Battery Charger Needed - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-12-2006, 06:34 PM   #15

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty (Sold 2011)/ Honda Odyssey
Arizona
My new charger worked well, bringing my battery from 80% charge to 100% in just a few minutes. It does generate some RF interference to my radio 20 feet away. Or maybe it just didn't like Rush!

My original Scamp battery doesn't say Deep Cycle but since it has screw terminals can I assume it is?

Old 05-12-2006, 09:10 PM   #16

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Quote:
Or maybe it just didn't like Rush!
How can you tell the difference between screeching RF and Geddy Lees voice?

I am IN my room.

I guess I will have to send myself out of it

Old 05-13-2006, 02:05 AM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
"My original Scamp battery doesn't say Deep Cycle but since it has screw terminals can I assume it is?"

Nope! (Reread my previous post in this thread) Wingnut terminals means it's one of THREE kinds of marine/rv batteries, one of which is deep cycle/trolling, altho if it's the original battery Scamp furnished, then likely it's a deep cycle.

You can sometimes tell by the capacity label:

1. If it only sez Amp Hrs(AH), likely it's a deep cycle/trolling battery.

2. If it sez Marine Cranking Amps (MCA) and Cold Cranking Amps (CCA), likely it's a starting battery.

3. If it sez either MCA or CCA (I forget which) AND it sez AH, then it's a dual purpose (compromise) battery.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:35 AM   #18

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
After reading this thread I've gained a slight understanding about the type of recharging system we ought to have in our trailers, but I'm still a bit confused.

My Bigfoot is 21 years old. It has a convertor built in to it and I was told that the convertor also would recharge the battery when I plugged into shore power. Now, I added a second deep cycle battery and installed a 1500w invertor.

I use the invertor to make coffee on mornings when we are boondocking. I can also run the TV and Dish receiver and be able to have enough juice for a two night weekend. I've used the toaster on mornings also.

After I get back home I plug my trailer into shore power in my driveway to bring the batteries back up. Now, here is where I get into trouble. The convertor charges the batteries back up, but doesn't shut down after they are fully charged and a month or two latter,(if I forget to unplug) the batteries have lost their water and are dead. I refill them with rain water and they come back to life after a week or two plugged into shore power and using the convertor to recharge them. ( at least this occured twice so far).

What can I put inline in my trailer that will stop the recharge juice from boiling my batteries after they charge back up? Is there a smart charger or some sort of control that I can put between my convertor and the batteries that will stop the recharge juice and then open up again if the batteries lose a bit of charge? Is there a way I can keep the trailer plugged in at home so I'll always have cold beer in the fridge and not have to worry about the batteries boiling over?

Paul
Old 05-13-2006, 09:44 AM   #19

Arizona
Paul, your experience is exactly why I wanted a modern charger for keeping my battery charged at home, and quickly recharging after using an inverter on the road.

The charger function built into the converters are known to be rather dumb and dangerous for long-term maintence charging, and I doubt there is anything you can do about it.

I believe some people have replaced their converter with a good charger which makes sense to me, although my converter has a fuse/breaker panel so it would be a little complicated on mine.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:17 AM   #20

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
There are some smart converters with a smart add-on that keeps the onboard battery charged. Check with camping world.

Of course, they are higher priced.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:37 PM   #21

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Andy Earthman
Quote:
There are some smart converters with a smart add-on that keeps the onboard battery charged. Check with camping world.

Of course, they are higher priced.
That what I installed on the UHaul. This is the newer model but its a GREAT deal on this unit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Progressive...sspagenameZWDVW

I ripped out the fuse panel off the old unit and mounted it to a plywood base for use with the new unit. I also added a second fuse block for other 12v items.

A.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:09 AM   #22

I ripped out the 12VDC fuse panel on my converter and simply wrapped it in some foam -- I didn't replace the converter at all.

However, some converters that Scamp has used also have the 120VAC breakers and the shore power cable end incorporated in the converter box, so that's indeed a horse of a different color.

On my old Jayco 16, the old Magnatek converter didn't even have the 12VDC fuses; they were on a separate base next to it.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:34 AM   #23

Arizona
Here's the inside view of the converter Scamp installed in mine. You can see that 2/3 of the space is taken up with fuses and circuit breakers.
Attached Thumbnails
A_C_Mod_13.jpg  
Old 05-17-2006, 06:37 PM   #24

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
I purchased the new converter with the charge wizard from ebay for $125.00. (PD9245C )

Now, as Pete said, the shore power in and the 120 breaker panel and the converter with it's associated fuses, all seem to be closely tied together in my Bigfoot. I'm hopeing that it will not be impossible to replace what I have with this new converter. I am looking forward to being able to plug into shore power when I get home and not have to remember to unplug a few days latter.

If anyone has any sugestions for the installation of the new unit I would welcome the input.

I wish to keep the shore power in and the 120 breakers and only disconnect the converter part of the orig system and replace it with the new.

Paul
Old 05-17-2006, 09:41 PM   #25

On my Scamp's original setup, the 120VAC breakers are mounted in a small breaker box under the sink and the shore power cable goes directly to that box. The converter had a short 120VAC cord with 15A plug and was plugged into duplex convenience outlet right below the breaker box.

That might be the simplest way to do it. Home Despot/Lowers should carry a small box.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:05 PM   #26

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
Camping World today had a Vector smart charger on clearance sale for less than $40. I should have bought it, but it's only been a few months since I bought a dumb one used for $30!
Old 05-18-2006, 05:21 AM   #27

Trailer: Former Scamp owner (now Funfinder and Alite)
I like to keep my battery charged fully even at home. Thus when my RV is not in use, I connect an inexpensive "float" charger that will maintain full charge without damaging the battery by over charging. I leave the 'float" charger connected all winter rather than removing the battery, since the battery is a bit of a chore to remove from my Aliner (the Scamp is much more accessible).

The '"float" charger I use is $7.49 from Harbor Freight Tools (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42292). Be advised, this "float" charger is not intended to charge very quickly if your battery is run down - It could take days, but the charger does have a soild-state circuit that automatically shuts off when the battery reaches full charge.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:36 PM   #28

Trailer: 1973 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
I purchased the new converter with the charge wizard from ebay for $125.00. (PD9245C )

Now, as Pete said, the shore power in and the 120 breaker panel and the converter with it's associated fuses, all seem to be closely tied together in my Bigfoot. I'm hopeing that it will not be impossible to replace what I have with this new converter. I am looking forward to being able to plug into shore power when I get home and not have to remember to unplug a few days latter.

If anyone has any sugestions for the installation of the new unit I would welcome the input.

I wish to keep the shore power in and the 120 breakers and only disconnect the converter part of the orig system and replace it with the new.

Paul
Paul:

I'm interested in how the installation of the PD9245C goes; please provide details and pictures when you're putting it in. Thanks!

Dale

Tags
battery