Battery Charging - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1984 13' UHaul
Louisiana
Registry
Hey Ed, that small of a solar panel is only good for a float charge and that is if there is NO hidden discharging going on.
I would find a 10 watt panel, they're fairly cheap now. Of course, even with a 10 watt panel you may want to invest in a charge controller. That will enable you to leave it unattended without worries.
Don't forget, a battery also needs attention before a trip (water & connections check).

Old 08-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #16
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Hey Ed, sounds like you are making progress. Yea, 1.8 watts is a little small for recharge. That size panel is great for maintaining a trickle charge. Kind of like a bucket with a small hole and a dripping faucet. The water level stays about the same. My panel is 42 watts and most times is more than I need. Raz

Old 08-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #17
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Missed Mike's post. I was going to suggest a minimum of 20 watts but 10 might do the job. Raz
Old 08-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1984 13' UHaul
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Missed Mike's post. I was going to suggest a minimum of 20 watts but 10 might do the job. Raz
I had a 10 watt panel that did a good job of maintenance. That's why I recommended it.
Currently, I have a 125 and a 64 watt. My amperage needs (read that- fridge) are a little more than the average Fiberglasser!
Old 08-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #19

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1979 Triple e / 6cyl 09 Escape
Northern Ontario
Thanks everyone for your comments. Slowly but surely I am managing to figure out the tweaks that make things just a mite better :-)

I'm going to hunt up a 10 or 20 watt panel to use while on the road and use the 1.8 to trickle charge over the winter months. I am thinking of installing an isolator and running a line back from the engine starting battery to my triple e battery to maintain a charge and run the fridge while driving and use propane or 110 while stopped, whichever might be available.

Appreciate your comments ,

Ed
Old 08-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #20

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfsideEd View Post
I am thinking of installing an isolator and running a line back from the engine starting battery to my triple e battery to maintain a charge and run the fridge while driving and use propane or 110 while stopped, whichever might be available.
Good plan, but don't use a battery isolator that is just two diodes dividing the power. Diodes have a 0.7V drop across them.

A better, but a bit more complicated, solution is to use a relay like a starting solenoid, but rated for continuous use. Connect the coil to come on when the engine is running, (accessory circuit?). This gives you an automatic switch to disconnect power from the trailer when the TV is off.

This is also less expensive then a traditional battery isolator.

Tags
battery, surfside