/2A Battery Charger Is that the one you mean? Do you know the item number of the one you are looking at if not?
That one's automatic (doesn't just keep trying to charge forever like a "manual"), but not "smart"... I would not expect it to manage the rate of charge current very well. In the Canadian Tire line (which is generally built by Schumacher), the better chargers are have "Intelligent" in their name, such as the Eliminator Intelligent Charger (item 11-1514-6) or the Intelligent Battery Charger (item 11-1513-8, a 12/8/2 amp unit); both are really Schumacher SpeedChargers. For an RV battery, you don't need the 30 amp high-current feature of item 11-1514-6, but that one does add the desulphate/restore feature which might be useful (I have it on my Vector charger, and I've tried it but can't say if it is really effective).

WalMart is another source: around here (it varies by area) they carry the Vector line, including the one I bought.

Fast charging is generally not a desirable thing for efficiency or battery life, especially for deep-discharge (RV) batteries, so take it as slow as you have time for... ten hours to charge is better than one, and a 12 amp initial charging rate (just an example, the highest rate on my charger) will get your half-discharged group 24 or group 27 battery charged back up in that time.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:19 PM   #13

Thanks Brian---Good info for Lainey and I.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:32 PM   #14

Quote:
So my shopping list is consisting of:

Deep cycle marine battery...
"Deep cycle" - yes; but "marine" doesn't matter. Since marine and RV requirements for deep-cycle batteries are compatible, the same product is often offered for both applications, so lots of us have "marine" batteries. If they were just "deep cycle", that would be fine, too.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:56 PM   #15

Thanks Brian!

What do people think about the Solar charger at Costco?
It claims: "Quality solar cells engineered in the UK under 9001-2000 certified standards
1.2 A, 15 V (18 W) power
LED power indicator
Plug'n'Play® quick connection
Includes 3 m (10-ft.) power cable, cigarette lighter adapter, charge controller and battery clamps
Weatherproof
Panel dimensions (L x W x H):
109.2 cm x 48.3 cm x 5.1 cm
(39 in. x 19 in. x 2 in.)
Weight: 6.8 kg (15 lb.)"

It is pictured with the same charge controller as the 3 panel charger they sell which is described as "4 A charge controller with German "PWM" technology to prevent overcharge" so I would assume that it comes with the single panel charger as well.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:08 AM   #16

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
If you want to park in the sun all day and move the solar charger so it points at the sun I guess it would be OK.
Me I like a nice wooded site so I wouldn't liek the solar Idea.
Just my preferance and I am sure it is fine for others.

Gerry the caneobuiler
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:14 AM   #17

Here's where I'm at. Bought new deep cycle 24 battery at Costco. Went with the Canadian Tire 11-1513-8 charger.

I checked charger prices at 5 stores, but Canuck Tire was still the best price for the intelligent type charger.

On a side note, I will not be returning to one of the auto parts stores as I was treated condescendingly by the salesperson, presumably because I was a female looking for a bettery charger they thought maybe I wanted to charge some AA's for an Ipod or something and that I was in the wrong store. Maybe they read my thread title

I may still look at a solar charger in the future to top up while camping, as mostly I will be boondocking.

There seems to be some conflicting information about whether the new battery should be charged before or after installation? Does it make any difference?

Also, I've read conflicting information about whether water should be added to new batteries before or after the first charge if needed?
Old 08-10-2007, 10:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Also, I've read conflicting information about whether water should be added to new batteries before or after the first charge if needed?
In the past, batteries were shipped not charged - and actually completely dry - but now they typically come ready-to-use. If a battery which came "wet" (containing the normal liquid level) already needs water after one charge cycle, I would be concerned.

Quote:
There seems to be some conflicting information about whether the new battery should be charged before or after installation? Does it make any difference?
The battery should be charged before you try to use it (to avoid accidentally discharging it too far), which means if you have not charged it before you install it, don't have a bunch of stuff turned on (lights, fan, etc), but otherwise I can't see why it would matter in what order you do charging and installation.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:14 PM   #19

Thanks Brian, that helps!
Hopefully I don't blow anything up!