Battery discharge prevention - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #1

Name: lyle
Trailer: Trillium
Michigan
Registry
Battery discharge prevention

The search engine doesn't seem to be working today, so pardon if this subject has been discussed before. I left an interior light on for a few days and my battery is completely discharged (probably ruined). My bad, but this is the second time this year and Ultimas ain't cheap. Since it appears that I'm unlikely to smarten up any time soon I was wondering if anyone had experience/recommendations for a battery discharge device that will shut down the system if it is close to being dangerously discharged?
Thanks in advance. Lyle
clyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Charge your battery for a couple of days and test it.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I remember seeing a device that would shut off the power drain on the battery when critical 50% is achieved, but I don't remember what is was called or where I saw it. Try asking about this kind of device at a Radio Shack, Batteries Plus, or other such establishment. I have changed out the incandescent light bulbs to LED light bulb replacements, and have a 100 watt solar panel perm. mounted, so it is more than capable of keeping up with the scant drain of an LED light. You could try hanging a sign over the exit or on the door handle to remind you to turn off the lights (simple and cheep).
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
How about something like this? LVD 12, 12V Low Voltage Disconnect
Old 07-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
David's suggestion of LEDs is excellent. You can't leave them on long enought to discharge.

I would not replace your battery. In our first year we dicharged our RV batteries when we left it in storage for a month. Once we recharged them they were still good at the end of 8 years.

Definitely give the battery a chance to recover.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Some solar chargers also have a 12V disconnect built in. I've got one in this family:
http://www.phocos.com/products/cx-series-10-40a The low voltage alarm can be a PITA if you are dropping low at night. I'll have to check the manual, I think I found a way to turn it off.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery