Battery Charger - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #1

Name: Noel
Trailer: 1979 13' Boler
British Columbia
Registry
Battery Charger

I'm a new Boler owner and I'd like to get some opinions on the best charger to get, to recharge the deep cycle battery.

Also, is there an easy way to set up so that the battery charges whenever the AC is plugged in?

Thanks,
Noel
Red-Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Dwarf View Post
I'm a new Boler owner and I'd like to get some opinions on the best charger to get, to recharge the deep cycle battery.

Also, is there an easy way to set up so that the battery charges whenever the AC is plugged in?

Thanks,
Noel
What ever charger you use, as long as it is on,plugged in, and hooked to the battery it will commence charging when plugged into shorepower.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:17 PM   #3

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
What ever charger you use, as long as it is on,plugged in, and hooked to the battery it will commence charging when plugged into shorepower.
I'm wondering about having the charger set up so that when the Boler is plugged in to shore power, it will charge the battery.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:06 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
I'm wondering about having the charger set up so that when the Boler is plugged in to shore power, it will charge the battery.
That's what I meant. If you plug your charger into a 110V outlet inside your Boler, that outlet will be live when the boler is plugged in to Shore power.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:06 AM   #5

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
That's what I meant. If you plug your charger into a 110V outlet inside your Boler, that outlet will be live when the boler is plugged in to Shore power.
So, I would need to connect the charger to both the battery and the 110V outlet?

Does the charger need to be disconnected from both when there's no shore power?

Noel
Old 10-02-2011, 03:05 AM   #6

Name: Joel
Trailer: 1981 Boler
Sarnia, Ontario
Not sure if this is what you are after, but you could get an Intelli-power 9245. it is a Power Converter. it will charge your battery as well as convert 110v to 12v for all your lighting and anything else 12v. they either come with or you can get a little wired controller to show you the current mode and to put it into the mode you want to keep your battery health.

here is a link: http://www.progressivedyn.com/prod_d...pd9245c_2.html

there is a dealer that less these 45amp ones on ebay for $106 dollars and $10 shipping and it comes with the wired mode controller. cheapest place to get them. and you get the 2 year warranty with this person because hes an authorized dealer. Its something to look into anyways.

I'm about to order one soon or maybe wait till spring.

hope this helps

Joel
idiotsniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:59 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
So, I would need to connect the charger to both the battery and the 110V outlet?

Does the charger need to be disconnected from both when there's no shore power?

Noel
No.
It needs to be disconnected from neither when there is no shore power. When there is no shore power the charger outlet is simply without power which means the charger is not connected to 110V power even though it is plugged in.
The connections from the charger to the battery are simply supplying no power to charge the battery unless the 110V outlet is supplying power to the charger by being connected to shorepower.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:36 PM   #8

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
I've done the very same thing as Floyd has talked about here. I have even put a
110v plug where there wasn't one just so it was closer to the battery charger/and battery. I have put several under the front sofa in my Scamp 13's, then just run the wire's from the charger through where the wire's come into the trailer, and to the battery. Works great. I also like getting a smart charger like the Battery Tender Jr. , that won't over charger your battery.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #9

British Columbia
Registry
Do any of you use a battery monitor, like the Tri-metric 2020 or 2025?
Old 10-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #10

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Just a suggestion.
Before I installed my solar panels I would charge my Group 29 deep cycle battery up and then use a battery tender to keep it topped off.
I have a charge line from the TV and usually my trailer battery was fully charged by the time I got home.
It's worked for 5 years.
Digital Charger was $50.00 at Pep Boys and the battery tender was $4.99 on sale at Harbor Freight.
I have all 4 of my ATVs on Harbor Freight Tenders with out a problem. I haven't had to buy an ATV or trailer battery in over 5 years.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery