Battery bank in truck???? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2016, 07:08 PM   #1

Name: todd
Trailer: Casita liberty deluxe 17
New York
Battery bank in truck????

Hi I have a casita trailer and it doesn't have good storage for two batteries. Has anyone ever rigged up a solar system where the battery stay in the truck. I have a solar panels on top of the truck, wiring could go to a solar charge controller, then wiring to an inverter and then can we just hook up to the inverter using the big cord coming off of the trailer.
tmaken2157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:26 PM   #2

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Yes RV Sue did just that. Google her she has a blog and on there some where she had it listed.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 03-14-2016, 08:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 19 ft Escape
Battery bank in truck????

Her blog can be found at
http://rvsueandcrew.net

Cheers
Doug
Doug P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:21 AM   #4

New York
Thanks but I have been reading her blog and have not seen any mention of how exactly the power gets to the trailer. And haven't seen a wire coming off the truck to the camper.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:42 AM   #5

New York
I found a bit more but it's still not clear. It looks like a separate wire was installed but there is no explanation as to where and how it gets installed. Guess I'll call up Arizona wind and sun
Old 03-15-2016, 03:38 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaken2157 View Post
Hi I have a casita trailer and it doesn't have good storage for two batteries. Has anyone ever rigged up a solar system where the battery stay in the truck. I have a solar panels on top of the truck, wiring could go to a solar charge controller, then wiring to an inverter and then can we just hook up to the inverter using the big cord coming off of the trailer.
The inverter-AC-converter route is very inefficient. Seems to me you could use the umbilical to power your 12 volt system provided it was the proper gauge, fused, and you maintain the connection. Add an isolation relay to separate the tow vehicle battery so it won't drain when camped. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:51 AM   #7

New York
RV Sues' Mystery Wire

Hi RAz,

I really enjoy RV sue and her blog, my wife and I are planning an adventure like that but its a few years off. But we have the Truck and the Liberty Deluxe to do it. I feel I really need to have two T-105's and the camper modification for that is not something I would look forward to doing. Her modification to the TV looks reasonable and I know once you convert DC to AC you don't worry so much about losses in the wiring. Here is the picture (hopefully uploaded). They didn't use the seven pin. I don't know if it goes to the converter or how it goes to help the trailer battery all they say is

"A cord (or wire, whatever) runs from the battery box underneath the PTV to the bumper, ending in a nice little outlet with a cover.

Another cord (or wire, whatever) runs from somewhere around the refrigerator panel box, underneath the Casita, to extend out along the Casita tongue with a plug on the end."

That's all I can find out so far
Attached Thumbnails
mystery wire.jpg  
Old 03-15-2016, 08:24 AM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I am not familiar with RV Sue's set up. If an inverter is involved then expect very high DC currents. That means large wires. We get by very easily with a single group 24 battery on the tongue and a solar panel for when we stay in one place. Usually folks that go with golf cart batteries are either running a compressor fridge or AC appliances. If that's you're goal I would suggest consulting an electrician. Might be cheaper in the long run to consider a generator. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:48 AM   #9

New York
Hi Raz,

Already have a Yamaha 2400, point being I want quiet solar and would like to know how this system was done. I have a call into Starlight Solar systems where the work was done.

I'll let folks know what I find out.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:15 PM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I plan to add an axillary battery to my van, where the second battery would go, if it was a diesel, (under the van on the drivers side). The plan includes a voltage activated battery isolator. The extra battery would feed the 7 blade trailer connector. The truck can charge both the vehicle battery, and the axillary battery. When the vehicle is not running the trailer can only draw from the axillary battery.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Fredericksburg Gold and Pawn has 2 battery generator packs, 1000w each with Inverters. 5403717800
They are called the quiet, hum less generator.
My guess is that they have lylithum batteries inside.
Provide 12VDC, USB Charging Stations and 120 VAC output.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery