Battery Discharging While On Shore Power - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-21-2012, 06:07 AM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Now I wonder how mine is wired. I think I wired it to a breaker.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #16

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Bob, If you did not wire the black converter wire to a sub breaker, you would know pretty soon, as the battery would deplete in under an hour with your interior lights on, at least this is what happened to me....it is very easy to see, if you just open the front and look at the black wire coming from the converter and it has to go to a sub breaker, not the hot 110 small connector at the extreme right bottom side of the converter. Jim

jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #17

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
Well, a simple thing to do would be to disconnect the battery while you're on shore power. If the lights go out then there's a problem with the converter. While you have the battery disconnected and you're still on shore power, check the battery charging output from the converter with a volt meter. It should be in the 13 or 14V range. If you find there's a problem, immediately turn off power and check that you have everything wired up in accordance with the installation manual. Then start checking fuses. You should be able to pull them out and see if they're blown or not. If all that doesn't help, it's not out of the range of possibility that you got a bad converter. Call the factory.
Terry, You mentioned that when the battery is disconnected and I am on shore power I will still get power to the DC lights. You are correct, and I was not getting power, but now everything works OK
I was wondering why this works. I thought that when the battery was disconnected I would not have any lights in the trailer....is it because the converter is taking over from the battery...I am assuming the converter is actually replacing the battery as power to the lights. After all these years I am learning something new every day, thanks to this forum. Jim
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #18

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmied View Post
Terry, You mentioned that when the battery is disconnected and I am on shore power I will still get power to the DC lights. You are correct, and I was not getting power, but now everything works OK
I was wondering why this works. I thought that when the battery was disconnected I would not have any lights in the trailer....is it because the converter is taking over from the battery...I am assuming the converter is actually replacing the battery as power to the lights. After all these years I am learning something new every day, thanks to this forum. Jim
Jim, As someone noted in one of the previous posts, your assumption is correct. The converter is providing 12V to the trailer and charging the battery at the same time when you are on shore power. And I agree--any time you have an older trailer, it is bound to be one learning experience after another. I guess it keeps us from being bored.

Terry

Tags
battery