Battery charger with equalizer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2015, 08:19 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Airstream International CCD 28
Florida
Battery charger with equalizer

I am in search of a three stage stand alone charger with an equalization button. I want to equalize at 15.5 volts per Trojans data sheet.

This needs to operate off my 110 V service with alligator clips for the batteries. I have searched and find a number of converter chargers but they are all hard wired into the trailer.

Suggestions appreciated.

4 T 105s
450 AH
320 V Grape solar
Blue Sky controller wit IPN Pro Remote
Full Florida sunlight

The solar cannot get up to the AMPS needed to equalize those four Trojans according to Blue Sky tech support

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-04-2015, 10:17 AM   #2

Name: Bill & Jeanie
Trailer: Building camper in Ram Promaster van
North Carolina
David
In my opinion Iota chargers are the best you will find. I believe they will do everything you are looking for and they have great tech support. Give them a call and discuss your situation. Iota
wbullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:42 AM   #3

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbullivant View Post
David
In my opinion Iota chargers are the best you will find. I believe they will do everything you are looking for and they have great tech support. Give them a call and discuss your situation. Iota
Just took a look at these, but curiously it does not state what their equalization charge is in terms of volts output, or even if its programable. It does however state the float, bulk, and absorption stage amounts. Go figure. They don't appear to be stand alone either unless I missed something. Rather it appears the intent of these is to install into what ever situation is needed, i.e. RV's etc.

Thanks
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:54 AM   #4

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Quick followup. Just saw this discussion regarding equalization on RV.net. Here is the link. Interesting how some folks who also seem very knowledgeable don't take Handy Bob too seriously. I think there is some very good points made in this conversation.

Equalize Batts with which charger???? - iRV2 Forums
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:05 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
In one of the videos on the Trojan site, the host mentions equalization and says if your charger doesn't have an equalization setting, you can simply unplug it and then plug it in again to achieve the same thing.
I couldn't find the instructions anywhere in the written copy on the site and in the video it's about 10 seconds long, if that.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:10 AM   #6

Name: Garbonz
Trailer: Bigfoot
Colorado
Try CTEK

garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:25 AM   #7

Name: Garbonz
Trailer: Bigfoot
Colorado
I have this one. The "recondition cycle" is what you want to use once. For a large battery bank, like yours separate them into smaller 12v modules and run them through the cycle. The are not high amp units and will gently bring your batteries up to snuff, then you can run them for awhile using your onboard system. Portable and very very good.

http://smartercharger.com/products/b...multi-us-7002/

garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery